IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars
8/11/14, 10:26 PM   #1
Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars
openwheelfan1

This post is NOT intended to stir up controversy. I am truly curious about something. Having just returned from our first trip to the Knoxville Nationals in 24 years, I am curious as to why there has never been an event like this for the non-wing sprints since Knoxville went wings only in 1982.

Although the Knoxville Nationals was not a sellout this year, there were close to if not over 22,000 people in attendance Saturday night. The preliminaries nights drew 10,000+ both nights. There were 107 410 winged cars for this years Knoxville Nationals.

On any given Saturday night there are 85-90 non wing sprint cars racing in Indiana and Ohio. Theoretically there are enough cars to have a two day preliminary event with a third day Final. I know that there have been a few attempts over the years to develop a preliminary/final event, including attempts at Terre Haute and Perris, and Perris is still running their event, but it has not been well supported by cars in recent years. And yes, I know Kokomo has the Smackdown upcoming, but it has not drawn the cars originally anticipated.

So my question to everyone is this....Is the reason there is not a Non-Wing Nationals because the car owners won't show up to support it or because the fans won't or because track promotors don't want to risk it? Or some combination of the above?

Steve

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, rdzsprint
8/11/14, 10:48 PM   #2
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I don't know the answers to ur questions. I do know that if someone is genius enough to put such a show on that I will be there!!!

8/11/14, 11:40 PM   #3
Re: Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars
ISF

Knoxville had a wingless race they called the Non-wing Nationals in 2010 and 2011. Not sure about 2012. As I recall Brady Bacon won this race in 2011.

In 2011 when Bacon won it there were 30 cars on hand and the 305's were the support class.

I remember watching it live on the internet one of the years they ran it.

It was done away with after just a couple years, or so. Never heard why.
Last edited by ISF; 8/11/14 at 11:42 PM.

2 members like this post: fish, Nate
8/11/14, 11:49 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It was rained out in 12 and I think 13 too if that one was even scheduled. Sad to as we lost the ultimate challenge as osky as well.

Think a big part of this was the loss of the sprint bandit series.

I don't know the answers, just know they were a couple higher dollar paying NW shows that are no more.

8/11/14, 11:58 PM   #5
Nate

If there was a big show like that for non-wings I would be there for sure. That being said I think there are a lot of factors as to why an event like Knoxville is so successful and why it would be hard to do something like that for a non-wing show.

1.) Money - Schatz picked up a check for $150,000 for the win Saturday night and I think 20th place still earned something like $10,000. Who is willing to bankroll a show like that for non-wings?

2.) Prestige - The Knoxville Nationals have been around for over half a century now, anyone familiar with dirt racing knows what the Knoxville Nationals are. If there was some upstart type deal like that for non-wings its name wouldn't have the notoriety like the Knoxville Nats, Chili Bowl, etc...

3.) Car Count - Knoxville gets a good car count because 1. It's a WoO race so obviously those guys are going to show up 2. Knoxville already has a ton of cars that run there weekly so all those guys show up 3. ASCS builds their schedule around the Knoxville Nats so all those drivers are already there 4. Chance to win big money 5. And once again the prestige with a driver being able to say "I ran the Knoxville Nationals"

For a non-wing show I would want to see the best of the best for this type of event. That would mean bringing guys from all over the country. USAC Nat'l Series, CRA, MSCS, BOSS...whatever would need to schedule their races accordingly. Also if a guy like Gardner, Matt Mitchell, or Mike Spencer is gonna come from California or wherever to race they'd have to have a reason to make it worth while meaning $$$.

Also who would host this event? What track would have the facilities and the means to host an event that big for a non-wing show. I mean Kokomo does a great job with the Smackdown but could they handle that type of traffic for an event 2,3,4 times as larger for a week? I mean parking is stretched thin there just for ISW or WoO. Now think about an event bigger than that with more cars/trucks/RVs etc. Just something to think about.

Just a few of my opinions on the matter. Theres a lot of planning and there has to be cooperation from a ton of different people and most importantly there has to be money involved.
Last edited by Nate; 8/11/14 at 11:59 PM.

4 members like this post: fish, hossholliday15, jim goerge, nathans1012
8/12/14, 12:06 AM   #6
jim goerge

I was thinking a fan died and left if remember right 17gs for a one time non wing race during the Knoxville nationals Think like 12 to 15 guys were asked at Osky to race It was during a prelims night Sammy started front row and won it Think the next year before Nationals USAC had a race there with about 5 thousand fans which here in Indiana would be a decent crowd but in those huge stand was a drop in the bucket Don't think there has been anymore non wing at Knoxville since

8/12/14, 12:58 AM   #7
i love dirt track racing

The burg would be a great place to hold a non wing national event.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
8/12/14, 1:54 AM   #8
hoosierdaddy

non- wing guys are more than welcome to bolt wings on and go run Knoxville! It is $150k to win and $10k to start, not sure why they're not

4 members like this post: Bill May, fish, PIT CART, speed bump
8/12/14, 2:09 AM   #9
bsmith8

Just like BC, Bell and Rico did. So did Critter Malone , Jimmy Light and Tyler Courtney. It's open to all.

4 members like this post: fish, ISF, PIT CART, speed bump
8/12/14, 5:21 AM   #10
Koonzee

We already have the makings of our own Nationals, only it's called the Smackdown. It's a good start ,maybe with enough support it can grow.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars