IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > “Jim Hurtubise Classic” Rolls into Terre Haute
10/9/12, 11:09 AM   #1
“Jim Hurtubise Classic” Rolls into Terre Haute
USAC Developmental

“Jim Hurtubise Classic” & Modifieds Roll into Terre Haute Action Track Friday October 12th

The Terre Haute Action Track will return to action Friday October 12th with the running of the “Jim Hurtubise Classic”. The USAC AMSOIL Sprint Car Series and UMP Modifieds take to the fast ½ mile for an exciting evening of wheel to wheel racing!

Jim Hurtubise (December 5, 1932 – January 6, 1989) was an American race car driver who raced in USAC Champ Cars (including the Indianapolis 500), as well as sprint cars and stock cars (USAC and NASCAR). Hurtubise raced in the USAC Championship Car series in the 1959–1968 and 1970–1974 seasons, with 97 career starts.

The 2012 USAC Sprint Car Series has included multiple winners and some of the Most Exciting Racing on Dirt! Expected Drivers Include: Jon Stanbrough, Levi Jones, Dave Darland, Bryan Clauson, Damion Gardner, Tracy Hines, Robert Ballou, Chase Stockon, Kevin Thomas, Jr., Hunter Schuerenberg, Jerry Coons, Jr. and the 2011 “Jim Hurtubise Classic” Winner Chris Windom. Also on the card will be the always exciting UMP Open Wheel Modifieds. With such a stellar field of talent expected for this Event…. You won’t want to miss a moment of the Open Wheel Action!

Only 26 points separate the top three drivers in the AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Car standings going into this weekend’s final Midwest outings. Friday night’s “Jim Hurtubise Classic” begins two nights of USAC racing at the Terre Haute (Ind.) Action Track, with the “Sumar Classic 100” USAC TRAXXAS Silver Crown finale on Saturday. Dave Darland sits atop the standings, 24 ahead of Bryan Clauson and 26 ahead of Jon Stanbrough entering Friday’s Terre Haute race. The title combatants fared eighth (Darland), 13th (Stanbrough) and 21st (Clauson) in last year’s “Jim Hurtubise Classic,” won by Chris Windom. In two Terre Haute appearances this year, Darland has failed to score a “top-10,” while Clauson has a ninth and Stanbrough has two seconds.

Also on tap Friday night will be the always exciting UMP Open Wheel Modifieds. NASCAR Star Ken Schrader will be piloting the Federated Auto Parts #9 . The UMP Modifieds will be $700 to win. With such a stellar field of talent expected for this Event…. You won’t want to miss a moment of the Open Wheel Action!

Friday October 12th Gates open at 4pm, Hot Laps at 6pm, Qualifying at 6:30 and Racing action begins at 7:30 (All times are Eastern Standard Time). General Admission Tickets will be $25 each night with Kids 10 and Under FREE with paying adult, Infield Admission is $15!! For any questions please call Track Enterprises at (217) 764-3200 or visit www.trackenterprises.com or Terre Haute Action Track at (812) 232-4040 or visit www.terrehauteactiontrack.net

10/9/12, 11:35 PM   #2
Re: “Jim Hurtubise Classic” Rolls into Terre Haute
barny oldfeller

i would love to attend but $$ is tight/ anyone in the greater cincinnati area, or perhaps in between interested in splitting travel and motel expenses? if so contact me @ johnnythunderhead@yahoo.com

10/10/12, 8:40 AM   #3
DAD

Jim once tried to qualify a Beer Cooler powered roadster for the Indy 500. Best I can remember USAC was not too amused with that idea. He also coined the term "No Muff Too Tuff" that he used for his motto in a muffler shop business he once ran on Crawfordsville Road in Indy. He was a racers racer, even though he sometimes did not get along too well with the powers that be. "THANKS JIM"

Honest Dad himself

10/10/12, 9:47 AM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Jim Hurtubise is really partly responsible for me being a race fan. My dad grew up during a great era of racing and his trips to the Action Track with his dad, when he was a teenager were a big part of what hooked him for life. And that's who taught me how to be a race fan. He was lucky enough to have gotten to see the historic wars fought by the likes of Foyt, Hurtubise and Parnelli Jones. In fact, the story goes that a particularly intense rumble between Hurtubise and Foyt prompted the track announcer to catch his breath and then say "This is THE action track!!" And it still is. I'm so ready for two days of racing at this place. I'm just overwhelmed every time I get out of my car and step onto the grounds of this great track.

Jerry

P.S. A while back, Levi Jones posted a picture on this forum (I think it was here) of Hurtubise at the Action Track, biking it while driving wearing a t shirt. It would be great is someone could stick that pic on this thread. That pic just pretty much says all you need to know about that guy.

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/10/12 at 10:20 AM.

10/10/12, 7:27 PM   #5
Tumey's 55

I remember as a youngster Hurtubise driving the Novi. I mostly recall him after his injuries trying to qualify for Indy in a roadster every year after the rear engine revolution. My Dad still swears Hurtubise was the first to surpass 150 mph at Indy. Says he was there at practice after work. Of course this was not official since it was practice, perhaps it is just Dad's faulty memory. Anyway, what a great character from racing history.

10/11/12, 12:01 AM   #6
Rpracing1

10/11/12, 10:47 AM   #7
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Thanks Bob. That's one of my favorite racing pictures of all time.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/12/12 at 11:08 AM.

10/11/12, 11:16 AM   #8
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
That's Bob. That's one of my favorite racing pictures of all time.

Jerry
Welcome..........That is from the "Giant Nads" era............I assume he saved it.

10/11/12, 1:01 PM   #9
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

HARF members will also receive a $5.00 discount at both USAC shows this weekend at THAT. Just show your current membership card at the ticket booth for discount...and to follow the stream of this thread, HERK was my hero, i'm not sure if the drivers of today could endure the pain and difficulty drivers like Hurtubise & Kenyon had to deal with to still compete & WIN. HERK was never shy to still sign an autograph or shake hands with you, even with the injuries to his hands. The last roadster appearance with the beer cooler engine compartment is a famous story, just surprised i've never seen a picture of it...anyway, hope to see you all at THAT this weekend, bob.

2 members like this post: DAD, rdzsprint
10/12/12, 9:55 AM   #10
Jerry Shaw

I love qualifying at Terre Haute. Especially this time of year or early spring. Nothing beats the scream of an eight cylinder racing engine cutting through the crisp Indiana air. There's no place that I know of that where or when a driver lifts, is so evident.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/12/12 at 10:02 AM.

2 members like this post: Bill Angel, RacingGirl10
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > “Jim Hurtubise Classic” Rolls into Terre Haute