IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes
10/27/16, 8:16 AM   #21
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
ossuks

Are panels also providing some protection? 1st responder should carry the equipment of their trade, I would think the equipment that a Water Rescue team would carry would not be the same as a EMS at a race track?

10/27/16, 9:20 AM   #22
LEADERS EDGE

Don.... I'm not trolling you. I am merely asking for real world examples from people. Those examples would be important to let others form their own opinions and make their own decisions. What you do with your race car is obviously your business.

I do believe however.... That if your particular race car is on it's left side, your driver is injured or knocked out and the top of the cage is blocked..... The EMS crew will have to use same exact methods to rescue your driver in your car using Right side panels as they would have to use if someone else's car was in the same situation on it's right side with left side **** pit panels.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/27/16 at 9:22 AM.

2 members like this post: fish, Racer1039
10/27/16, 1:28 PM   #23
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastaj View Post
FYI, USAC does indeed put a tech sticker on the frame of the car after it is inspected, and you don't hit the track till you got it
May be, but we had a lawyer on our board a few years back, and at the time we were putting on a decal that said the car had been inspected, he strongly advised us to continue to ck them, but not put any decals on them to indicate an inspection had been done. Just put a ck mark by the car number. Bob

10/27/16, 3:08 PM   #24
chastaj

This discussion about body panels is insane. They are made of flimsy fiberglass in most situations. Not aluminum or steel. A small child could tear it off the car. I feel I've lowered my IQ reading this. Do they provide protection? Yes from rocks, dirt clogs, etc. From another 1000-1200# vehicle doing 80-100mph hell no. Making it sound like panels are like fiber tubs as found in Indy or F1

7 members like this post: dirtball, Eagle14, fasster23, jim goerge, Leohr46, sprinter6p, xoxide
10/27/16, 3:18 PM   #25
Bobby7j

Race Count This Year: 25
Race Count Last Year: 7

One rule should be manditory halos

6 members like this post: 2HWrench, bighd0522, cfdrescue1, PIT CART, Speedwrench, suskybass
10/27/16, 3:32 PM   #26
cshuman

In Australia, they require hood and arm guard panels to be fastened by "wingnut" dzus buttons so safety workers can take them off without needing a tool. That being said, I don't think panels are making any injuries worse. If a guy needs to get in, or out, they will. The biggest thing I think needs to be done is head clearance.. build the cars with taller cages and smaller openings. There are way too many guys running with their heads damn near even with the cage.

10/27/16, 4:09 PM   #27
brettgrace

Here in NZ you gotta have 4" head clearance strapped in with a helmet on, from memory Australia is similar. That's midget, TQ whatever.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/27/16, 4:56 PM   #28
TQ29m

Quote:
This discussion about body panels is insane. They are made of flimsy fiberglass in most situations. Not aluminum or steel. A small child could tear it off the car. I feel I've lowered my IQ reading this. Do they provide protection? Yes from rocks, dirt clogs, etc. From another 1000-1200# vehicle doing 80-100mph hell no. Making it sound like panels are like fiber tubs as found in Indy or F1
Sounds like it might be self induced, just sayin! Bob

10/27/16, 5:34 PM   #29
trannyman

Quote:
I agree that the panel discussion may be in left field of the true fix,however,you may be surprised how many of mentioned panels ARE made of aluminum.a small child could tear a panel off.also left field.IF so,what holds the panel onto the car during these mentioned 100 mph speeds?

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
10/27/16, 5:52 PM   #30
chastaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman View Post
I agree that the panel discussion may be in left field of the true fix,however,you may be surprised how many of mentioned panels ARE made of aluminum.a small child could tear a panel off.also left field.IF so,what holds the panel onto the car during these mentioned 100 mph speeds?
Depending on your budget it's either duct tape or gorilla tape. Black electrical tape just won't provide adequate adhesion above 60mph

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes