IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ellis Sprint Car Help
9/9/18, 9:11 AM   #1
Ellis Sprint Car Help
micro85l

Hello,

I have a 17’ Ellis wingless Sprint Car. I’m having a difficult time getting this car to handle.

Would anyone have any experience with these cars that could give any set up advice for an average to slick track? This also has a heavy crate engine in it with about 350-375 horsepower.

What are some of the differences as compared to a maxim, xxx, or any other manufacturers? We have done a lot of measurements and only thing at this point that we have found that it is about an inch narrower on the bottom frame rails as compared to a maxim.

I have spoken quite a bit to Ellis, very nice to deal with. I just wanted to see what others have learned about these cars.

Thanks in advance!

9/9/18, 9:58 AM   #2
Re: Ellis Sprint Car Help
racer5c

Ellis built nce race cars! what kind of problem are you having?

9/9/18, 10:16 AM   #3
micro85l

The car is really nice. No doubt there.

Some issues that I seem to be having is the car enters the corner fairly well on 8-9” stagger, typically becomes tight across the center which I feel makes loose off and has absolutely no forward drive. The right in the center of the corner is not a “side bite” tight.

We have changed ride heights, bars, and tried different size stagger.

One thing I’m having hard time understanding is I previously had a Triple X and a J & J, both cars used much less stagger and you could really feel the “side bite”. Also both cars hard very good forward drive. I know this car should be capable of doing as well or even better. We just don’t know what this car wants.

Things we know for sure: the torque ball is nice and free, the w link is nice and free, the rear is square, and the front axle is square.

Thanks!

9/9/18, 12:45 PM   #4
red70racer

Just a thought
If the chassis is 1” narrower than standard and you’re using standard right rear outset you might have your right rear too far out
My opinion all cars work, you just have to figure out what they and you want

9/9/18, 1:13 PM   #5
TQ29m

Just a thought, but what is the engine set back.
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/9/18 at 1:52 PM.

9/9/18, 4:48 PM   #6
micro85l

This is a 40” set back car.

9/10/18, 8:35 AM   #7
TQ29m

I agree with Red 70, you can make almost any car handle, you might have t undo all of your changes to get it back in the trailer, but it will behave more to your liking. Do you have scales, or can you get it on a set, I don't consider that a cure all, but it is a place to start. What are your front axle angles, you really have to just sit back and eyeball the thing, does it look right, or not. BTW, if you have the extra change, USPS offers shipping scales, on their website, 330# I believe, DRO on a cord, seems like I paid less than $70.00 ea for mine, they work for me. I'd get a friend or 2, and spend an hr or 2, just looking at it, is it too high, maybe the bars, or one of them is binding, a shock with a tight place in it, you can find out an awful lot, and only spend some time in the shop, just mentally dialing it in, and you didn't even have to load it up. Besides, it's a good learning experience. Good luck! Bob

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ellis Sprint Car Help