IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of Outlaw wreck?
2/11/18, 3:23 PM   #1
World of Outlaw wreck?
chasinracin2

Who where drivers involved in wreck? Heard there was cage damage? Thanks for the info.

2/11/18, 3:30 PM   #2
Re: World of Outlaw wreck?
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinracin2 View Post
Who where drivers involved in wreck? Heard there was cage damage? Thanks for the info.
Two nights ago. David Gravel and Tim Shaffer. Gravel hit a crater/dip in the middle groove in Turn 1 on Lap 2 of the Feature and his car, already cocked at about 45 degrees, jumped up off of all four wheels and that started it all. Shaffer was following and had nowhere to go but into him. The dip was re-worked after quals but re-appeared after the modifieds ran their heats and the WoO ran their dashes.

I was talking to Shaffer the next night pre-race and he and Gravel both rolled out new cars. Gravel's was destroyed. I told Tim I was just glad to see both of them get out of the cars on their own steam

Video compliments of another fan forum site:

1 member likes this post: Bostonian
2/11/18, 3:33 PM   #3
Kydehart

A flipping David Gravel got hit by Tim Shaffer at Volusia. I will not comment or speculate on what happened with the cage. Barry Jackson, Gravel's crew chief released a very sincere statement about why he isn't releasing pictures of the cage or anything. He will let other racers and chassis manufacturers look at it to try to advance safety in the sport. The important thing is that both drivers walked away.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, motorhead748
2/11/18, 7:46 PM   #4
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Hi,

i was an eye witness to this wreck. my first takeaway is sprint car races need corner workers similar to Knoxville, guys that can run to the scene and immediately help the driver get out. David had to try and free himself too long. As for the cage, it did it's job. everything can be better. This is a violent sport.

Rich M

4 members like this post: Kydehart, motorhead748, smcpherson, younggun398
2/11/18, 8:11 PM   #5
Kinser11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
A flipping David Gravel got hit by Tim Shaffer at Volusia. I will not comment or speculate on what happened with the cage. Barry Jackson, Gravel's crew chief released a very sincere statement about why he isn't releasing pictures of the cage or anything. He will let other racers and chassis manufacturers look at it to try to advance safety in the sport. The important thing is that both drivers walked away.
I am sorry,but if he is so concern with the cars safety, why would you roll an identical car out to run? If you read his statement, to me he saying safety is not the owners, drivers or crew chiefs responsibility. It is everyone else's. I am sure that all the top Outlaw teams STILL get their cars built to their specifications. If you want the cage built different order it that way. I worked for several Outlaw, teams over the years and everyone had things built a little different. If some called and wanted a car like Kinser it might be one like a older model,but never what they was using at the time.
This what happens when you get bolt on crew chiefs.

2/11/18, 9:25 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah, you can make stronger tubing. but it needs a redesign to offer more support, A smaller hoop, some diagonal bracing, Taller rear of the cage like the Hawk Chassis..

IMO it's the same thing as that midget flip last year landing on the K-Rail. This one the front nerf, torsion tube hit his cage.

I personally think if you can get a NHRA style Halo in a Top fuel dragster or rail dragster, you can get one in a sprint car.

I wouldn't make it mandatory for a couple years, but yeah, I too want to see drivers back the next night, or next weekend.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/11/18 at 9:28 PM.

2/11/18, 9:37 PM   #7
treecitytornado

What do you mean by, " Bolt on Crew Chief"?!
Barry Jackson built JEI then GF1 Chassis. He is hands on as they come!

2/11/18, 11:18 PM   #8
kinser

It looks like the top right hoop of the cage is bent down. Which I would assume is from getting hit by the other car. I’ve seen far worse cage damage from lighter hits.

2/12/18, 3:00 AM   #9
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Thank you for saying what was on my mind first. Barry Jackson is certainly not a bolt on crew chief. Pretty sure he'll be building his next cars a little different, but whether there was cage damage or not, the cjb car did its job. David walked away. Let's be thankful for that

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
2/12/18, 8:05 AM   #10
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Not only that if you read his statement he wanted other competitors manufacturers even organizations to look at it to see if there could be something done to make it better he just didn't want it to become a public spectacle so people would Trash it on message boards . I applaud him for the way he handled it

3 members like this post: Kydehart, tirespinner, treecitytornado
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of Outlaw wreck?