IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TQ29m (Online)
  #51 2/23/15 9:06 PM
FYI, the V860 was available thru 1956, they did what GM did with the 215 Buick, they gave the drawings, patterns, to the British, for the land rover, which is still on the road today. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Scott Bradley (Offline)
  #52 2/23/15 9:31 PM
There's not many on the road lol
TQ29m (Online)
  #53 2/23/15 9:49 PM
That basic 215 cu in is still being built and in production. As for the 60, it is possible it is still being built, in 1956 it had been stroked to 100hp, by 1/4". Friend of mine ran across one in a junk yard in Texas, and promptly put it in a motorcycle, he's a bit out of balance like me, if you want something, you don't worry about cost, because you're going to do it yourself, because you aren't afraid, and it's a challenge, it's the only way a poor man can do it! Bob

gearguy (Offline)
  #54 2/23/15 9:55 PM
TQ29M, the V8 60 went to France & Brazil. The French used it for military equipment & the Brazilians used it in a variety of vehicles. There are even Ardun style heads for it in Brazil. My point is that they were only sold in Ford passenger cars for a few years, 1937 to 1940 if memory serves. Less popular as an option than Chevy IIs were in the 1960s. The 1937 Ford V8 60 is most remembered for the first tube front axle which is a holy grail of vintage hot rod parts.
TQ29m (Online)
  #55 2/23/15 10:12 PM
You are correct, but there were plenty sold during those years, WWll gobbled up lots of them as well as others. The Plymouth was the next best choice for a tube axle. Those were the days of wine and roses and flathead Fords! Too bad we couldn't have kept more of them, but there are still some out there! I worked in Ford parts in the early 50's, sold lots of 60 parts, and in Chev parts during the Chev ll days, also sold lots of them, as well as V8 stuff! Bob

DAD (Offline)
  #56 2/23/15 10:30 PM
I thought the British developed the Ardun head for Garbage trucks? I think Speedway is selling them now. Talk about hi Jacking.

http://ardun.com/

Honest Dad himself
TQ29m (Online)
  #57 2/23/15 10:36 PM
Ardun did develop the heads, to help the old flatdeads pull more weight, I had a pair back in the day. An outfit called "jiggler" made something similar for the 60. Bob

LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #58 2/23/15 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by gearguy:
The much maligned Scream Ford Focus was a great midget motor that put out a very reliable 185 hp. Check the advertisements from back in the day; that is more than a good 100 inch Offy put out. V8 60s were only used in passenger cars for a few years in the USA and I think most ended up in midgets or power race boats. Midgets might have died in the 1960s if other little motors hadn't come out because V8 60s were awfully thin on the ground by then Ask the vintage guys about prices on them today. Jack Fox's 1976 Mighty Midgets book claims a STOCK Chevy II was more powerful than all but the best V8 60s.
Yes, the Fontana, Eslinger, and Gaerte were developed by private companies but that development was on the back of work done by garage mechanics on Chevy IIs, Pintos, and V8 headed Chevy IIs AFTER stock parts got scarce.. Give the guys a few years and these 2.4 liter stock blocks will do just fine in midgets. A 2 liter Focus gives up too many inches to a 2.4 to be competitive. The same percentage difference as running a 360 sprint car against a 432 inch motor.
And why did those parts become scarce? It was because of the failure rate of the stock parts. So in turn....people had to develop "aftermarket" parts that could survive as the level of competition rose. That said.....today's manufacturing does benefit from better processes and controls. However....as the competition level rises....so will the need for better parts and a rise in cost will follow.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #59 2/23/15 11:58 PM
I just don't see why if someone is going to run for 700 or less to win why would they buy a 7000 to 12000 motor when you could run a racesaver sprint car with less money invested. The Kenyon's have offered a series for years that meets all of the needs that everyone has listed with motors that are way less. Why not adopt that Format?
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #60 2/24/15 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=Revolution Racing;406685]Dad I can't believe you said this:
"Focus Motors they were never meant to be in a race car. The head is not well suited to produce good Volumetric efficiency numbers. Wayne down in Florida allows porting on them and they sure need it and it does help a little, but even in this state of race tune it doesn't have much for the your little gm motors. I think perhaps the little gm motor might respond to porting and valves but the port angles are still not to good to really produce a lot of power. "

1. As I have said all along, I realize a lot of midget guys don't like spec racing and I've always said, if you are one of those guys, please don't do a focus. It wasn't for everybody, but it did in fact become the largest division of midget cars ever in the history of the sport based on number of participants and number of events. Many many good racers got started in a Focus and are now racing all the way up to 'Cup level - the program was a success as a spec engine program. We never intended the motor to be a 'race' motor by Midget standards and if you are trying to make a race motor out of a Focus then you are an idiot. What we proved is that you don't NEED to have a 'race' motor in a midget in order to put on some exciting and competitive races. To this day, when I run into guys from the old days they often tell me racing a Focus was the most fun they ever had in racing. Mission accomplished.

2 The Ecotec platform has been used to produce naturally aspirated motors making in excess of 400 hp at 2.4 liters, turbocharged versions in excess of 800 hp, and supercharged engines in excess of 1,400 hp. Out of 2.4 liters!!! Yeah, that head isn't any good at all.

Dad I think you are starting to lose it buddy.[/

You mean besides the number of midgets, races and drivers that have competed in Midget racing over the last 75 plus years.

What does "Division of Midget Racing" even mean. Using that broad definition; 600's, Mini's and T,Q racing in Indiana kick the pi$$ out of the Focus series. Not combined....individually.