IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars
8/12/14, 12:56 PM   #21
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Pretty simple fans won't support it. Plus the other non wing tracks will run against it hurting car counts.

8/12/14, 1:08 PM   #22
Re: Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
...other non wing tracks will run against it hurting car counts.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Gas City never ran the weekend of the Smackdown and they weren't slated to this year. Bloomington nor LPS run against it and Lawrenceburg schedules Late Models for that weekend.

8/12/14, 2:46 PM   #23
flagboy55

agree koonzee, and look forward to it's growth. to me however, I would say the logical place for us to start a nationals would be the action track. plenty of room, hotels, food, camping, it's all there, plus one of the best tracks in the world

7 members like this post: 2fast4u, bigq11, cowboyhar69, ISF, Jerry Shaw, Kansasdirtfan, monkeyboy
8/12/14, 3:17 PM   #24
openwheelfan1

What is interesting to me is that there are several comments on here (and in some prior threads) about how teams don't support big money shows because they can't be competitive. There were teams at Knoxville that openly admitted they had virtually no chance of making even the "B" main, but were there simply because "it's Knoxville". I guess what I'm wondering is why can't a non-wing race seem to get to this level? MAYBE the Smackdown can, but fewer cars showed up in 2013 than 2012, not more. That is not growth. And I'm not being critical of Kokomo...I think the O'Connor's have done a great job with the facility and have done a fantastic job promoting the Smackdown.

8/12/14, 3:17 PM   #25
SteelCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer View Post
You are exactly right . I have only been to Kokomo once. And as I said I was going to give them a pass on the track conditions( everybody can miss the mark once in a while). I promise you that I will return to Kokomo again someday. Unless they find a way to make me a little more comfortable in the stands I wouldn't consider sitting in them for 3 nights in a row. I don't have to have flashy n new like the burg. But I was comfortable at LPS , and Bloomington and those r far from new. Kokomo is tiny and cramped. Maybe instead of banning drinks and coolers they should ban those stadium chairs at Kokomo. I will b back to Kokomo but not for 3 days. Just my opinion and I'm sorry if I offended you.
My inlaws will never return to Kokomo because of the stands. It took some convincing for my wife to go back because of the grandstands.

8/12/14, 3:21 PM   #26
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I've been dreaming of this all summer. My idea would be for Knoxville to include 410 non-wing sprints as part of their 410 Nationals. They would never agree to full programs so mine would look like this..... Run Wed.-Fri., half the field each of the first two nights. Agree to run group qualifying and 20 lap features only with a top 8 invert the first 2 nights. Top 3 each night would transfer directly to Fridays A-main. For Friday nights finale, the non-wing cars would get to close the show. Run 3, 10 lap qualifying heats transferring 4 from each to the A. 12 lap B transferring 4 more and then 2 provisionals, one from USAC and one of Knoxville's choice to set the field for the Knoxville Nationals' Non-Wing Championship 30 lapper. As far as the purse goes, I don't know but it would have to be substantial. They could sell special non-wing ticket packages for just those 3 nights. Knoxville has a rich history of non-wing Nationals and I think it's only fitting for them to include those cars again. Unfortunately, it's already been proven that it won't work in Indiana as the non-wing cars alone don't draw enough fans for some reason. And, of coarse, they could run Osky on Tuesday again! I'm really missing that one.

1 member likes this post: John P Huss
8/12/14, 4:03 PM   #27
Stephen Cording

How much is it to attend a WoO show these days? Both Grandstand & Pit Pass Price.

Also is there a car entry fee? Anyone know the the cost.

8/12/14, 4:29 PM   #28
SteelCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cording View Post
How much is it to attend a WoO show these days? Both Grandstand & Pit Pass Price.

Also is there a car entry fee? Anyone know the the cost.
Usually $40 for GA and pit pass. Knoxville tickets were like $45 and a pit pass was an additional $50.

8/12/14, 4:47 PM   #29
hossholliday15

Race Count Last Year: 45

How about Lucas Oil Speedway Wheatland, MO as far as a location top notch facility tons of parking big camp ground.

8/12/14, 4:56 PM   #30
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Someone needs to plant this idea (a great idea) with Forrest Lucas since the entire Motorsports world seems to b gravitating towards him already. Great facility if you've never been there , do yourself a favor and go! Trip is worth it for Hockett /Mcmillen race. I'd burn some vacation for a 3 day non wing show there.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Nationals and Non-Wing Sprint Cars