IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #101 8/2/17 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
Wow. This thread has been buried for awhile.

First off, thanks for volunteering your services.

But now that you are asking to help, for a successful formula, I suggest you implement NONE of the following:

Stage racing
The Lucky Dog
The Wave Around
Phantom yellows for debris that no one can find (not even Columbo)
Competition yellows to check tire wear
Competition yellows to bunch up the field
Speed limits on pit road under green flags
Common body templates
Downforce
1.5 mile tri-ovals
Unlimited tires in stock
Political correctness
Michael Waltrip
Darrell Waltrip
Kenny Wallace
Brian France
Danica Patrick (including any type of media coverage)

To be SUCCESSFUL, though, I would start by getting AVSS and Must See to take the wings off and race at places like Winchester, Salem, IRP (ORP, LOR, LORP... whatever it is called now), maybe South Band, etc. Outside of Indiana..... take knife.... put it to throat..... pull straight across. Maybe Toledo can prop us up to the East. Or Sandusky with Super Mods. Keep it local and centralized. Only rule - minimum weight WITH driver in the car.

Give the mike to Bob Jenkins.

Someone to bankroll the racing for a few years would be required, too. But I have no skin in the game. I am only a fan. Oh..... wait.... you need guys like me and my buds.

Once again, thanks for offering up. Really. Your slingshot is waiting for you over there, David. Remember.... aim between the eyes. He's a big boy.
Best post I've read in a long time. Nailed it.
(Don't forget restrictor plates)
2 Likes: Bostonian, The Old Coyote
LRP36 (Offline)
  #102 8/2/17 12:58 PM
Tires costs arent the issue... we bring two sets of tires to a pavement race, one is a set of scuffs and the other is a brand new set. When we run the dirt silvwr crown races, we bring 2 sets of fronts and 5 LR tires and 5 RR tires...
Go ahead and do the math, we are spending more on dirt tires than pavement...
david mitchell (Offline)
  #103 8/2/17 3:44 PM
What is the issue.someone tell me.anyone,mr.funk.we had nearly 50 silver crown cars at pavement races until usac decided we needed the superspeedway ugly car.then,magically,they all went away.where are they.did a glacier get them.someone tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #104 8/2/17 4:01 PM
I think all car counts have dropped, not just silver crown. For example you used to have enough sprint cars to run semi-features at Bloomington and Gas City when they ran against each other on Friday night. With Gas City closed car counts are even smaller at Bloomington, not larger.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Jbaldwin, PIT CART
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #105 8/2/17 4:50 PM
One thing when discussing the future of pavement Silver Crown or sprint cars on dirt for that matter. The first thing you always hear is the car tech side, some saying if the technical side was "reasonably priced" some how, the current non-participants or those thinking about forming teams would decide to tip the scale and join in.

The one thing I think would help the most would be hiring 3-4 full time, proven, marketing/PR people to gain additional series sponsorships, focus on companies that could help fund and advertise with every series. Put real money into the participant owners, drivers, track owners pockets and you would see participation grow. There are plenty of companies that have customer focus on rural America, High Tech, and want to get their message out and currently pay for advertising of all types. Who is out there telling them to spend it on pavement sprint/silver crpwn car racing. It takes money and work. It would be an investment in the sport. I think it could be done.
3 Likes: Bostonian, captrat, CCI
Ryanshaneosborne (Offline)
  #106 8/3/17 8:33 PM
I can't even get anybody to play pavement sprintcars on iracing😣
Ryanshaneosborne (Offline)
  #107 8/3/17 9:02 PM
I would spend the kids college funds, the 401k, retirement,and inheritance to field a pavement car if the excitement was there like it was years ago ( Thursday night thunder days). Those years on pavement produced some of the greatest talents we've ever seen , volger,butler,Stanley ,Irwin jr.,Stewart, bliss,kalitta ,Steele ,leffler and so many more. I can only hope one day it returns , until then ill get my pavement fix once a year in may at anderson . Thank God dirt Sprint cars are so popular or we'd lose that too
3 Likes: erich45, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner