IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar/USAC Partnership?
10/21/10, 7:47 AM   #31
Re: IndyCar/USAC Partnership?
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
This thread has been bugging me all day, you diehards need to help me out, because I'm missing something here....I get the part about Levi, Clauson, Hines, Darland wanting to get to the IRL $$$$$$$$$. But how is this good for USAC??? How is fast tracking your CHAMPION right out of the Series, good for USAC??? For a Series thats "somewhat" hurting for stars and cars, how is losing your Champ every year, good for USAC???

USAC tried to jump on NASCAR's coat tails and lost. Now they want to give their series Champion to the IRL, I don't get it. It seems to me, USAC would want their Series to be a destination, not a stepping stone (higher purses, better point fund ect.). I'm sure glad that Williams Grove's Champion don't go on the Outlaw tour every year...

Not complaining and not being negative, I just don't understand it....:38:
Agree 100% with what you are saying. I guess my thing is that it's nice that they actually have the opportunity again because they are just as good a driver as many in the series (and much better than the ride buyers). They deserve a chance on the big stage too. That's how I look at it. It would have been cool to see Foyt, Andretti, all of the Unsers, JR, Johncock..etc run dirt their whole career, but their talents belonged on the biggest stage of openwheel racing. I realize it was a different time because sprint cars and IndyCars were similar cars then. Today the cars share nothing in common other than they have 4 wheels. I'd just like to see these guys get a shot at it because they are talented enough to do it.

For their sake, I'd like to see them make the best living they can make. For my sake, I'd like to see them run Indy (maybe a few other ovals) in an IndyCar and run USAC the rest of the time. We'll see where it all leads.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

[QUOTE=bigmojo5;200334]Just a couple of quick thoughts:
There was another sprint driver who ran down at Lawrenceburg who's name I don't recall. QUOTE]

Travis Gregg is who you are thinking of. Won several races in the Sam Schmidt #7 car. I don't think he had the backing to come back the next year so winning races wasn't good enough. That is what is broken with the system right now and needs to be fixed.

2 members like this post: FishBurger, Pine
10/21/10, 8:31 AM   #32

How do we get some of these guys to start making right hand turns. Yes the oval stuff is a big deal, but if they go out and win every single race they run, is anyone going to give them a ride the following season? Look at Carpenter this season. Had some very good oval races. He has road course experience. Is anyone going to give him a full time ride? I want to see some of these guys move up and be sucessful. The problem is right now, I see nothing more than a chance to move up and run a few ovals each season.

10/21/10, 8:53 AM   #33
TQ29m

Ya know, this thread has been bugging me also, and as far as I'm concerned, the bottom line is still $$$$, talent is secondary, or maybe further down the list, money brought to the table is still primary, Nicecar, Usac, Indy Car, these "owners" don't have boatloads of money any more, nor the sanctioning bodies, it's a price tag, just like anything else you would "buy"! Look how many are losing sponsors this year, they get used to spending sponsor money, and forget what it's like, trying to "make" money, that's when they start looking at talent! My 2 cents worth! Bob

10/21/10, 1:59 PM   #34
thebus79h

Food for thought, and everybody wants to talk about the negatives of this deal, and trying to figure out how it's going to work, and all that stuff. Think about this, really really think about this.

Bryan Clauson or Levi Jones are going to get a shot to race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Let me repeat that if you didn't read it right the first time. Bryan Clauson and Levi Jones are going to get a shot to race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I don't care if it's an Indy Lights car, or a full up Indy Car, it's still a shot at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. How many on this board have dreamed about racing there, and are never going to get the chance to (I raise both hands to that one)? It's the Speedway, the greatest track, and the greatest place in the world, and to race there, is completely special.

After hearing Bernard talk, this is going to work. I work in the retail world and see CEO's talk a big game, and you can tell when they are full of it. Bernard isn't full of it. He's going to make this happen. How many CEO's do you know that have sat in the crowd at Indy to learn, and going to dirt tracks to find out why the core group of fans has left, and listening what to do in order to fix them. Sure, I can understand that there is skepticism in this deal, and that makes sense, and if this was TG saying this, sure, I'd be the first one to be calling out BS on the deal. Bernard wouldn't be doing this if he didn't feel it was the right thing to do, and it's going to work.

And here's my last thing on this long winded deal. It's up to the fans now. EVERYBODY on this board has been screaming for years "I'll start watching again when there is a USAC guy back in an Indy Car." Now's the chance, don't screw it up. Because if nobody shows up, and nobody seems to care, and nobody goes to the races, then it's the fans fault that there isn't a USAC guy back in an Indy Car, not money, not anything else. The "fans" stated that they would "go back" if there was a USAC guy, or an American open wheel guy, and now that's happening. Lets not mess this up.

2 members like this post: 767, racefan20
10/21/10, 3:55 PM   #35

u are right, and yes it will bring excitment to indy. One day a hot shoe is going to get this oporitunity and go out and dominate. Heck it might even get him in the 500 the following year (which is awsome and better than where we are at now). I would just like to be able to see that driver have a shot at the circuit. Maybe the gocart racing these guys did before they were teens will be enough. The good news, because of this announcement, I will see my first ever indy lights race next year. Like someone said, if we the fans do not follow thru, then this whole thing is all for nothing.

10/21/10, 4:25 PM   #36
Hubie

TrackForum rumors are always pretty weak. That entire JJ didn't call me back was blown way out of proportion. For the most part, Lemmings eat their own when push comes to shove...... just like the comment that Yealy didn't do that well when given (or payed for) the chance.

A brick could drive these cars, it takes a banker to get the seat full time

10/21/10, 7:46 PM   #37
ThePurple73

Sure everyone would like to see thier favorite sprint or silver crown driver at Indy.
The fact is this topic is much more complex and it it has a complexity that is very time oriented from a business stand point that some may not consider.
Say you are a product or marketing VP at a company that wants to provide and benefit from a major sponsorship of an indycar.
What type of driver do you want to provide for/investors/customers/your staff and work force meet and greets at business locations or the tracks?
Do you want a driver that has won a race/Indy500/Championship?
What will impress your clients? What will impress your intended customer base and what are the time lines to be not seen as a "loser". Every item or car that has your name on it you are outputting a marketing message whether winning or losing. The team and driver represent your brand.
How long do you have to become a winner and impress your investors or management team that this form of marketing is working? Or that the involvement in the team creates a positive customer and client result from watching or attending races, along with improving sales or creating brand awareness.

I am not saying you can't acheive this with Sprint/SC open wheel drivers, infact I know it is possible. Many of these business requirements are outside the technical car/driver side of the equation and comes heavily into play.

This holds true at all levels of racing but the more invested the more success is expected.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 10/21/10 at 8:56 PM.

10/21/10, 8:36 PM   #38
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
2. No one has mentioned the USAC drivers who have competed in Firestone Indy Lights during the last eight years -- Ed Carpenter, Jay Drake, Cole Carter, Aaron Fike, Brandon Wagner, among others. Add to that Craig Dollansky of the World of Outlaws and Geoff Dodge, who won a ride as Knoxville Nationals Rookie of the Year. There was another sprint driver who ran down at Lawrenceburg who's name I don't recall. Only Wagner had (has) a multi-year plan aimed at getting him to the Indy 500. None, that I know of, had a sponsor step up and say "let's go IndyCar racing", or even Indy Lights racing.
Jim,

I think Bud Kaeding ran a few races in the Lights series 10-12 years ago. I know Jerry Coons, Jr. has ran a couple. Also, Sarah McCune to add a few more names to your list.

Going back to the 2005 Indy Pro Series season Travis Gregg won 3 of the 14 races held and also had 2 thirds and a 5th place finish. Jay Drake had 2 thirds, 2 fourths and 1 fifth place finish.

Of the drivers listed in the 2005 Indy Pro Series final point standings only 4 moved up to become "IndyCar drivers"
  • Jeff Simmons - 2nd place
  • Marty Roth - 8th place
  • Marco Andretti - 10th place
  • Ed Carpenter - 26th place

Sandy

1 member likes this post: 767
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar/USAC Partnership?