IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let the discussions begin on the Silver Crown series..
8/17/13, 3:32 PM   #1
Let the discussions begin on the Silver Crown series..
mr nobody
Banned

Where do we go from here? 20 cars in Springfield, only 18 took time. Something has to drastically change.

8/17/13, 3:50 PM   #2
Re: Let the discussions begin on the Silver Crown series..
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

They aren't doing much for their remaining fans with only 2 updates in 80 laps.

Restart - 19 to go - Windom leads Fike Coons Hines Cockrum Ballou Tyler Swanson East Ferns Urish...

Chris Windom took the lead on an early restart and leads with 35 to go over Fike Coons Hines Cockrum Ballou Tyler Swanson East Ferns Darland

Green flag on the "Tony Bettenhausen 100"

8/17/13, 6:44 PM   #3
sc96

What do you really expect

Posted via Mobile Device

8/17/13, 8:03 PM   #4
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
What do you really expect

Posted via Mobile Device
I had high hopes for the Silver Crown division this year after the positive vibes and positive meeting this year with USAC and team owners. That optimism seems to have faded rather quickly. 20 cars is absurd, everyone should be able to agree to that when this race used to bring twice that. Hell, there were last chance races that had more then the feature did today.

I don't know what to expect anymore out of USAC in it's handling of this series. After seeing the local media's coverage of the race I have to ask: did anyone show up to watch this? I tried desperately to figure out a way and means to be there today but (contrary to some opinions) your health has to take precedence over racing at times.

From what I have been able to figure out after looking at things over the past ten years with this division is this. There are several major things wrong with the Silver Crown division:

1: Purse. The purse is the same they were racing for ten years ago yet racing costs for teams has gone up. Not just the obvious (spare parts, tires, methanol) but also insurance, travel, and lodging. They can't race for year 2000 purse amounts in 2013. It's not possible.

2: Team Structures. Today's race was a David vs Goliath moment. Nothing against RFMS racing at all, but they don't have the team basis like RWB and Stewart have (or 6R had until they ceased operation). The series itself needs to bring about a way that puts the construction of the engines back into the hands of the teams. Forget about Mopar that, Chevy this, Toyota that. Build a formula that puts the ability to run an engine that isn't backed by Chevy or Mopar or any other brand. That would be a cost control that would be easy to enact.

3: Sponsor. Get sponsor that promotes the series without redesigning anything. Ignite may have been a great idea but the implementation was horrible. If the Silver Crown wants to be the premier series, this is where contingency sponsors are needed.

4: Names/faces. The Silver Crown series has some of the best damn racers in this country. Brian Tyler is a master of the miles (especially Springfield), Dave Darland is legend that admittedly in the last half of his career is still able to go out and beat the youngin's and is a draw because he's been here and fans know him. Tracy Hines same thing as Darland. Tracy has shown time and time again he's got what it takes and he's got fans. After that the line up changes year to year, sometimes race to race. A series has to have stability and it must have names people know. We here on IOW know these people. The casual fair attendee probably has heard of none of these people I mentioned, let alone a Taylor Fern or Robert Ballou. It's not a slight against either of those two. It's just a fact. The series has to retain it's stars while being able to get new faces in the field.

5: Fanbase. The fanbase is aging and being depleted faster then it is being replenished. That is one thing us diehards have a direct control over. We have the power to grow the fanbase. We can invite that neighbor to a race. Heck, do it all on your dime. A ticket is $25 bucks, not bad. Spring for a cold beverage and something to eat and then after the race get them in the pits to meet the drivers and see the cars. Unless the driver has had a horrible day, most are more then happy to meet fans. Also, get those neighbors reading about the drivers on their websites or on USAC.com. If they have the stomach, tell them about this place. Mind you, make sure they understand that not everything is as doom and gloom as it sounds on here at times.

These are just a handful of things that are in desperate need of fixing. If these are fixed, it could be a good step in the right direction for this series. However we the fans only have direct power to change 1 of the 5. The rest are on the series.

5 members like this post: 2fast4u, bighd0522, jleme154, micro94, ThePurple73
8/17/13, 9:37 PM   #5
PAW

For years they only started 18.Early 70s started more.

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fasster23, fish, ISF
8/17/13, 9:56 PM   #6
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr nobody View Post
I had high hopes for the Silver Crown division this year after the positive vibes and positive meeting this year with USAC and team owners. That optimism seems to have faded rather quickly. 20 cars is absurd, everyone should be able to agree to that when this race used to bring twice that. Hell, there were last chance races that had more then the feature did today.

I don't know what to expect anymore out of USAC in it's handling of this series. After seeing the local media's coverage of the race I have to ask: did anyone show up to watch this? I tried desperately to figure out a way and means to be there today but (contrary to some opinions) your health has to take precedence over racing at times.

From what I have been able to figure out after looking at things over the past ten years with this division is this. There are several major things wrong with the Silver Crown division:

1: Purse. The purse is the same they were racing for ten years ago yet racing costs for teams has gone up. Not just the obvious (spare parts, tires, methanol) but also insurance, travel, and lodging. They can't race for year 2000 purse amounts in 2013. It's not possible.

2: Team Structures. Today's race was a David vs Goliath moment. Nothing against RFMS racing at all, but they don't have the team basis like RWB and Stewart have (or 6R had until they ceased operation). The series itself needs to bring about a way that puts the construction of the engines back into the hands of the teams. Forget about Mopar that, Chevy this, Toyota that. Build a formula that puts the ability to run an engine that isn't backed by Chevy or Mopar or any other brand. That would be a cost control that would be easy to enact.

3: Sponsor. Get sponsor that promotes the series without redesigning anything. Ignite may have been a great idea but the implementation was horrible. If the Silver Crown wants to be the premier series, this is where contingency sponsors are needed.

4: Names/faces. The Silver Crown series has some of the best damn racers in this country. Brian Tyler is a master of the miles (especially Springfield), Dave Darland is legend that admittedly in the last half of his career is still able to go out and beat the youngin's and is a draw because he's been here and fans know him. Tracy Hines same thing as Darland. Tracy has shown time and time again he's got what it takes and he's got fans. After that the line up changes year to year, sometimes race to race. A series has to have stability and it must have names people know. We here on IOW know these people. The casual fair attendee probably has heard of none of these people I mentioned, let alone a Taylor Fern or Robert Ballou. It's not a slight against either of those two. It's just a fact. The series has to retain it's stars while being able to get new faces in the field.

5: Fanbase. The fanbase is aging and being depleted faster then it is being replenished. That is one thing us diehards have a direct control over. We have the power to grow the fanbase. We can invite that neighbor to a race. Heck, do it all on your dime. A ticket is $25 bucks, not bad. Spring for a cold beverage and something to eat and then after the race get them in the pits to meet the drivers and see the cars. Unless the driver has had a horrible day, most are more then happy to meet fans. Also, get those neighbors reading about the drivers on their websites or on USAC.com. If they have the stomach, tell them about this place. Mind you, make sure they understand that not everything is as doom and gloom as it sounds on here at times.

These are just a handful of things that are in desperate need of fixing. If these are fixed, it could be a good step in the right direction for this series. However we the fans only have direct power to change 1 of the 5. The rest are on the series.
OK I will play.

1. Purse. You can only pay what the fan base will support. Contrary to popular belief, SC cars are a tough series to promote. No one is making a fortune on these cars. You can not pay money you do not have.

2. Team structure. Unless you plan on going to an extreme on spec parts, you will not be able to control the spending of teams. Everyone who races is a competitor. Telling them not to compete is not the answer. BTW This is not a problem unique to SC. $40,000 ASCS motors and $20,000 modified engines are common.

3. Sponsors. Easier said than done. Marketing budgets are very tight and SC cars are a tough sell. If I were in charge of a marketing budget, There are many other options I would consider before SC cars. The SC cars have a small schedule, race in small population area, race across the entire country, and have a small fan base. Not really a recipe for success.

4. Names. The problem isn't drivers. It is quality rides. The fact that the USAC driver champion can not get a ride this year shows the issue is severe. However, more people are parking these cars than building new ones. Once again showing that the series is sick.

5. Fanbase. Nothing wrong with your idea. However,as I have said numerous times, in a niche market like dirt track racing, SC is at the bottom. Given a chance between Woo Sprints, USAC sprints, USAC/POWRi midgets, Lucas Oil late models, USMTS modifiers, or SC, the vast majority of people are not going to pick SC as their first pick to watch.

The problem may not be the sanction, the cars, or the fans, but rather the natural death of a series.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Jonr; 8/17/13 at 9:57 PM.

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, fish, FishBurger, Jerry Shaw, opnwhlmnd, Pick Five
8/17/13, 10:25 PM   #7
reeserx

This is just my 2 cents..some fans don't like silver crown and I'm one of them, I know there are some that do and that's great but it seems like it's a old thing..they don't produce the same excitement to me as a sprint or midget. Maybe the cost is too high for car owners which is why the car count is dwindling down..

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: fish
8/17/13, 10:28 PM   #8
SpfldMile

Track prep to make the races better and better advertising to get people there. It's not rocket surgery.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: fasster23, ThePurple73
8/17/13, 10:58 PM   #9
Midget98

It all comes down to fan attendance and interest. Advertise all you want, but when it comes right down to it there are just too many other things to do or watch these days compared to the "glory years" of the past. Let's face it, when we were kids (I'm 68) there weren't a lot of people who owned a boat to go fishing, but today anyone and everyone seems to own one if not two, not to mention ATVs and other leisure sport equipment. Also it seems that every weekend around here there is a different festival or big community event going on. Back in the heyday of racing there were far fewer options for a family to spend a weekend afternoon. Nowadays there is no lack of options and with a sickly economy as we have been experiencing combined with gas prices that are twice that of 5 years ago it's no wonder that attendance and interest in general is down.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge
8/18/13, 12:51 AM   #10
Dgentry51

I didnt like the $5 xtra on top of the pit pass,to go through the tunnel to the grandstand

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let the discussions begin on the Silver Crown series..