IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Continental Acquires Hoosier Tire
10/4/16, 10:48 AM   #1
Continental Acquires Hoosier Tire
Vukie

http://sportscar365.com/industry/con...-hoosier-tire/

1 member likes this post: dirtball
10/4/16, 1:57 PM   #2
Re: Continental Acquires Hoosier Tire
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Another American company lost.

3 members like this post: LB, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
10/4/16, 7:39 PM   #3
TCR57

I tend to look at it as another American company solidifies its future. Great company founded by great people with a great future. I'm certain it is a tough thought for many, especially those so close to the company either through relationship, racing, or geography. But that family owned company has grown into a global enterprise and the Continental acquisition can only help the brand in terms of resources.

1 member likes this post: Task Force
10/4/16, 9:15 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR57 View Post
I tend to look at it as another American company solidifies its future. Great company founded by great people with a great future. I'm certain it is a tough thought for many, especially those so close to the company either through relationship, racing, or geography. But that family owned company has grown into a global enterprise and the Continental acquisition can only help the brand in terms of resources.
Yeah, But not the money don't stay here, It goes overseas.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
10/4/16, 9:23 PM   #5
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Yeah, But not the money don't stay here, It goes overseas.
Don't want to politicize IOW but there are plenty of companies that the money, in the grand scheme of things, goes overseas.

For instance, how many cars are running Toyotas these days?

2 members like this post: bighd0522, tirespinner
10/4/16, 10:00 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I didn't start it, Just pointed a fact. Yes, there will still be American jobs and paying american taxes. Until Hoosier moves offshore

10/4/16, 10:59 PM   #7
LEADERS EDGE

I imagine that if you look at Toyotas accounting you will see they spend way more than they make back from racing.

They also spend a large majority of that money on small American companies that either produce performance products or build racing engines or various race teams.

As far as continental goes.... It could go either way. Their resources may make Hoosier a better company or they could eventually shelve the brand and rebrand the profitable lines.

I'll say this though..... Dirt Sprints and Late Models can't stand much higher price points when it comes to tires. I'm all about profits when it comes to business but I'm also about competition and consumer driven pricing.

This should be interesting

10/5/16, 7:53 AM   #8
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Don't look now,,but it is not only Toyota that goes to the UK..Diamler is even bigger..And I too am sad to see Hoosier get sold..I work with the people from Conitential every day..They are only data driven.. One of the things that made Hoosier great was there ability to talk with every level of racer. I can almost assure you that will be lost..Even if they leave all of there current people in place and pretend to leave them alone,, that is just not the way those people do business..

10/5/16, 8:13 AM   #9
Eric Smith

I sure hope they raise the price of tires. A little over $800 for a disposable set of tires is way too cheap and is allowing way too many people to race.

10/5/16, 3:14 PM   #10
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
I sure hope they raise the price of tires. A little over $800 for a disposable set of tires is way too cheap and is allowing way too many people to race.
An interesting angle, Eric. The original posts were with respect to losing USA jobs, another company being bought out by the big dollar, etc.

It will be something to watch down the pipe if the mean average of tire prices change. When InBev bought out Anheuser-Busch, not too many people were concerned about the price of Bud going up, moreso than another USA company being bought out.

On one hand..... sure..... big money bought another here and production here in the States might suffer. Time will tell. On the other hand, for Bob Newton's family.... if they got a good big price for the sale..... good for them. Sometimes you just want to take the money and run, and if that is the case here, good for Bob's family. They deserve every buck they can get.

But once again, although sarcastic (which is now banned in North Korea, by the way), good point, Eric.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, team3521
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Continental Acquires Hoosier Tire