IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ADM (Offline)
  #1 9/4/13 9:19 PM
I acquired a sprint car and it has a rear end that I can not identify. I am new to this so it may be a very common item. I attached some pictures. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Rich
Poorboyjocko (Offline)
  #2 9/4/13 9:38 PM
I want ot say it is a Jones rearend. Made in the early 80's in Indianapolis, but I might be wrong..
badcoupe (Offline)
  #3 9/4/13 9:50 PM
I just sold a jones midget rear it said jones qc400 on the left side just ahead of the quick change area on the lower rib. It could be a halibrand as well. have you pulled the cover to see how many spline the gears are? Most likely 6 spline.
sprintracer82 (Offline)
  #4 9/4/13 11:02 PM
If didnt know any better I'd say its a National rearend. Its been a while since I've seen one. It looks like there is some letters on the rear cover.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #5 9/4/13 11:24 PM
I have to say I believe it's a National Halibrand.
Go Fast (Offline)
  #6 9/5/13 12:43 AM
Not a Jones. Shifter on the Jones rears was in the front. Short stub input shaft and the coupler ran on that.

The side cover ribs look like an old National rear I used to have.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!
Racerrob (Offline)
  #7 9/5/13 1:15 AM
That is definitely a National Halibrand.
jmarsicano (Offline)
  #8 9/5/13 11:21 AM
Its a Mutt rear. Part this... part that...

Looks like a Halibrand lower shaft assembly and shifter, a franklin case and cover.

If it works... run it.
Gapinski (Offline)
  #9 9/5/13 8:21 PM
Its a National TracMaster Sprint Car rear end produced by National Manufacturing (Milwaukee, WI) it was designed in house by National. They first debuted in August 1988. National bought the Halibrand midget line earlier in 1987, and then bought Jones midget stuff out in early 1988. It has the adjustable side covers. When it came out in 1988 it was run by Sammy Swindell, Andy Hillenburg, Doug Wolfgang and Dave Blaney. National Hailbrand was the midget product line. I know all this because I worked at National from 1987-1992 as the product manager for the stuff. It was sold in 1993 to different companies in 1994.