IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora
9/3/13, 12:39 PM   #1
Four Crown at Eldora
larsonfan
Banned

A few weeks out from the 2013 4-Crown Nationals at the Eldora Fairgrounds (insert sacasm here). Well, 3-crowns since they took the fourth crown away from the mods and gave it to another division (more sarcasm). Any reason to think the numbers will be any different from 2012 (if I remember, about 30 sprints, and in the teens for the midgets and SC? I miss the good ole days of the FC but still love the event. Anybody think Larson will run? Still remember last year's crash.

9/3/13, 12:59 PM   #2
Re: Four Crown at Eldora
johnnythunderhead
Banned

most certainly not in a sprint car and with all the s c cars in moth balls and the midgets in storage gathering dust until they can run indoors, I suspect the car counts will remain the same/ but I too love this event!!!

3 members like this post: larsonfan, speed bump, team3521
9/3/13, 1:53 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

One, You go and support it, Two, You don't.

I went a few years ago only because I had a dust out ticket from the USAC opener and the track was crap after the Outlaws got done with it. I didn't go the next year and Larson Swept. Kick myself for missing that one.

Truth is, Its a good event that needs made better somehow. Used to go every year late 80s early 90s and Earl even rolled out the Ten to win each and ten for a sweep. Can remember 40+ Sprints usually about 25 midgets and 20-30 champ cars and a wazoo of first Late Models and then Mods.

Eldora should put the mods back on the card if anything for fan turnout and have a Two thousand bonus for winning two, Five thousand for three and ten thousand for all four bonus.. Friday and Saturday with Rain date of Sunday.

Move the Outlaws to the Sprintacular!

Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/3/13 at 2:43 PM.

9/3/13, 2:16 PM   #4
larsonfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
One, You go and support it, Two, You don't.

I went a few years only because I had a dust out ticket from the USAC opener and the track was crap after the Outlaws got done with it. I didn't go the next year and Larson Swept. Kick myself for missing that one.

Truth is, Its a good event that needs made better somehow. Used to go every year late 80s early 90s and Earl even rolled out the Ten to win each and ten for a sweep. Can remember 40+ Sprints usually about 25 midgets and 20-30 champ cars and a wazoo of first Late Models and then Mods.

Eldora should put the mods back on the card if anything for fan turnout and have a Two thousand bonus for winning two, Five thousand for three and ten thousand for all four bonus.. Friday and Saturday with Rain date of Sunday.

Move the Outlaws to the Sprintacular!

Chuck
I could not agree with you more. I was going to say more in my original post. I feel the 4 Crown is a shadow of what it once was. They made a huge mistake giving the fourth crown to the Outlaws. I'm sorry, but I think Schatz, fill in the name....could give two craps about the fact that they've won one of the crowns - give them the money and they hit the road. Seeing Jack win all four crowns years ago was THE highlight of my racing fan "career". This event needs fixing - by someone please! Making the mods the fourth crown again would be a good start!

Eldora has lost their focus on racing (hence the Eldora Fairgrounds comment). The 4 Crowns is a wonderful event.....but it seems to be on life support right now.
Last edited by larsonfan; 9/3/13 at 2:17 PM.

2 members like this post: DWX 9929, speed bump
9/3/13, 2:42 PM   #5
PIT CART

I hate to say this but I love the new format. I enjoy watching the outlaws on Friday night and USAC on Saturday . JMO

3 members like this post: fish, Geoff Kaiser, TBONE
9/3/13, 4:41 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

I was planning on giving this a miss and going to Macon,but Johnnythunderhead says there are only about 19 or so midgets,and most of them are in mothballs waiting for the indoor races. Maybe I should have 2nd thoughts on this and go to Eldora instead as the sprint cars will make up for it. I'd hate to drive all the way over to Macon and find just a few midgets there.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/3/13 at 4:43 PM.

5 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, Kellen Conover, Steve Wendel, vitron
9/3/13, 6:13 PM   #7
dirt330

Its a family tradition for me to take my son, and grandsons to the 3 Crown Saturday and camp out. Nothing beats a all guys family weekend, cooking on campfire, telling them stories of the good old days of racing. This is a great way to get the younger generation interested in racing. They where even surprised grandpa can cook, just not as good as grandma. Even if its a low car count its beats not beinging at the race track.

9/3/13, 8:08 PM   #8
monkeyboy

Why wouldn't you go to the four crown? Both nights are nothing but thrilling. Ya the car counts ain't what they used to be cry rivers about it if you like. But it's still one of the best times all year. So belly up to the bar and enjoy the show

2 members like this post: Osborn, vitron
9/3/13, 8:51 PM   #9
larsonfan
Banned

I'll still go, at least to the Sat portion. Hope springs eternal. I've lived in Ohio since '97 and haven't missed one 4c yet. I like to go early on Sat and watch the 1/4 midgets run on little E.

2 members like this post: dirt330, TQ97
9/3/13, 9:50 PM   #10
johnnythunderhead
Banned

if you're going to see a midget show elsewhere instead of the 4 crowns, just remember the bada** midgets will be at the 4 crowns, so don't count on any of them being elsewhere. I agree that this race needs something to revitalize it in order of providing some interest and excitement to rebuild the fan base, Eldora should put more emphasis on this race, sh**can the woo and add the ascoc or 360 bandits and once again pay $10,000.00 each class for the win and another $10,000.00 for a sweep and maybe some of those s c's in moth balls and a few of those midgets in hiding would come out of the closet? and yes I was there to witness jack win all four and then enjoyed the jubilation of his campsite that nite. ironically it was the 1st 4 crowns that baltes did not pay the $10,000.00 bonus for winning all four. I made mention of that to jack, who lamented, "oh hell I don't care, i'd'a just pissed it away, and no one can ever take this feeling away!" i'm hoping the track prep guys will tear it up and water the b-hesus out of it after the woo pack it down/ I am jones-ing for a race and I am really looking forward to the 4 crown, might even attend the woo on fri., they put on a good show there a couple years ago.
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 9/5/13 at 9:17 PM.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, larsonfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora