IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where are the west coast cars
6/28/17, 9:29 PM   #31
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRA91 View Post
In the late 80's early 90's we raced for 4000 to win 300 to start on the tour races,a new Shaver motor was 25 grand.Today the Sprint week races pay 5000 to win 500 to start and a new motor is 50+grand.So the purse money hasn't kept up with the costs.
Most teams out here are family owned and funded now versus back then when there was more car owners with deep pockets and hired drivers who had raced around the country thus having a chance to do well racing back there.

We have trouble getting good car counts when we race at tracks other than Perris so why do you think guys would travel back there when some can't afford to even go a couple hours from home,it's like yea lets travel 2000 miles to get your ass handed to you every night and spend a bunch of money that they don't have. IMO there are only a few guys running out here that have any chance racing back there unlike years ago when you had quite a few guys that not only had a chance at running well but also winning some races.

Even if Sprint Week was a points race for USAC-CRA you would still only get 5 or 6 teams make the trip,hell anymore we can hardly beat the National guys in our back yard, so why would anyone from out here think they're going to kick butt back there. Most of the guys from out here that do come back are happy if they even make the feature every night.
Also Terry a few years ago it was decided that the USAC/CRA guys couldn't use provisionals after some of the "locals" complained about the USAC/CRA making the feature and they didn't.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: CRA91, jim goerge
6/28/17, 9:37 PM   #32
Re: Where are the west coast cars
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Also Terry a few years ago it was decided that the USAC/CRA guys couldn't use provisionals after some of the "locals" complained about the USAC/CRA making the feature and they didn't.
Dan I think it was when Kruseman's protege(forget who it was) used up all the provisionals he had then started using Tony Jones number in order to use some more. It might have been Henry Clarke before he went to Kunz.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 6/28/17 at 9:40 PM.

3 members like this post: CRA91, jim goerge, tirespinner
6/28/17, 10:07 PM   #33
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pierce View Post
[QUOTED in Part...why would anyone from out here think they're going to kick butt back there. Most of the guys from out here that do come back are happy if they even make the feature every night.
Californians do pretty well here in the Midwest. 15 USAC National races so far this year. Seven won by Californians. Five by Indiana/Illinois drivers. Three by drivers from three other states.[/QUOTE]

Ross got exactly what I meant,and yes Californians have done well in the Midwest but it also took some a year or two of a learning curve before they started to win consistently.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Mattmac05, miller51b, tirespinner
6/28/17, 10:28 PM   #34
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
To pay more money teams and fans need to support the higher paying races. Many nights the races that pay more draw less cars and fans. As a fan I think the USAC format is the best and fairest there is. But if you want better paying shows, support the ones who pay more.
You saying I don't?
No way out, Twice.
Little 500
Usac burg twice, bloomington once
Josh Burton
Most likely three Usac Sprint Week
King Of Lburg
Dick Gaines Mem
Usac Burg nationals
Possibly 3 crown

I also ain't going to pass up good things that are close to home like the Rt 44-Burg double header BOSS. Also been to Atomic and Waynesfield once this year so far.

I also know you travel when you can.
Take care. Just saying I think Sprintweek with it's average of probably a thou fans more at most of the races could have a couple higher than USAC standard shows. But it's a win for he tracks. So I ain't pushing.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/28/17 at 10:30 PM.

6/28/17, 11:03 PM   #35
kdobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
It happens everywhere. Anywhere a lower class of Sprints pop up guys drop down a class, costs go up, and the product gets diluted. Casual fans walk away and never return. Not enough people go to the races, tracks close. No one ever learns.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. We started a 305 class at Jacksonville as a stepping stone to the 410/MOWA car. It has worked at getting new people into the sport. While we rarely have more than 10-12 305's we can count on, it's getting new people into a sprint car and they ultimately end up in a 410. Each year it seems like we lose 1 or 2 guys to the 410 - which is a good thing. 2 guys have stepped down from a 410 to 305 - both of which were going to park their 410 and be done. One hadn't raced for several years prior to getting back into driving with the 305. The rest are guys.. or gals... that probably never would have owned a sprint car. They race it a year or two, and buy a 410 as well, and hopefully give up the 305 when they are running near the front of a 410 race.

Not only are there 6 or 7 race-ready 305's in shops around Springfield that would have otherwise never had a sprint car in them... sitting on the floor next to a couple of them are now 410 motors that are starting to get used.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
6/29/17, 6:07 AM   #36
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. We started a 305 class at Jacksonville as a stepping stone to the 410/MOWA car. It has worked at getting new people into the sport. While we rarely have more than 10-12 305's we can count on, it's getting new people into a sprint car and they ultimately end up in a 410. Each year it seems like we lose 1 or 2 guys to the 410 - which is a good thing. 2 guys have stepped down from a 410 to 305 - both of which were going to park their 410 and be done. One hadn't raced for several years prior to getting back into driving with the 305. The rest are guys.. or gals... that probably never would have owned a sprint car. They race it a year or two, and buy a 410 as well, and hopefully give up the 305 when they are running near the front of a 410 race.

Not only are there 6 or 7 race-ready 305's in shops around Springfield that would have otherwise never had a sprint car in them... sitting on the floor next to a couple of them are now 410 motors that are starting to get used.
How long ago did you start your 305 program? If it has been more than 5 years, I would say that is pretty good. This is just what I have seen in the long run. Charles, I was not speaking of you only, just a general statement. If fans and teams want higher purses, they need to support the shows that are higher paying shows. If promoters see high paying shows are a money maker more will run them. Nothing aimed at you, just basic economics.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 6/29/17 at 6:11 AM.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where are the west coast cars