IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoffman Racing on WLW radio March 8 7-9pm
3/10/09, 2:03 AM   #11
Re: Hoffman Racing on WLW radio March 8 7-9pm
AlkyMadness

That would seriously suck. No WLW may mean I don't renew my XM. All nighters coming back from the track w/o Steve Somers Truckin show just got a lot worse.

Someone asked if they webcast and the answer is yes. I just checked their website and they do. Just click on the player and you're live.

Also, they do state that they are no longer on XM but the Steve Somers show is now on channel 152. That's good. Now where do I get to listen to Mike McConnell and Scott Sloan.

Even though I live in NC, I've spent a lot of time in the greater Cincy area attending races at the Burg, Florence, Moler, or just heading up I74 to Indy. Having the traffic and weather available for the area has been a life saver on XM. I always knew before I left NC if the weather was going to work out that evening.

XM is also taking away my ability to listen online. That was always a free service if you already had a radio subscription. No more. Now it's $2.99/month and you don't get the full 170+ channels.

They will probably be out of business in less than a year. Too bad. Great idea that worked well. But, if nobody is buying new cars, there goes the sales.

3/10/09, 5:00 AM   #12
Jerry Spencer

Alky Steve just said that clear channel made the call to take WLW off of XM.

Jerry #66
www.joshspencer.com

3/10/09, 12:40 PM   #13
AlkyMadness

Hey Jerry, I saw that about Clear Channel. WLW has a pretty good message board and I was reading the XM threads.

Apparently, Clear Channel has to give a percentage cut to XM for all the ad revenue generated across several shows that they air. My guess would be that WLW was pulling in good ad revenue and CC wanted to keep it for themselves.

But, how long will WLW keep getting the ad revenue when the potential listenership was chopped to the ground. Go from being available nationally to regionally will make some advertisers look elsewhere and I doubt CC can charge near as much for the ads.

Clear Channel, like many of these media companies is hurting. Radio stations are closing all over the country; newspapers that have been in circulation for decades are going out of business (my local paper can't get any thinner). I even saw several articles the other day about people cutting off their cable/satellite TV contracts. In a way, that's a good thing. Maybe the rates will come if the demand is off.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoffman Racing on WLW radio March 8 7-9pm