IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint gearing
3/20/18, 2:13 PM   #11
Re: Mini sprint gearing
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

One thing you'll discover is that track measurements are not created equal; what I mean by that is, for example, Montpelier and Gas City are both advertised as 1/4 miles but you'll find MP is WAY longer around than GC. If you ever go to Route 44 (formerly Union County/Whitewater Valley), listed as 3/8, probably close to MP in length but more banking and more "paper-clippy", longer straights and tighter corners, so gearing isn't just a function of distance. Kokomo, to me, falls somewhere between GC and MP, and Putnamville fairly close to Kokomo. The list goes on...
That being said, if you're just getting started I'd try to find a "happy medium" gear; maybe something, if your "home track" is Montpelier, you can get around pretty well running a line you're comfortable with. Then, if you travel to other tracks, see if you can pick a line close to your happy place at home. Say you find the middle groove at MP suits you and your gearing; at GC that may mean you'll need to run closer to the top. If you venture to Daughtery you may want to drop down to the pole (keeping in mind that place is also almost square).
Point is, my advice is to learn how to drive the car first, then you can play around with gear after you learn what the car likes overall.
Mostly, have fun.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 3/20/18 at 2:16 PM.

3/20/18, 2:21 PM   #12
markjr

Well i have experence stared in a spribt car st putumville and ran st gc have been in a go kart and a micro now my mini sprint but gearing has always kicked my but reakon i am noy that smart lol i

3/21/18, 5:28 AM   #13
Re: Mini sprint gearing
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

I have a shift light tach, and set the shift light 300 RPM below my rev limiter. If I don't see the light come on, I need more teeth on the rear sprocket. If I'm hitting the limiter, I need less. Rule of thumb is that one tooth on the rear changes your RPM by 300, one tooth on the front by 1,000.

Bill

3/21/18, 6:18 AM   #14
markjr

Ok that makes sense so here is the question do i nedd a 13 and 14 front tooth with a range of of rear sprockets or will just a 13 work

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint gearing