IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tom bigelow to serve as grand marshal may 20
5/2/12, 4:13 PM   #1
Tom bigelow to serve as grand marshal may 20
Pavement Dave

TOM BIGELOW TO SERVE AS GRAND MARSHAL MAY 20

Multi-time United States Auto Club (USAC) champion and Indy 500 starter, Tom Bigelow, will serve as the honorary Grand Marshal for May 20 Xtreme Speed Challenge at Winchester Speedway. The racing extravaganza will be highlighted by the Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Cars and Super Modifieds.

Bigelow enjoyed a tremendous racing career that ended in the early 1990's. Bigelow is an inductee of the National Midget Auto Racing Hall Of Fame as well as the National Sprint Car Hall Of Fame. Bigelow is currently a color commentator for Must See Racing events that are televised on Fox SportsNet. It is only fitting that Bigelow will serve as a Grand Marshal for this historic event as Bigelow currently resides in Winchester and enjoyed great success at the speedway. In addition, he made his final racing start in an ARCA race at the track in the early 1990's.

Bigelow, originally from Whitewater, WI, got his racing start in the late 1950's driving stock cars at the local Jefferson (WI) Speedway. He eventually migrated to running midgets with the famed BADGER racing association.

Eventually Bigelow relocated to Winchester and began racing more events in the Indiana area and particularly with the USAC Sprint Car division. Bigelow took to the sprint cars and amassed a whopping 52 USAC National Sprint Car wins which ranks first all-time with the series. He also claimed the 1978 title.

His open wheel success gave him the opportunity to compete in the Indy Car ranks with CART and USAC for seventeen seasons. He made 104 starts including 9 Indy 500 starts with a 6th place his best Indy 500 finish. He finished second in back-to-back Indy Car starts at Texas and Milwaukee in 1978.

When the USAC Sprint Car schedule began to dwindle in the mid 1980's, Bigelow migrated back to the midgets and was able to win several features as well as the 1984 USAC National Midget champion. He claimed the USAC Regional Midget Series title 2 years earlier in 1982.

Bigelow made one NASCAR Cup start in his career in 1986. The day ended early for him after only 30 laps due to engine failure. Bigelow enjoyed the experience. " I should have stayed there ( NASCAR ) " Bigelow recently explained. " That's when money was starting to arrive down there and I didn't have a sponsor ". The experience would play a role in the final years of Bigelow's career as he finished his driving days behind the wheel of an ARCA car in the early 1990's.

The last several seasons have found Bigelow behind the camera at Must See Racing events as well as tutoring younger drivers. Must See Racing President, Jim Hanks, explains Bigelow's value to the sereis. " Not long ago someone asked me what Tom Bigelow means to Must See Racing. The answer is everything. He brings a rich history as one of the best drivers of all time, he brings Hall of Fame credentials and most importantly he brings quality of character. Tom knows the game and is a great ambassador for our series and our sport ".

The ' Xtreme Speed Challenge ' is shaping up to be arguably one of the biggest open wheel events of 2012. The TRUFUEL Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series will be competing in their third event of the 2012 season. The BIOBASED.US Must See Racing Super Modified Series will be competing in its inaugural event. It will be the first time in twenty-two years the Super Modifieds have competed at Winchester Speedway.

Both the Sprint Car and Super Modified feature events will each pay $6,000 to win thanks to Don Wilshe and BIOBASED.US offering the Winners Circle Bonus. In addition, there will be a $1,000 Fast Time Bonus to the Super Modified fast qualifier and $500 to the Sprint Car fast qualifier.

There will be an open practice one day before the event May 19 from 2 - 6 P.M. to give teams additional track time. The Full Throttle Modifieds and Vore's Welding FWD Compacts will also be part of this racing extravaganza. A meet and greet with Grand Marshal Tom Bigelow is also planned the day of the event.

Tickets for the ' Xtreme Speed Challenge ' are now on sale. Fans are encouraged to get tickets early to avoid long lines at the ticket window the day of the event. Call (248) 535-5575 to purchase tickets or log onto www.mustseeracing.com for additional details.

6 members like this post: AP64, ASPHALT24, dirtball, IndyBound, smith19, SprintManDave
5/3/12, 11:20 AM   #2
Re: Tom bigelow to serve as grand marshal may 20
oljonesy

how many supers on your entry list? seen davey hamilton's name on must see drivers list,can't wait to see him run winchester. are alot of your sprint guys building new supers, since they seem to be upstaged by the new series? where are the 6 races gonna be that hanks mentioned in the press conference? arguably one of the best open wheel shows?? seem awful full of yourselves. where and when may we see your entry lists?

5/3/12, 8:08 PM   #3
ASPHALT24

hate to disappoint you jonesy, but I read an article a week or two back and Davey will not be racing winchester in a few weeks. I think it was on Pinner's Supermodified site.

5/7/12, 11:26 AM   #4
oljonesy

why do they advertise him as a driver on their website when he does not race. they did the same last year with him and several others, that never turned a lap with them. i'll be there but still would like to see a entry list. have noticed pinners does not post must see diatribe.

5/7/12, 12:50 PM   #5
ASPHALT24

I will be there if they only have 4 supers to race. Anxious to see how they take to the high banks after 20 some year absence. They (MSR) must not advertise Davey in my opinion if he is not going to race. They only have 3 super shows so far, not good to advertise an Indy 500 veteran and he does not race. I see Davey finished second last week at Oswego to team mate Otto Sitterly. Great finish for Davey.

5/12/12, 2:05 PM   #6
MRZERO

I am getting a group from Ohio to come over for this event. I think it will be great!!! I've been to Dayton Speedway, but never to Winchester.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tom bigelow to serve as grand marshal may 20