IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
koolaid89 (Offline)
  #11 1/11/13 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13:
If water is a concern, why couldn't someone bury a soaker hose type system under the track surface and put moisture in the track from slightly under the surface? I've always wondered why anyone hasn't done this yet.....

Posted via Mobile Device
That's just not a realistic option. There are a few options for irrigation or theres the good old fashioned way of working the track 7 days a week.
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #12 1/11/13 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by koolaid89:
That's just not a realistic option. There are a few options for irrigation or theres the good old fashioned way of working the track 7 days a week.
I had a guy from Chillicothe tell me someone used to "oil" his go kart track to keep it heavy tack and "racey" back in the day.

Posted via Mobile Device
koolaid89 (Offline)
  #13 1/12/13 12:27 AM
I had a guy from Chillicothe tell me someone used to "oil" his go kart track to keep it heavy tack and "racey" back in the day.

Posted via Mobile Device
The EPA frowns upon using oil, Butler Speedway in Michigan is one of the most notorious for using oil as a means of prep back in the 80's and 90's.
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #14 1/12/13 1:19 AM
Originally Posted by koolaid89:
The EPA frowns upon using oil, Butler Speedway in Michigan is one of the most notorious for using oil as a means of prep back in the 80's and 90's.
I bet they frown on it.... different times

Posted via Mobile Device
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #15 1/12/13 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by barny oldfeller:
excellent deal/ maybe tony'll buy it?
Along with all the other tracks that are for sale I assume? Don't hold your breath on this one.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
2 Likes: Danny Burton, koolaid89
TQ29m (Offline)
  #16 1/12/13 11:12 AM
I bet they frown on it.... different times

Posted via Mobile Device
Nothing new here, all the dirt tracks I ever ran on were either using, old motor oil, calcium chloride, or liquid detergent, and who knows what else to control the dust situation, I personally don't know of anyone suffering harm from it, of the three mentioned, chloride and soap presented the best surface, IMHO, because as the sun went down, and the air changed, they would both cause the dirt to get moist again, and provide a real racy surface, oil was hard to control, it had to be remixed, or you had a surface of "cow pies", or "meadow muffins", and sometimes actual puddles of oil would appear, now that was nice! I'd bet that soap is still used at some tracks, calcium chloride, I know a lot of tracks that had horses doing anything on them, were more or less forced to quit using it, the complaint was it made the hoof's soft. Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
slide22 (Offline)
  #17 1/12/13 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by ScottShot:
KC Raceway was always considered a dirt track for the past 25 years I have attended races there. I will say that the racing surface did look like asphalt! The only time I ever witnessed a dirt track surface was back in 1993 or 1994 at a USAC sprint car race won by Jack Hewitt. It had rained all day Friday and into the late morning Saturday. The race was not cancelled. What a night it was . Great dirt track racing thanks to Mother Nature. Who ever decides to make an attempt to run KC Raceway, remember WATER!
No thanks. KC is meant for one thing, and one thing only, and that is wide and slick all the way to the wall. There is nothing that compares to watching a winged 410 sprint car run inches from the wall at KC. When that place gets slick enough IMO is the best winged sprint car racing in the country.
2 Likes: dkdorkboy, tricky3t33
hoosierdaddy (Offline)
  #18 1/12/13 3:18 PM
best race I ever seen was at KC. WoO show in the mid 2000's. a couple rain showers and fog delays throughout the night and them dudes were flat getting after it in the Feature! Steve, Mark, Meyers, Kemenah, Sides all racing for the lead the whole race. it was Awesome.
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #19 1/12/13 5:19 PM
Went to KC alot back in the mid 70's thru the mid 90's. I agree with slide22...it was a great winged track and when USAC ran there in the mid 90's it was good. Used to go there when they ran on Sunday nights back in the 80's. I remember one year end Oct. winged Sat/Sun race that was suppose to pay $10,000 to win. The crowd was decent but not overflowing...after hot laps on Sunday the promoter (at that time I believe it was Russ Conley) called a meeting and said "sorry boys but I can't pay $10,000 to win...If memory serves me correctly it was cut to $2,000 to win abnd I believe Steve Smith in the Black Bandit won the race with Steve Kinser second. It was a great Sunday night track (although I paid for it on Monday morning at work)...you never knew who was gonna show up for the regular shows but I can remember Bobby Allen, Kenny Jacobs, Jim Nace, Rick Ferkel and several PA hot shoes running there. Seems like the economy really hurt KC as the unemployment rate was higher in that part of Ohio than any other place.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
tricky3t33 (Offline)
  #20 1/12/13 6:06 PM
I wish the place would sell so they could open it back up,there is ALOT of people in this area that miss going there for some of the best racing around!