IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
1/9/12, 9:42 PM   #1
Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
racecrzy

Did a search but did not find what I was really looking for. I am looking at some type of head and neck restraint and would like some opinions from those who are using them what is best and why. I drive a 1000 cc lightning sprint and want to be able to get in and out of the car safely, I do not have a full containment seat but that is an option also. Thanks in advance.

Dave

1/10/12, 9:45 AM   #2
Re: Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

I use the hybrid pro. Have had it since 2009 my first year in micros. Staying with me through my career (or the life of the device, whichever comes first...hopefully the life of the device!) I know people who have used the hutchins, but its got way too many straps. The HANS is popular, but in a frontal impact wreck, you can easily break your collarbone(s) because of how the device lays across your shoulders.

1/10/12, 10:20 AM   #3
racecrzy

Does it use the belts at all or is it independant and use the driver as the anchor?

1/10/12, 11:15 AM   #4
darnall

I have worn a HANS once. Have never worn a Hybrid or Defender. I do own and use a D-Cell, the one that was designed and marketed for open wheel/multi angle impact uses...and I really really like it. It's very similar to a hutchens device but with fewer straps and doesn't anchor the same way as the hutchens (instead of one strap under your crotch it has 2 that wrap around each upper thigh just below the pelvis) It uses the pelvis as the anchor and is basically like wearing a repelling harness. It has no impact on the fit and feel of the shoulder harnesses like some of the HANS type devices. Has a quick release tether on each side that you can tape or velcro to the front of your helmet to make finding it easier. I seem to be able to get out of the car easier with it on than with the HANS, it's way more comfy on the shoulders, and still lets me feel the same in the seat as not using a device...the HANS felt like it made me sit different.

The only drawback with MY D-cell is that I purchased it before SFI had a rating system for head/neck restraints so it doesn't have that little tag on it. It seems like I read that D-Cells are now SFI certified but since mine doesn't have the tag I bet I wouldn't be allowed to race with it with any sanction that mandates SFI certification and enforces the rule. I have used it with a couple of midget series that require an SFI device, explained to them what I had and they told me it was OK, but I imagine USAC would tell me no. Heck I once watched USAC reject a sprint car from passing inspection because of no steering wheel nose pad....then they told the driver that he could duct tape a shop rag on the wheel and be allowed to race

1/10/12, 11:19 AM   #5
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecrzy View Post
Does it use the belts at all or is it independant and use the driver as the anchor?
The shoulder belts do go over it but there are straps that go around the driver that hold it in place. Like was said above, it works laterally as well as frontal and can take multiple frontal impacts.

We just purchased two Hybrid Pro Rages at the shootout for my son in his 600 mini and me. The Pro Rage will save a little money as it is a carbon fiber and composite as opposed to the full carbon fiber model.

The other good thing about this system is it is not restricted to certain seat inclines. That is to say if you race a sprint car one week in an upright seat and a mod the next in a lay back seat the system will work with both. The Hans will not.

I did a lot of research on H&N systems and to me this was the best fit for open wheel dirt cars. Lots of professional sprint car and late model drivers are using this system. We spoke with Safety Solutions (Simpson) at the shootout and he made some very good points that getting out of the car in a hurry is much easier with this system, especially if you are running a late model or modified with the smaller window openings.

They will be back at the Chili Bowl this week if you are attending it. If so, bring your helmet as they will install the anchor devices for you at no extra charge.
Last edited by Texan; 1/10/12 at 11:21 AM.

1/10/12, 11:27 AM   #6
darnall

Another thing I like about it is that I can use it in conjunction with my neck collar...that helps eliminate compression of the neck and adds another layer of fire resistant material between the helmet and neck area...and also helps keep dust from getting inside the helmet.

1/10/12, 11:49 AM   #7
Quantrill

Dfender, love it and would not wear anything else.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/10/12, 12:33 PM   #8
Phylo82

While the neck restraint is very important it is only one piece of the safety puzzle. I would not let my kid drive a car that did not have a full containment seat. A HANs or other neck device protects the head/neck from back to front.....it won't help with side to side, that's where the seat comes into play.

1/10/12, 12:48 PM   #9
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I use the Hybrid Pro. Put it to the test the 2nd time I wore it when I killed a car against concrete. It worked well, no neck pain, and both my eyes pointed on the same direction. I'm just not comfortable with something between my belts.and my shoulders, so I was resistant to wearing a Hans device.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/10/12, 1:08 PM   #10
Quantrill

Dfder is lateral and horizon protection. Made for open wheel dirt cars. I have containment seat, crows nest on both sides and dfender. Maybe a little overkill but one of our lightning sprint drivers was killed 3 years ago most likly because of shaken baby sindrum. Sorry I don't know the medical term. Who knows of the H&N would of help but I am not taken a chance.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?