IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I have a stupid question that I'm dumb enough to ask
2/15/16, 6:00 PM   #1
I have a stupid question that I'm dumb enough to ask
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Could the Silver Crown Series run a road course, in particular the Indy Road Course?

I know its a direct drive, so no shifting which is a problem, but I believe the indy course of all pretty quick with a couple slower turns that the Crown cars could maybe lug throw and still have an interesting event.

Just a idea that came to mid thinking how boring the F2000 and Mazda cars can be.

Now you guys can tear me apart.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Tony74, turn4
2/15/16, 6:11 PM   #2
Re: I have a stupid question that I'm dumb enough to ask
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
Could the Silver Crown Series run a road course, in particular the Indy Road Course?

I know its a direct drive, so no shifting which is a problem, but I believe the indy course of all pretty quick with a couple slower turns that the Crown cars could maybe lug throw and still have an interesting event.

Just a idea that came to mid thinking how boring the F2000 and Mazda cars can be.

They ran a sports car race at I think Lime Rock back in the 50's that was won by Rodger Ward in a Midget and I believe that Midgets ran a couple other races on a road courses as well.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/15/16, 6:28 PM   #3
interpreter66

Quote:

Now if you would have said a wing car they would have ripped you a new a## ####

2 members like this post: Backitin, Ty
2/15/16, 7:02 PM   #4
B99

Why not?

Dirt cars have run road courses before and I'm pretty sure they had no transmission.

Roadsters have run road courses.

I've often thought it would be interesting to see them on a road circuit.

A RC that isn't too tight would be best. Biggest problem might be that the dirt cars are not weighted to turn right.

2/15/16, 7:19 PM   #5
Puppy

Quote:

Gets me everytime... What's boring about them??? Could it be the old "dont like them NOT because of what they ARE, but because of what they ARENT"?????? If I can turn into a fan of these cars, anybody can. You have to want to though...
If we really want to see B.C. succeed in IndyCar, he needs to have plenty of time in these cars as well!
Last edited by Puppy; 2/15/16 at 11:06 PM.

1 member likes this post: Russ
2/15/16, 8:04 PM   #6
TQ29m

There's only one dumb question, the one you don't ask, had you stopped there, it would have only been that, but you didn't, he has to have seat time in something, and that and go-karts are about the only options, and some or most of the best, still run karts, to keep the mindset updated. Bob

2/15/16, 10:06 PM   #7
treecitytornado

Didn't Aaron Pierce do some testing at Putnam Park in a Speedway Champ Car a few years ago??

2/15/16, 10:38 PM   #8
Speedwrench

There were some dirt cars that ran the indy car road races at IRP in the sixties. Not sure of other road racing outings for the dirt cars.

FWIW: the car Ward ran at Lime Rock - Kenny Brenn's, I believe - had a two speed transmission and a two speed rear end.

2 members like this post: CRA91, jim goerge
2/16/16, 12:16 AM   #9
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Seen a Sprinter running at Summit Point before.

5 members like this post: fish, fishnman, jim goerge, luckybuc97, nathans1012
2/16/16, 12:50 AM   #10
team3521

Maybe that would be a good idea for wiping the dust off of those "gold crown cars"
Make them into a road course car with a clutch and transmission..
Maybe Andy could create another division for road course crown racing. I'd love it!
You'd see the drivers go to the front.

2 members like this post: rockstar5, treecitytornado
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I have a stupid question that I'm dumb enough to ask