IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unwritten rule
6/13/13, 1:16 PM   #11
Re: Unwritten rule
c47

the main hint that something was horribly wrong last night was they stopped the show and left the car on the track. that is a nj law written by the state police racing division. before the car can be moved, they have to investigate the accident. part of the problem was that they didnt announce what was going on to the crowd in the stands and most people dont know about the rule not to move the car.

6/13/13, 1:22 PM   #12
GFMMInc

I agree with both sides of the fence on this issue. I say you do not release any photos to the public eye. However, continue taking photos and turn them over to the authorities like a previous post stated. It can help determine what happened and hopefully make our sport safer by designing new technology and safety equipment to make sure all of the racers can go home safe at the end of the race. Just my 2 cents...

2 members like this post: KRJoyce1, mscs20
6/13/13, 1:47 PM   #13
USSA Racer

Please allow me to clarify what happens at a race track in the worst case situation to meet the legal requirements of the Federal HIPPA Act and to also protect the feelings of the family of the individual. The following is an excerpt from a memo to all of our officials:

"Late in 2003 the Federal Government passed a law called “Health Information Portability and Accountability Act” (HIPAA). Anyone who has been in a doctor’s office since this has passed knows the precaution the medical industry is taking and the paperwork they are providing to protect themselves. Persons involved in auto racing are definitely not immune from this law, as it is presently written, and race officials could be especially vulnerable.

This law prevents anyone (doctors, EMTs, ambulance crews, hospitals, tracks, track announcers and officials) from disclosing any patient information. This includes radio transmissions that might be overheard or intercepted! The consequences of violating the act are federal fines and potential lawsuits from the patient and/or their family.

The only persons who may legally release information are the patient, a designated family member or a person with power-of-attorney."

4 members like this post: Buckeye_Openwheel, fish, jim goerge, TQ29m
6/13/13, 2:06 PM   #14
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

There really is no media anymore. There is some half witted “fan” sitting in the stands who happened to take a picture and put it on twitter. Lots of “racing websites” are just some guy sitting in his mom’s basement trying to feel important. Local news is all just aggregated junk, and someone trying to be the middleman who thinks they are the “source”.

I posted a photo to facebook last week of one of our local sport stock cars who broke a front U-joint, sending the car catapulting down the track. Only after I watched the driver get out of the car with my own eyes, and I asked him if he was alright, did I post that photo! I have fortunately only photographed one driver suffer life altering injuries in my time, and he and I are the only two people who have seen those photos.

My thoughts are with his family. Let’s hope we don’t have to discuss how ignorant some people can be too often.

5 members like this post: davidm, fish, jim goerge, pavement#23, Phylo82
6/13/13, 2:47 PM   #15
reeserx

I was watching the news last night and they had a helicopter flying over the track trying to get a shot of the car...no respect just trying to get that "shot" such a sad thing

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Bostonian, pavement#23
6/13/13, 2:48 PM   #16
Buckeye_Openwheel
Inactive Member

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 30

Thank you USSA Racer that is something that everyone should be familiar with if they choose to cover racing, eventhough you'd have to go well beyond what I think is the ethical line to technically violate the HIPAA act. Now if your just some Joe in the stands I guess its your call how your choose to handle the situation but if your media covering the race or event staff you need to adhere to some standard of ethics.

I'm very pleased that someone else understands HIPAA and has relayed it to their staff, so a big hats off to you USSA Racer

Regards, Pete Smith
Staff Writer LuvRacin.com

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: fish
6/13/13, 4:30 PM   #17

As much as I agree with this thread, the sad truth is without a picture, there is no news. That is today's society. All of the social media stuff, if there is a picture, people will read and comment. If no picture, many will just breeze by.

Now I will say before I started racing, my dad sat me down and showed me what can happen. I was young and dumb. The picture made it reality and it sunk in hard.

6/13/13, 5:06 PM   #18
Bad Dad 54

I believe read once that photo guy got the whooping of his life for taking pictures of a race fatality. Seen some pics on Facebook but I didn't share'm. I feel so bad for the families of drivers have been lost in a racing accident. I lost a clos personal friend years ago to a racing accident. It sucks big time

6/13/13, 5:48 PM   #19

I have been around racing my whole life. Specifically sprint car racing. Between my father and I, there has never been a time where there wasn’t a race car around to work on.

In that time, I have witnessed two fatalities. One of which, I stared into the drivers eyes as his life was passing.

Anyone who has witnessed this does not want to see it again. And anyone who has not doesn’t need too.

Tom Paterson

5 members like this post: Colin Casserley, fish, pavement#23, Phylo82, Xflagman
6/13/13, 5:50 PM   #20
Sprintcarfanatic

I found out this morning about Jason & did see the pic on another board. Car didn't look bad as far as roll cage. You just never know, Really feel bad for his little one. Condolences to his Family & Friends.
My wife worked at a Path Lab & couldn't tell me what was up if my paperwork come across her desk.
Last edited by Sprintcarfanatic; 6/13/13 at 5:50 PM. Reason: spelled word wrong

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unwritten rule