IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > FloSports camera coverage
1/22/20, 9:06 PM   #1
FloSports camera coverage
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Ok so this bugged me last year and watching the winter nationals from East Bay they are doing the same thing. When the leader crosses the finish line, the cameraman leaves the camera stationary at the finish line instead of panning back to other battles on the track. Then we are left with watching blurs cross the finish line. Just because the leader takes the checkered flag doesn’t mean the racing is over. I don’t care if it’s for 2nd and 3rd or 7th to 8th. Exciting stuff still happens. I want Flo to improve and succeed, so I’m hoping this gets several likes. I know there are USAC officials and Flo employees that are on this forum. I have already sent them a email about this, but the more likes we can get maybe will bring change.

Thank you.

1/22/20, 9:44 PM   #2
Crankin

It’s not just Flo.
Seems to be a common theme.
They’re showing a great battle of 3 cars for a final transfer spot, announcer is going nuts calling the action of 3 desperate racers trying to make the show. The race is fantastic as you get to see the 3 cars about to make that final slider heading into 3, and then POOF, your suddenly taken to the finish line so you can see the checkered flag wave for the guy that won by a 1/2 straightaway. Grrrrr.

It’s like there’s some federal law that the winner must be shown crossing the line, no matter how un-entertaining it may be? Or it must cost the production team a ton of $ to use a split screen?

I mean, i get it in the big races/A Mains, but where is it written that we must watch the winner, no matter how far ahead, cross the line in a qualifying race?
At least on the CB broadcasts they were consistent..... they froze the camera on the finish line after the winner crossed every time, for every race, for 6 nights.... No matter how exciting the things going on behind were. 🙄

5 members like this post: billw, dirt330, erich45, ossuks, RockinRy
1/22/20, 10:57 PM   #3
Re: FloSports camera coverage
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I complained about this about a year ago, but I can't remember whether it was to Flo or its predecessor. Either way, I agree with this complaint.

1 member likes this post: Chief Wahoo
1/22/20, 11:34 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Agreed 100% Last years midget race had KTJ come from fifth to second on the last lap and we seen none of it. The leader crossed the line and we watched THE LINE.

1 member likes this post: Chief Wahoo
1/23/20, 9:22 AM   #5
fourteen fan

Agree. I emailed them all last year, Dirtvision, speedshift and Flo. Speedshift got a little better, but yes drives me crazy as well as the camera man not tied in with the announcers.

1 member likes this post: RockinRy
1/23/20, 10:58 AM   #6
Harleyburns16

also after they introduce the guy qualifying which is normally done within the first lap let the second lap just be the sound of the engine.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
1/23/20, 1:13 PM   #7
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Also, we don't ever need to see a car pulling into the infield or pit while there is any action on the track.

1/24/20, 12:42 PM   #8
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

What's aggravating to the highest degree is when they will be showing a battle for a transfer, or any spot, and then cut away to the leader in 3&4 taking the checker and then pull back and never return to the battle.
I think dirtvision got some better at not doing that, Lucas Oil Productions is pretty terrible at doing that and generally being over produced.

I don't know if it's a lack of camera men or what. Because a camera should always be on the leader and another on what ever the hottest battle is at the least. If you cut away to the leader taking the flag, cut right back to the real race. NOW in times where there just isn't much happening in a particular heat, which we know happens, the pulling back and just showing all the cars crossing the line is a fine thing to do.

As far as wanting the commentator to match what's on screen, I could not disagree more! I really like the dirtvision, Flo, & speedshift format where it's the announcers at track announcing the entire race not just what's on the screen. I can see what's on the video screen, I can't see anything else so Johnny Gibson or Rob Klepper giving me an audio picture of what else is going on on the race track in addition to what I can see, plus how the announcers can be the cue to change camera shots and battles is spectacular compare to Major Network Telecasts. On MavTv (Lucas Oil Productions) or NASCAR on either network, the commentators seem to generally just be watching the screen and talking over those pictures. That just adds so little, because like I said I can see the screen, bring in more information about things I can't see in the moment!

Now take the reverse of that and expect a camera switch every time the announcer picks up a new piece of action, I think you have 2 problems. I think the feed would become too choppy with camera switches (a big gripe I have with LOP and NASCAR coverage). It doesn't need to be over produced and jumping around; I feel like most folks are doing a pretty good job with criticism here and there. The other issue is I doubt that there are enough boots on the ground to quickly find each change the announcer can make it laying out the entire race. Trying to have your limited cameras keep changing focus would likely literally lead to them getting lost. (Think 1979 Daytona 500 when no one on the TV side had any idea where Petty and Waltrip were).
Last edited by brsteg; 1/24/20 at 12:48 PM.

1 member likes this post: billw
1/24/20, 1:09 PM   #9
flagboy55

I’m sure it will all be improved when they get more capital to improve production

1 member likes this post: captrat
1/24/20, 2:47 PM   #10
hsracer338

I think it may be difficult depending on how many cameras they have. But I would like to see them do a picture and picture for the end of the race. If the battle for 3rd is a nail biter, show it on the main screen and have the winner who has walked everyone on a smaller window in the corner. I feel like this would be the option that pleases the most people. But just my thoughts

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > FloSports camera coverage