IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Travelers- Word To The Wise
4/4/14, 11:11 PM   #1
Terre Haute Travelers- Word To The Wise
Jerry Shaw

If you ever travel to the Terre Haute Action Track, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stay at the Econo Lodge. The Travel Lodge on South 3rd Street has a history of being this kind of place, as well.

I had to post the whole story, instead of using the link, because Bill's filtering system won't let me post a story with "*** Offenders" in the title

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – We have new details involving a local motel where a registered *** offender was arrested earlier this week.

Police took him into custody following an alleged incident where he lured a 5 year old girl into the room where he was living.

As we reported Wednesday, Terre Haute Police say Timothy Blazier was living at the Econo Lodge.

We learned he’s not the only *** offender living here, are, and this motel is contracted with the state to house *** offenders coming off of prison sentences.

Timothy Blazier was convicted of molesting an eight and a three year old in Fountain County back in 2007. Later, Clinton County also convicted him for failing to register as a *** offender.

Now, he’s in Vigo County’s jail for ******** confinement, and police say the alleged incident happened here at the Econo Lodge.

“A family had got off the interstate and was staying at the hotel, and there was some children out playing in a play area there, and he lured one of the children into his hotel room,” said Clark Cottom, Vigo County’s Chief Deputy.

Fresh off his prison sentence, Blazier was living at the Econo Lodge. Police say the girl’s screams led to her escape from Blazier’s room, where police found her pants.

News 10 learned Blazier is not the only registered *** offender staying at this motel. According to the Indiana *** Offender Registry, there are currently 13 registered *** offenders living here at the Econo Lodge. Eight of those *** offenders are listed as ****** violent predators.

The Vigo County Sheriff’s Department is responsible for tracking all *** offenders in the county. Chief Deputy Clark Cottom told us the Econo Lodge has an agreement with the state department of corrections to house *** offenders coming off prison sentences.

“To our knowledge it’s the only hotel in the State of Indiana that is accepting *** offenders,” Cottom told News 10.

Cottom says the motel fits the requirements for a residence of a registered *** offender. Mainly, the Econo Lodge is not within 1000 feet of a school or park. It does welcome visitors to Terre Haute, visitors who most likely wouldn’t think a *** offender would live here, let alone 13.

“Add one more thing to your list that we’re going to have to check now,” recommends Cottom.

Cottom says this is just another reason why it’s a good idea to consistently check the Indiana *** Offender Registry. You can even sign up to receive for e-mail alerts, and it’s completely confidential.

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 4/4/14 at 11:17 PM.

4/5/14, 12:44 AM   #2
Re: Terre Haute Travelers- Word To The Wise
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Jerry, of all the posts you have made on IOW over the years, this is probably the most important. Thank you for alerting travelers about this.

4 members like this post: dirtball, jim goerge, koolaid89, Obie
4/5/14, 1:16 AM   #3
Joey Woods

In Evansville, IN near (Tri State Speedway , Haubstadt) Woodcreek Inn and ALL the motels along Old 41 aka Fares Ave is our local Chester Molester and Teddy the Toucher haven. Ironically the two best looking Inns and are closest to Hwy 41 are the worst due to the fact they are within walking distance to the jail.
Wood creek Inn recently had 24 registered residents that are on the registry. That doesn't include other paroled felons residing along this stretch.

I'm not bashing , they have to go somewhere but it's scary to think that folks traveling looking to stay somewhere for the night have no clue.

4/5/14, 8:26 AM   #4
BrentTFunk

I stayed there a few years ago. It was a dump, and the room across from ours had a sign on the door from the health department, condemning it.

1 member likes this post: Joey Woods
4/5/14, 11:10 AM   #5
Anderson36

I think we should all stay there. We'll take care of the problem that the courts failed to do.

5 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge, Joey Woods, R.Drang, Tony74
4/5/14, 11:29 AM   #6
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Jerry, of all the posts you have made on IOW over the years, this is probably the most important. Thank you for alerting travelers about this.
It's just outrageous that they don't have to disclose this, to a family checking in with kids. This poor young family no doubt, had no idea what they were walking in to. They were just probably just trying save money.

I'll get of my soapbox now, but the way this story was allowed to happen, really made me mad and I don't want any race fans to have the same thing happen to them. Hopefully this family gets a really good lawyer and makes this place pay for what they helped do to this child and serves notice to other hotels that are considering doing the same.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 4/5/14 at 11:40 AM.

4/6/14, 6:27 PM   #7
Onlydirt

Kokomo's Rescue Mission does the same thing or at least did to receive Fed$

4/6/14, 6:31 PM   #8
sp6967

a small piece of lead to the head could solve these problems.

2 members like this post: Joey Woods, rachasin
4/6/14, 9:24 PM   #9
johnnythunderhead
Banned

a rob zombie film waiting to happen

4/8/14, 10:34 AM   #10
illinisprintfan

http://wthitv.com/2014/04/07/state-a...no-lodge-ends/
Looks like it won't be an issue at that motel anymore. However, they will just end up moving them to a different motel or apartment complex.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Travelers- Word To The Wise