IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City / OConnors
7/9/16, 1:51 AM   #1
Gas City / OConnors
streetglider

Hate to say it but I just can't help myself ....... The OConnors completely screwed opening night of Sprintweek up !!! I have been around racing for 40+ years and never witnessed that kind of treatment to the teams and the fans ! There was ALOT of angry customers tonight - if you were there you know what I'm talking about!! So many pizzed off fans that I even heard talk if a boycott for Saturday's ISW show. Though I doubt that a boycott will happen it does show lack of respect to the fans ! It's too late in the night to explain it all but I will say this ... You can't change the rules of the spectators 2 hours before show time !!! Maybe the O Connors are spread too thin these days or maybe they have gotten too big for their britches.

7/9/16, 2:25 AM   #2
dustbowl

Complain complain complain, that's iow

7/9/16, 6:41 AM   #3
cletust2

Race Count This Year: 16

What happened?

7/9/16, 7:52 AM   #4
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
Complain complain complain, that's iow
So you're complaining about the complaining? I wasn't there so I don't know what happened ,anyone care to elaborate?

7/9/16, 8:00 AM   #5
Re: Gas City / OConnors
david mitchell
Banned

I agree completely. The last thing you want to do is upset your guests when you are in business.No blankets until gates opening was a decision I cannot fathom.The sight of the O'connors taking everyones blanket out of the stand and putting them in front of the ticket office was sad and very amateurish.If they did not want any blankets in until 4:00 simply lock all gates.Do not put a piece of notebook paper at the front entrance informing people.The sight of people lined up from the main gate to the pit gate was indeed sad.As I left many others were leaving also.Consider that most of your guests are of older age, making them stand in a line in the hot sun was sad.I love Kokomo, but will not attend any more races there this year.We had planned nine more races.How this decision was taken is indeed perplexing.I worked for Target corporation for nearly twenty years and was told one day that the last thing you want to do is upset or dissapoint your core guests in anyway, because once it happens it is very difficult to get them back.We don't have that many core fans anymore, so what occured last night was disheartening. My Sprintweek begins at Lawrenceburg.

5 members like this post: akracer48, bigq11, MOORESVILLETRUCKER, Motormasher, rclaridge
7/9/16, 8:08 AM   #6
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

It was extremely unfortunate and quite frankly ridiculous. We got there around 11 to put seats down. No signs posted hat we couldn't and nothing blocking our ability to get in. We return around 2 and see that an 8.5x11 sheet of paper is posted saying no blankets in grandstands until 4. Yet the entrance is still wide open for people to get in. Someone said the sign was posted around 2-230. Then, to make it all sorts of worse, they go into the stands around 3-330 and start ripping up blankets / seats and bring them out and put at the end of the line. No announcement was made (which would have at a MINIMUM been the courteous thing to do). They said they wanted it to be fair for everyone. Then ya know what, post your damn sign the night before then lock the place up. They screwed up once by letting people in early then they just made it worse by changing the rules midway. Now, at the end of the day, we got the same seats we had before ripping them up but it was absolutely ridiculous the way this was handled.

Also, they didn't allow folks to go into the pits by buying a $1 50/50 ticket like they usually do. We were told by the kid at the gate hat he was waiting on the 50/50 gal to get there but she never did. Disappointing for sure.

We are rule followers and will do what the track expects but GC messed up last night by changing the rules on people midstream.

Does that mean I'm going to boycott Kokomo? No. I know the rules there and it's consistent (whether I like them or not).

Several trips to the concession stand to find absolutely no food prepared was unfortunate too.

Ok I'm done. Off to Kokomo n🏁

7/9/16, 8:10 AM   #7
trannyman

I agree with david.if for whatever reason they decide no blanket placements,early.then lock the gates.what they best consider is most of those blankets are either the very faithful followers or family members of teams and drivers.Nice way of cutting off the hand that feeds you!

3 members like this post: jim goerge, MOORESVILLETRUCKER, wildman92
7/9/16, 8:27 AM   #8
The Old Coyote

Our situation was exactly as Wildman92 describes and we agree with everything said.

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, mowerman, wildman92
7/9/16, 8:36 AM   #9
reeserx

While I am a Big O'conner and Kokomo is my home track and they usually do no wrong in my eyes but last night I'd say they dropped the ball. I like the blanket policy but at least post a sign before 2. It's sprint week for god sakes. just keep the rules consistent. luckily for me I used the USAC tracpass for my pit pass and bypassed all the lines and got a good seat still. But if I hadn't, I would of had to wait at least 45 minutes in the line and by then no seat. The best part of last night was sunshine getting his first USAC win. Today is a new day and I can't wait to see how memorable tonight's show will be! GYATK

1 member likes this post: wildman92
7/9/16, 9:17 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You might have a legit complaint, You might be complaining to complain. IDK.

Without the O'Conners YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SEEN A SHOW AT GAS CITY LAST NIGHT! AND PROBABLY NOT IN THE FUTURE.

I don't like to hear the rules were changed, But I also seen that about every seat in the main grandstand was taken vs when I've been there. There will be four or five sections of taped down plastic that nobody shows up to use and "NICE PEOPLE" who refuse to take them. Unless someone says. There's nobody sitting there.

IDK, I can't say the policies and treatments of them isn't a major reason Im going to Waynesfield tonight. The only one I know I've ever talked to is Reece and he was very nice. But the person at the front gate asking to see inside my jacket in 40* and to finish or throw my pop away before entering at 90* isn't too nice, Policy or not.

Damn, Wanted to stay positive. See you tomorrow at Burg!

Oh, Here's a major positive. They try their hardest to get shows in, Like the Smack Down that rained and rained and rained and they somehow go it in.

Also, Way more often than not, They ususally have a track with multi grooves
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/9/16 at 9:48 AM.

5 members like this post: Blitzman, Bobv, Crankin, GYATK94, rapid robert
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City / OConnors