IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution
8/1/12, 1:58 PM   #111
Re: mini sprint evolution
buckshot3448

I take there 500-900 dollar ford motor and raise it with my $300 jap motor. Nobody ever said you have to buy a motor out of a bike. Do a search you can find tons of motors with holes in them from the chain that run great. Hell mine sounds like a sewing machine but ive picked up 6 wins with it and its more then payed for its self. This whole ford mini sprint idea doesnt make sense to me. Its the same thing the eco tech is. Wich last time I checked isnt a mini sprint.

2 members like this post: RickyBobby
8/1/12, 3:28 PM   #112
Dwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw2010 View Post
I really dont care to enter this debate on drive line problems,cheating,or cost.
I would like to ask one very pertinent question.

Which Japanese manufacturer has spent dollar one on Mini Sprint racing?
Thats what I thought....

Ford on the other hand,an American Company, has spent their resources in an attempt to help and grow this class of racing by making a cheaper and more durable engine/driveline package. Lets immediately flip them off before there is even a prototype on the track ! That's a wise choice.

Some of you people amaze me with your narrow minded/non business approach to racing. Guess what, Racing IS a business. The current Mini Sprint business model is a dinosaur and will eventually fail. Largely due to the lack of support from the current engine manufactures.

The Duratec 20 is a 2.0 L (122 CID; 1999 cc) version built in Chihuahua, Mexico.

8/1/12, 6:01 PM   #113
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I shouldn't but just can not keep myself from a thread that affects many like myself, Wayne Davis of the Southern States Lightning Sprints and 3 very good people that helps these cars grow...Bill May (MMSA), Jerry Tague (AMSA), Roger Sollenberger (ILSS). Also throw in Mike Whitmore of the Wisconsin group.
We, all 5 groups, have similarly rules, close on some, way off on others but with 1 (ONE) common goal....GROW THIS CLASS OF RACE CAR!!!! What is being discussed is all good and can make this class grow even if it is chain driven or QC rearend. Gas or Alcohol. DuroTech/EcoTech/Focus ...Ford or Chevy, Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha 1000cc or 1352cc. COST is the determining factor in all of this.

COST...not just car cost and engine cost...you have travel cost, pit fee cost, fuel cost...ect...ect...ect.

YES we all agree this is our hobby for fun...These (Mini/Lightning Sprint 1000 Midget) is what the modified is to the late model...the midget to the sprint...another words it is what both the modified and the midget started out to be but was allowed to "EVOLVE" into a hole different deal and cost has WAY OVER escalated the past 15 years on both. So again back to that cost factor...Some don't like chains, others hate QC's... I can see a happy median between the two as to what has progressed with the gas/fuel/weight issue debate.

We as promoters have to depend on you as a car owner to come race .... tracks have to depend on us to bring them cars..... track owners need car counts for more fans, so more cars = happier track owners/promoters which = more money...more money for car owners = owners and drivers and more places to race...ALL this sounds so simple but IT IS NOT....

WHAT ARE THE PERFECT RULES? This is suppose to be a simple STOCK engine class and the motorcycle engine seems to fit this deal perfect. But what is to say this "OTHER" engine can't be the same (if the cost is kept to a minimal). The engine (long block) is not the question as far as cost (5-8 hundred) but what about the rest? This is were the dollars for the engine will be made...all the bolt on things. So you buy just the long block from the salvage, but have to spend another 5-6 thousand on accessories, it drives the cost up even more...

People speak of a business model, if this was to get developed WHO will it benefit the most, the people selling the parts. But then that is ok IF the cost is kept low to begin with. And I PROMISE YOU THIS "FORD" or any other manufacture is not doing this with out a foreseen profit of some sorts down the road. I will agree we do need to be open minded and if this engine can be developed at a cost of 3000.00 completely installed and with a very mi-nute cost afterwards it could be a good thing for the Mini/Lightning Sprint 1000 Midget class...wing and NON WING!! (sorry I couldn't help myself)

I could continue but will stop here for now...The bottom line is this... It is up to the people in control (promoters of the different series) to allow something like this or not.....is it and will it be good for the class or will it defeat it's purpose of a economical race car...time will tell...What I fill needs to happen is previously mentioned promoters need to set down and come up with as close to the same rules as possible then WORK with each other and each series holds 1 national event a year...5 races 1 NATIONAL CHAMPION...or if the guys in Missouri wanted to be included it would be 6 races....

I hope any of you do not take offense to any of this.... a forum thread allows YOUR voice to be heard just like the Constitution of OUR GREAT NATION....

Good night Drew Dorsett where ever you are!!!!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/1/12, 6:49 PM   #114
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
I shouldn't but just can not keep myself from a thread that affects many like myself, Wayne Davis of the Southern States Lightning Sprints and 3 very good people that helps these cars grow...Bill May (MMSA), Jerry Tague (AMSA), Roger Sollenberger (ILSS). Also throw in Mike Whitmore of the Wisconsin group.
We, all 5 groups, have similarly rules, close on some, way off on others but with 1 (ONE) common goal....GROW THIS CLASS OF RACE CAR!!!! What is being discussed is all good and can make this class grow even if it is chain driven or QC rearend. Gas or Alcohol. DuroTech/EcoTech/Focus ...Ford or Chevy, Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha 1000cc or 1352cc. COST is the determining factor in all of this.

COST...not just car cost and engine cost...you have travel cost, pit fee cost, fuel cost...ect...ect...ect.

YES we all agree this is our hobby for fun...These (Mini/Lightning Sprint 1000 Midget) is what the modified is to the late model...the midget to the sprint...another words it is what both the modified and the midget started out to be but was allowed to "EVOLVE" into a hole different deal and cost has WAY OVER escalated the past 15 years on both. So again back to that cost factor...Some don't like chains, others hate QC's... I can see a happy median between the two as to what has progressed with the gas/fuel/weight issue debate.

We as promoters have to depend on you as a car owner to come race .... tracks have to depend on us to bring them cars..... track owners need car counts for more fans, so more cars = happier track owners/promoters which = more money...more money for car owners = owners and drivers and more places to race...ALL this sounds so simple but IT IS NOT....

WHAT ARE THE PERFECT RULES? This is suppose to be a simple STOCK engine class and the motorcycle engine seems to fit this deal perfect. But what is to say this "OTHER" engine can't be the same (if the cost is kept to a minimal). The engine (long block) is not the question as far as cost (5-8 hundred) but what about the rest? This is were the dollars for the engine will be made...all the bolt on things. So you buy just the long block from the salvage, but have to spend another 5-6 thousand on accessories, it drives the cost up even more...

People speak of a business model, if this was to get developed WHO will it benefit the most, the people selling the parts. But then that is ok IF the cost is kept low to begin with. And I PROMISE YOU THIS "FORD" or any other manufacture is not doing this with out a foreseen profit of some sorts down the road. I will agree we do need to be open minded and if this engine can be developed at a cost of 3000.00 completely installed and with a very mi-nute cost afterwards it could be a good thing for the Mini/Lightning Sprint 1000 Midget class...wing and NON WING!! (sorry I couldn't help myself)

I could continue but will stop here for now...The bottom line is this... It is up to the people in control (promoters of the different series) to allow something like this or not.....is it and will it be good for the class or will it defeat it's purpose of a economical race car...time will tell...What I fill needs to happen is previously mentioned promoters need to set down and come up with as close to the same rules as possible then WORK with each other and each series holds 1 national event a year...5 races 1 NATIONAL CHAMPION...or if the guys in Missouri wanted to be included it would be 6 races....

I hope any of you do not take offense to any of this.... a forum thread allows YOUR voice to be heard just like the Constitution of OUR GREAT NATION....

Good night Drew Dorsett where ever you are!!!!!!
Thought that was "Miss Kalabash"

You are right Wayne. What we need are a few benevolent dictators to keep the deal going.

We do not need someone with a "business Model and the help of Ford motor company involved so they can make a quick buck and move on to their next great idea.

I pm'd a few people who race "WIMS" to get another view of what is going on up there and it looks more like a conspiracy to fool some younger and newer racers into a buying a bill of goods.

No "Japan" is not going away anytime soon. And yes these motors will still be available into the future, And they will still be tuff as nails, and it will be hard to beat that old chain drive (SORRY about that PAPA). But that is the plain hard honest truth.

You younger guy's Just keep on keepin on, don't jump at the first new idea. If these things are so great lets talk to those Dictators and see if they won't let you run with them and the best will win out,(Boy I love Competition) Flashy pamphlets never beat anybody. And I would much rather have a benevolent dictator Like yourself Wayne or, Bill, Jerry, or Roger to lead us into the future than an MBA with a business model and designs of getting into my pocket.

If anybody would like to respond and verbally dress me down be my guest I have gotten it from much better people than you.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: RickyBobby, STUMPS88
8/1/12, 7:45 PM   #115
backitin

I have and always will think that the minisprint should be powered by a jap 4 cylinder, with a chain drive. Stock engine. Thats the perfect working model for the working mans class. You dont need to know squat about engines, just keep up with tuneups. You dont need a push truck. I'd rather see a way for a guy to run a Busa engine or a zx1400 engine in the class then to muck it up with auto engines. Need more racers at your event's ? Promote harder ? or just put on quality races with what you got, it sounds like the product is good. Its hard to pull good car counts anywhere, anymore.

8/1/12, 8:16 PM   #116
Jrp4554

I cant believe this thread is still going

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: DAD, STUMPS88
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution