IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Bostonian (Offline)
  #11 5/23/13 10:33 AM
When I was helping a ISMA Team, one of our drivers drove from Oswego, NY to Seekonk, MA for the first race of the season. He took the car out with a brand new engine (38K) and took a couple slow laps, then punched it. When he did, it put a rod bolt through the pan and he coasted back to the pits with a 38K paper weight. He then got changed and started the drive back to Oswego. His total time in Seekonk? 45 minutes at the most, Travel time 7-8 hours round trip. ISMA Teams can drive 900 miles one way to get rained out

I have great respect for anyone who has that much commitment
2 Likes: cmakin, PJ Wright
sprntr (Offline)
  #12 5/23/13 10:33 PM
Now batting 2 for 2.

Better forcast for tomorrow!

steiny
hungthrottlepodcast (Offline)
  #13 5/23/13 10:59 PM
Down here from Wisconsin for the two rainouts. My cousin is here also, from San fracisco, I think he wins the tough luck award.

Posted via Mobile Device
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #14 5/23/13 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by sprntr:
Last night I set a New Personal Best (NPB)!

Traveled 620 miles one way for a RAIN OUT!!

Gotta luvit

steiny
Many years ago, I flew to Ascot four times before I ever saw a race. And, I'd do it again were it still there.
cmakin (Offline)
  #15 5/23/13 11:58 PM
Rain outs are part of racing. I recall coming up to Indiana, I believe it was in 2002, before I was shooting. I believe that EVERY race that I went to, other than the Indy 500 and the USAC Sprints and All Star Late Models at Eldora were rained out. Everything from the sprints at Terre Haute to the Hoosier 100 to the midgets at the Speedrome and the Night Before the 500. That was in my pre-Little 500 days. Pretty sure that one got in, but instead I was getting a bit pickled at Kelly's, as were a whole bunch of other rained out racers. Pretty sure the Indy 500 was also rain delayed somewhere near the middle. That was a brutal spring. All I really recall from that trip is being at several different tracks (oh, yeah, the USAC sprints at Anderson rained out, too) getting my shoes wet. . .

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
johnnythunderhead (Offline)
  #16 5/24/13 12:29 AM
drove from akron, oh. to oswego n y years ago to see time trials and a heat race before the skies opened up (1st rain out they'd had in years they said) we did find a little ice cream parlor and witnessed a hellish bannana split eating contest then, before dig'n into some'a those incredible bannana splits ourselves/ bout the best ones i ever had

Posted via Mobile Device
AV (Offline)
  #17 5/24/13 6:31 AM
Try flying over from Australia.

It's part of the game. No use complaining about.

Cheers
Ash

Posted via Mobile Device
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #18 5/24/13 9:10 AM
My best was traveling from Maine to Australia, about as far apart as you can get.1 trip I got rained out at Newcastle, and another trip I got rained out at Avalon.

Posted via Mobile Device
brettgrace (Offline)
  #19 5/24/13 9:27 AM
I've flown from NZ to Australia twice in two weeks to be rained out both times, not much I know but the old man flew up to race with the POWRi gang a few haircuts back, got rained out, went back again and you guessed it...

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: apexonephoto, rataz
rataz (Offline)
  #20 5/24/13 10:10 AM
I've been pretty lucky when it comes to rain outs in all my travels.

Flew from Perth to Brisbane (5 hours) for a rainout last year at Archerfield Speedway.

In 2008 I traveled a lot around the US. I flew to Indy for the 500 weekend, and Hoosier Hundred got rained out. Still got to see USAC Sprints at Anderson and Terre Haute, plus the 500.

Later in 2008 I caught Indiana Sprint Week at Lawrenceburg on Thursday before heading to Eldora for Kings Royal weekend, only for Saturday night to be rained out during hotlaps. Luckily they got it in on Sunday. Plus I got to have a few brews with some Kokomo regulars while awaiting the rainout call. Dont think I had any other rainouts that year.

In 2010, I was over in the US for 5 weeks for work, debated making a 2.5 hours drive to Lernerville on a Tuesday night for the Outlaws when rain was forecast all around the area. Decided to go, and they managed to get the show in, though it did start late at about 8:00. Dont think I had any rainouts anywhere that year.

In 2011 I was in Maryland visiting the girlfriend, and it happened to coincide with Outlaws at Williams Grove, only for it to be rained out after hotlaps. Was my first and so far only trip to the Grove. Did get to share a few brews with some locals in the stands though. Then the next night was half way to Lincoln speedway when I heard on the radio the show was rained out. So didnt get to see any dirt track action that trip.

2012 I caught 3 shows in IN, MI and CA without any rainouts.

Then I got lucky this year when I got to the Wednesday of the Winter Classic at Canyon Speedway which was the first night that wasnt rained out.