IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl format
1/14/24, 4:11 PM   #11
Re: Chili Bowl format
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It was cold down there on floor level, when the quads were pushing them out during intros. they were puffing like a car in winter. Normally you didn't see their exhaust. Cold equals very low Humidity. Not seen many cold tracks hold up to anything.

1 member likes this post: spicoli
1/14/24, 4:40 PM   #12
BrentTFunk

I have not been to the Chili Bowl since 1999. I thought the track was pretty good all week. I liked that it wasn't the same the whole week. Pursley had a great run. 4th to 1st in the D, 16th to 5th in the C, 20th to 5th in the B, and 20th to 4th in the A.
I thought Cale Coons was impressive and racing along side his Dad was a great story. Hank Davis finishing 5th was a good story. Corey Day continues to prove that he is a solid racer. I thought the prelim nights were all solid. Even though it took rubber, which will happen when you have 24 cars on a fifth mile track. especially after running over 350 cars on it for 8 hours.
I thought they did a good job of streamlining the driver intros, and I had no complaints with the races getting over earlier than years past every night. I hope they always consider the fans in attendance over the people watching at home. Every shot I saw of the crowd, everyone looked like they were having fun. That should be the number 1 priority. Logan Seavey has had an unbelievable past year, and has worked hard to get to this point.
I am sure most people in attendance have already renewed their hotel rooms and tickets for next year. So I am not sure I would tweek too much if I was the promoter.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 1/14/24 at 5:27 PM. Reason: being old

1/14/24, 5:29 PM   #13
The Old Coyote

You are spot on Brent. I like the format and wouldn't change a thing.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Pitdad
1/14/24, 8:58 PM   #14
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
My thought is running all the features on Saturday isn’t ideal for several reasons. I think a better way could be running the prelims from Sunday-Thursday. Friday night would be features from E on down. Saturday night would be features A-D. You’d have better track and air quality Saturday night and the B, C and D’s could be a few more laps. It was a shame to see rubber down for the A-main after such stellar track prep all week. Emmitt could sell another night worth of tickets and fans wouldn’t have to sit through a 13 hour marathon day.
"It was a shame to see rubber down for the A-main after such stellar track prep all week"
Yea, & they didn't seem too concerned about it either
better when Tony was in charge of prep

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
1/14/24, 9:55 PM   #15
flagboy55

The rubber down track was unacceptable for this event. I know people complain about the other way when it’s hammer down for the first half, but I’ll take that any day over rubber. You can’t put lipstick on that pig. I’m not trying to be negative about it, it’s a great event, and I’m sure they didn’t want it either, so mistakes were made. We couldn’t believe how early they got done last night, and every night except for Monday. But I would much rather have them work the track another half hour and actually have a race for the win. Call me negative if you want but there’s nothing exciting about one lane rubber tracks. And the tire manufacturer is is also culpable to a degree as well

1 member likes this post: spicoli
1/15/24, 12:31 AM   #16
jdull99

Was there impending BAD weather coming in the general like 3 hour or so range, area (other than cold)? I understand it was bad on i44 today (Sunday) thru MO; but when did it come in? Would it be possible they skipped track prep so people could get out of town if they wanted?

I know in 2007 (I'm about positive); we (John Huss, KO, and myself) left as soon as the race was over (well after I got KO out of the pits - it was actly pretty quick), in my Chevy Aveo loaded up with a bunch of parts I didn't sell (thankfully I sold a LOT of what I brought, espcly since I forgot my wallet and ran out of money on the way down) and drove thru the night (I could never budget another hotel stay). Every time I started to get close to the speed limit, I'd see a car flipped over and/or in the ditch! I heard it was worse the next day tho...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: Hubie48, John P Huss
1/15/24, 1:47 AM   #17

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

No nothing was coming soon. We left 9am Sunday and beat the snow across Mo. Though not by much I heard. The reason to move the show along I am sure was due to the inside temperature of the expo. It was by far the coldest it has been in there. Bone chilling. Also, air quality was not good because they were venting the building slower to try and keep some heat in.

I also did that 2007 drive overnight after the race. That one wins as the toughest drive home. Awful road conditions

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/15/24, 5:44 AM   #18
Hubie48

I watched all of it and enjoyed it. It is a tournament and it is very difficult for sure.

Logan Seavey and Buddy Kofoid are special talents for sure. I was crushed for TMez but when I look at it from the perspective of roles reversed I think the outcome is the same. I have never been to the Chili Bowl and thinking as a fan this might be a TV event!

Congrats Logan, what a great week. My opinion is Seavey's talent would span any discipline of Autoracing with some experience. Meaning, F1, Indycar, NASCAR Cup, whatever you wanted Logan could figure out how.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, PIT CART
1/15/24, 10:15 AM   #19
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I, like everyone else enjoy double groove, slidejob, rimriding racing. I guess a rubbered up track is similar to pavement. That being said, I was on the edge of my seat most of the race waiting for a missed mark or to much throttle with one of the best on your tail. IMO good race, no disappointment here

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, The Old Coyote
1/15/24, 11:44 AM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I sure like the format of the CB better than the shootout. At least there's a feature every night and with the quality of the field the D's C's and B's would be stellar at any other track as far as competition level. Many great one's don't even get that far.

Noticed the Swindell cars. If they'd of made the A they'd of been a serious threat. They seem to work best on the rubber and have this cushion entry to berm exit move that most other cars can't or don't make. Oh well, That's over. Think next year it all goes to USAC legal.

Know one thing, The three spoke lightweight wheel needs to be banned now. Bet there was at least ten of em rolling around broke off at the spindle over the week.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/15/24 at 11:50 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, Hubie48, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl format