IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.
8/25/23, 11:40 AM   #21
Re: Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
We are doomed. . . .
I dunno... Thinking about it, I kinda like the idea of bringing Vanilla Ice into the Lawrenceburg equation. Everybody recognizes the need for a facelift, and with his HGTV "Vanilla Ice Project" connections, he could probably get you a good deal on lumber and nails.

5 members like this post: cmakin, Hustlin-Hoosier, mtek56, nathans1012, WinglessLovers
8/25/23, 2:07 PM   #22
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

The key to making racing at Lawrenceburg Speedway better is the concept that Bridgeport Motorsports Park in New Jersey used when they modeled their track after Lawrenceburg. It is progressive banking and the racing at Bridgeport has been outstanding over the past two years. From Eastern modifieds to winged sprint cars and everything in between the racing there has been close and exciting.

Bruce Eckel

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, PIT CART
8/25/23, 8:02 PM   #23
Harvestman

I like the idea of a Crown Vic class, but I have to wonder what the turnout would be like. How many does Florence usually get? (The last time I was there, a whole bunch of Sportsdrome teams who already had their evenings cancelled headed to Florence and pushed up the entry numbers a bit.)

8/25/23, 8:34 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My idea is a full size class which includes Crown Vics. Pontiac Bonnevilles, Delta 88-98 Caddy, Caprice Classic Chrysler 300 . Has to have a stock engine that ran in that vehicle. If it has a 3.8 super charged or 302 or 340 so be it. Right side would have to have at least three one inch Lug Nuts. Full cage and fuel cells. Should be able to get the spec cylinder size, compression ration for all that stuff and subject em to random testing.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/25/23 at 8:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
8/25/23, 9:04 PM   #25
TQ29m

You jest!
Lol 😂

8/25/23, 10:47 PM   #26
Blacki-Suede

I find it very interesting to read everyone’s suggestions on how to “ fix” the ‘burg. Many great ideas, some great insight, and thoughtful concerns. In my opinion, operating as a “ special event venue” is the best option. Having been a promoter of the ‘burg way back when it was a 1/4 mile “ bullring” I can say what you don’t know - you don’t know. And with today’s landscape - economy, age groups, cost of racing, lease arrangements, etc., you don’t know. I still enjoy the input from fans and I hope who ever winds up in the promoters seat at least considers your input.

BTW: In today’s world, even if I was younger, there is no way I would jump in to that arena.

Carroll Hamilton

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, erich45, motorhead748
8/25/23, 11:08 PM   #27
Rpracing1

I think you need to find a group that has a million dollars to spend and be happy making $100,000.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 8/26/23 at 9:59 AM.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, oppweld, racenut69
8/26/23, 12:16 AM   #28
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Carroll's exactly right. I don't know the numbers although I've heard some about electric and lease and even cost to prep the track each week which you do even if it rains out. I don't know em for fact so I won't stick my foot in my mouth.

8/26/23, 9:45 AM   #29
cowboyhar69

Promoting a race track is just like owning a race car… if it was so easy then everyone would be doing it.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

4 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing
8/26/23, 12:54 PM   #30
k-bob

Discussion of being a promoter reminded me of a podcast... Glen hyneman, guest of episode 23 of "the 4 wide salute podcast," is 4-decade owner of eastern modifieds and also some sprints, but he also promoted susquehanna speedway for 4 years. He compares owning cars versus being a promoter at 1 hr 2 minutes of that episode. (Short version is he is still a car owner.) (Btw I am just a fan of this podcast, no other connection... and have been lucky enough to see the bullring and banked 'Burg plus most of the races at bridgeport once rebuilt w lawrenceburg as a model.)

Fwiw, agree with earlier comment that racing at bridgeport nj, my saturday night home, is great on a track modeled on the current 'Burg,... but of course so many things are different -- even having eastern mods as the headline class.

Not sure if this says anything about the banking ideas, but when ryan godown won 7 straight bport mod A mains last year, he was starting midpack and passing mostly on the inside ..
Last edited by k-bob; 8/26/23 at 2:58 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.