IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TQ29m (Offline)
  #1 1/22/16 1:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on the Chrysler 4cyl engines, DOHC Neon, PT Cruiser, World 4cyl? I'm curious if there are any in use, I bought a midget about a month ago, almost complete, it has a 2.0 DOHC Neon in it now, it too is almost complete, I just bought a set of injection for it, KSE pumps, fuel and steering, everything else on the car is new, just been sitting, waiting for me I guess. Not really interested in burning tracks up, just want to run something that won't take all my SS checks to keep running, when I can. Just wondering if anyone had ran one, or knew of any that were. Thanks! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Kellen Conover (Offline)
  #2 1/22/16 7:42 PM
You might look at the Tobias Speedstr cars, I believe that is what they run.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 1/22/16 9:59 PM
Kellen, didn't see any mention of engine brand, from what I could tell, probably not what I have, but I'll look further. Thanks! Bob

DAD (Offline)
  #4 1/22/16 11:16 PM
Bob

It should be a pretty good little motor. I think it starts out with a little more power than the Ecotec. You can Google Chrysler World Engine and find out a lot of info. It would probably be my choice. But seeing how D2's are shaping up I might have to look at a V6 again.

Honest Dad himself
Puppy (Offline)
  #5 1/23/16 1:32 AM
Originally Posted by DAD:
But seeing how D2's are shaping up I might have to look at a V6 again.

Honest Dad himself
You ran a V-6???
c47 (Offline)
  #6 1/23/16 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Kellen, didn't see any mention of engine brand, from what I could tell, probably not what I have, but I'll look further. Thanks! Bob
http://www.speedwayentertainment.com/specifications.htm
TQ29m (Offline)
  #7 1/23/16 11:27 AM
Thanks for the website, I have been searching for engine specs on the internet, and as I already have an engine, was hoping to be able to use it, it isn't a real high output stock, and as far as I've found, must be ran pretty much stock, but one thing about it, there are plenty of them in the salvage yards, and pretty cheap too, that's what triggers my wheels! Might just get someone else interested also, not a huge Chrysler fan, but maybe something has been overlooked! Bob

TQ29m (Offline)
  #8 1/23/16 1:42 PM
Personally, I think I'd like to see them go with a "stock appearing" configuration on the engines, maintain the 2.0/2.4 size, but let you do some head work, add some good perf cams, and bump up the compression some, I think these engines would respond well to some good cams, compression, and some head work, minor of course, don't want to make them hand grenades, but not allowing any upgrades really costs more than what I'm leaning to, I've already priced the cams, pistons, and head mods, and so far it is around 1K, if you can tear it down and put it back together yourself, just can't really see a "stock" engine being very exciting, without being really costly. JMHO! Bob

Chris Baue (Offline)
  #9 1/23/16 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Personally, I think I'd like to see them go with a "stock appearing" configuration on the engines, maintain the 2.0/2.4 size, but let you do some head work, add some good perf cams, and bump up the compression some, I think these engines would respond well to some good cams, compression, and some head work, minor of course, don't want to make them hand grenades, but not allowing any upgrades really costs more than what I'm leaning to, I've already priced the cams, pistons, and head mods, and so far it is around 1K, if you can tear it down and put it back together yourself, just can't really see a "stock" engine being very exciting, without being really costly. JMHO! Bob
You could have a talk with the powers that be and may be able to have some special concessions for your engine since it's only a 2.0. Couldn't hurt to ask!
DAD (Offline)
  #10 1/23/16 3:13 PM
Bob

I wouldn't worry too much about cams and ports. A bump in CR would help you out a whole bunch on Methanol. These engines don't need ports and cams like you had in the Honda. Check out the cam specs on a 600 Yamaha>>>>not very exciting when you compare them with the old Honda. Since the Midwest Bunch is pretty open this year you can do pretty much anything you want to.

When thinking about these engines you have to forget all of your 2 valve ideas. I got a stock Ford Duratec 3.0 head and it flowed about 75% of the old style Esslinger head and took care of a 25% smaller bore.

I would probably go with as big of a piston as I could get with as much compression as I could get. Good rod bolts and a little stiffer valve springs do a good valve job on it lighten the stock valves and go racing.

Honest Dad himself