IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No. 51 Sprinter Driver pics (1970's)
1/17/20, 12:48 PM   #21
Re: No. 51 Sprinter Driver pics (1970's)
Dougherty20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Powers always made a point to tell me that his "Sam Jones" Big Motors had more Titanium in them than any other car in the day.
The Connecting Rods in those motors were actually aluminum, which is even lighter than titanium (although not as strong).

2 members like this post: Rpracing1, tirespinner
1/17/20, 6:12 PM   #22
openwheelfan1

Here are two photos I took of Rich Vogler exiting over the turn 1-2 wall at Terre Haute in I THINK 1983 (definitely NOT sure of the year) in the King/Powers car during hot laps. Vogler and Steve Kinser in the #37 had been "competing" in hot laps for several laps, each trying to out brave the other in to turn 1. The previous lap, Kinser had bicycled a bit in the corner, but still drove by Vogler, so everyone KNEW Vogler was going to really haul it in next time by. He did, it bicycled and we were all ready with cameras. If I'm not mistaken, Vogler suffered a wrist or arm injury in this accident.

https://i.postimg.cc/85WfSyMf/fullsizeoutput-b3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/brhDNQ9C/fullsizeoutput-d.jpg
Last edited by openwheelfan1; 1/17/20 at 6:13 PM.

1/17/20, 6:20 PM   #23
Buster51

Yes he did came through turn four left front over guardrail and ended up in parking lot. Broke his collar bone i beleive.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/17/20, 9:47 PM   #24
Dougherty20

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Here are two photos I took of Rich Vogler exiting over the turn 1-2 wall at Terre Haute in I THINK 1983 (definitely NOT sure of the year) in the King/Powers car during hot laps. Vogler and Steve Kinser in the #37 had been "competing" in hot laps for several laps, each trying to out brave the other in to turn 1. The previous lap, Kinser had bicycled a bit in the corner, but still drove by Vogler, so everyone KNEW Vogler was going to really haul it in next time by. He did, it bicycled and we were all ready with cameras. If I'm not mistaken, Vogler suffered a wrist or arm injury in this accident.

https://i.postimg.cc/85WfSyMf/fullsizeoutput-b3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/brhDNQ9C/fullsizeoutput-d.jpg
Great pics. I was in the stands that day. I believe it was 1982. Gates drive it in 79 and 80, Leavitt drove it in 81, Vogler most of 82, Hewitt most of 83.............I think. Cockrum and Martin drive it a few races in there as well.
Last edited by Dougherty20; 1/17/20 at 9:55 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/17/20, 10:49 PM   #25
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougherty20 View Post
Great pics. I was in the stands that day. I believe it was 1982. Gates drive it in 79 and 80, Leavitt drove it in 81, Vogler most of 82, Hewitt most of 83.............I think. Cockrum and Martin drive it a few races in there as well.
Thanks!! You may very well be right. Like I said, I’m not sure as to the year, and that was some time ago. I got lucky with the shots. Right place, right time.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, tirespinner
1/21/20, 3:02 PM   #26
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
When Buckwheat broke his leg at Kokomo, they put him in a cast. Three days later(I think) he knocked it off, and tied on one he made of leather, so he could drive. That people is TOUGH.
I would imagine some chemical bravery was involved. Lol

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, tirespinner
1/23/20, 6:30 PM   #27
dalemo

Gates just bought the old trophy shop on Morgan Ave between Weinbach and Hwy 41 in Evansville.He’d love to have you stop by and bs if your in the area.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No. 51 Sprinter Driver pics (1970's)