IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2011 Indiana Sprint Week
6/15/11, 10:52 AM   #1
2011 Indiana Sprint Week
Texan

Looks like I have business in the Indy area the week of USAC's Indiana Sprint week. I've decided to fly in early to hit the Saturday and Sunday shows. Can someone tell me where is a good place to stay Saturday night? I'm not real familiar with the Kokomo area. I'm good for Sunday on.

Also, can one just purchase tickets at the gate or does this thing sell out?

I'll be bringing my 11 year old son with me so any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

6/15/11, 11:55 AM   #2
'2011' Indiana Sprint Week!!......
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Kelly,good fo you!!...up top here,'Bill' has listed race area hotels!!...also Hotwire.com,Hotels.com to name a few sites for rooms....earlier the better for tix...as peeps in motorhome lot will be there already to put down blankets....at Kokomo,they form lines early to: 1.)put down blankets...2.)line up to purchase tix!!....this will getya close...others will have some other tips as well............

6/15/11, 6:50 PM   #3
Re: 2011 Indiana Sprint Week
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

For the past 9 years I have stayed at the Super 8, but I stayed at the Kokomo Days Inn and Suites during midget week and liked it better. Moderate price, very friendly people, excellent WiFi hookup, good room. It has a good restaurant on the premises. I will be staying there from now on.

I agree with Brucer' about getting there early. If you want to get pit passes, sit in the north end of the grandstand (the turn #1 end). The pits begin right at the end of the grandstand, making it easy to go down and get the lineups at the USAC trailer if that is something you would be interested in. If you park near the pit gate, that makes it easy to just walk around the end of the grandstand and out the pit gate to your car after the races are over, missing the congestion at the main grandstand exit.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
6/16/11, 9:20 AM   #4
Texan

Thank you both for the info. I'm assuming with an 11 year old, a minors release would be required for him to get into the pits? We both race so we are comfortable in the pits (know what to look out for) and this might be something we would like to do (get up close to some of the cars and drivers).

What time does an event like this usually end? Should we stay there in Kokomo or if it ends say before midnight, travel back to Indy? I may take my son to the Brickyard on Sunday for a tour (assuming they are open then) so we will be spending time there anyway.

What about the other venues? Any tips on them? We will be coming back to Texas on Friday so we should hit all the shows between Saturday and Thursday.

6/16/11, 10:01 AM   #5
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Thank you both for the info. I'm assuming with an 11 year old, a minors release would be required for him to get into the pits? We both race so we are comfortable in the pits (know what to look out for) and this might be something we would like to do (get up close to some of the cars and drivers).

What time does an event like this usually end? Should we stay there in Kokomo or if it ends say before midnight, travel back to Indy? I may take my son to the Brickyard on Sunday for a tour (assuming they are open then) so we will be spending time there anyway.

What about the other venues? Any tips on them? We will be coming back to Texas on Friday so we should hit all the shows between Saturday and Thursday.
The Brickyard is open every day of the year except Christmas so you are good to go there. I live on the westside of Indy and am home from Kokomo in an hour each Sunday so as long as you get out of the parking lot in good time you should have no problem staying in Indy afterwards. There are scores of motels on the northside of Indy.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/7/11, 11:30 AM   #6
Texan

Thanks.

Any other last minute suggestions? We leave Saturday. Can't wait!

1 member likes this post: Sickfan
7/7/11, 12:32 PM   #7
farriswheel

Have fun! This is the greatest time of the year for sprint car fans! We are staying just outside of Indy, its within an hour or so of Kokomo/Gas city and only a couple hours from the burg...see ya'll there

7/7/11, 12:37 PM   #8
Gregg

Agree with what others have said. At the 'burg I usually try to get there around 4ish to do some roaming on the pits. The main entrance will probably not open until five if history repeats itself but either pit entrances should get you a pit pass earlier. You will have no problem getting a seat at the 'burg but remember, first come first serve. I hope to see you there, Texan.

7/7/11, 12:38 PM   #9
micro94

Enjoy your stay and some of the best non-wing sprint car racin you will see anywhere. Be safe and have fun.

7/7/11, 6:10 PM   #10
Texan

Thanks

We have our plane tickets, our rental car ready, hotel reservations made, and maps printed out. We don't really get to see non wing sprints here so this will be a big treat for us.

The toughest venue I think for us to make will be THAT. We are staying in Columbus and I have to work 'till five that day and be there at eight the following morning. It looks to be about a 2 hour drive or so each way. I'm a little concerned with all the talk on here about THAT but we will probably go ahead and make the trip.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2011 Indiana Sprint Week