IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racefan20 (Offline)
  #31 5/13/11 2:37 PM
Originally Posted by micro94:
Being a USAC race why do you figure Clausen,Darland,Clayton wasnt there or are they just running the dirt portion of USAC's races?
I think you have it, Clauson was there but not running. The pavement races are not part of the national championship any more. 19 cars is around what I expected to see.

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
RACEMS41 (Offline)
  #32 5/13/11 5:42 PM
No Stewart team?? Must be no pavement for Levi.
mac miller (Offline)
  #33 5/13/11 6:58 PM
Originally Posted by deannalynn:
It was pretty awesome racing except for the vintage driver that I think left a piece of his car on the track after hitting the wall.

What vintage car was it?? How many vintage cars were there??

mac miller in INDY
deannalynn
  #34 5/13/11 7:21 PM
Originally Posted by mac miller:
What vintage car was it?? How many vintage cars were there??

mac miller in INDY
They were the Thunder Roadsters - about 14 plus or minus one or two. I have on good authority that these cars were booed off the track by fans at Winchester in the early 70's. I thought they were pretty cool to watch, only one hit the wall(the blue one), and they all had great paint jobs. Perhaps someone else on this board can explain why they didn't catch on. Different from sprints in style and design because the drivers don't have the drive shafts between their legs. Last Chance Wrecker of Indianapolis sponsored at least 3 of them. Not sure when I'll get to see them again since there will be 2 Thursday Night Thunder races in September instead of having the one next month. Next TNT is July 7th if it doesn't rain!!!!!! Heck yeah!!!!
legends51 (Offline)
  #35 5/14/11 9:19 AM
The thunder roadsters are not vintage race cars. They are built by the same folks that build legends cars.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/racing_s...der_roadsters/
PAW (Offline)
  #36 5/14/11 9:31 AM
Originally Posted by legends51:
The thunder roadsters are not vintage race cars. They are built by the same folks that build legends cars.

They're so slow it's like watching turtles race.

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
deannalynn
  #37 5/14/11 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by legends51:

Thanks for correcting me. There's a lot of info on the website. I didn't realize they were replicas of the old Indy Roadsters. I also just learned that Larry Fritz did a demo with one of his roadster replicas in Anderson about 10 years ago. Do you know if that's true? They looked like the real thing to me but I've only seen pictures and occasional old film footage. Of course, I'm not old enough to have heard what they sound like the first time that design went around, but I imagine it's a little different with the specs listed. How old does a car have to be before it's considered vintage?
TK Motorsports (Offline)
  #38 5/15/11 1:22 PM
People on this thread have been talking about the action... feel free to check it out for yourself!

YouTube...
4 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, jerrydt, Mud Packer