IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Boston Bob
3/3/13, 12:55 PM   #11
Re: Boston Bob
djbamber

I was a 19 year old kid in 1968 when I met Boston Bob hitchhiking in the town of Millis, Ma. (Home of the Santos family then) I was a "crewman" on a Nascar modified. I was towing the car to Thompson Ct when I picked up Bob. After talking with Bob, I realized that I had seen him at Norwood Arena on Saturday nights. We both lived in Norwood, and over the years I would bump into him from time to time. Both around the town of Norwood, and at the races. It seems hard to believe that it was over 10 years ago that I read on Hoseheads that Bob was in the local hospital. I dropped in to say hello and chat about racing with him. Bob told me that he was being transferred to another hospital, sadly he passed away about a week later. Bob's father was a well known racer in his day. A few years ago Lew Boyd published a book on Massachusetts racetracks (Hot Cars/ Cool Drivers) and there were quite a few pictures of Bob Blair Sr. in there. RIP Boston Bob.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
3/3/13, 1:04 PM   #12
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Why no driver's license?

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
3/3/13, 10:44 PM   #13
FALCONEDDIE

We met someone from New England area at a car show in New Smyrna Beach about a month ago who was involved in racing and we asked him if he knew Boston Bob and of course, he did. Many stories were told in the next 15 minutes.
We met Boston Bob in Trenton at a motel during the Langhorne days. Would always bump into him from Oswego to Daytona. After moving to Florida from N.Y. we would always manage to bump into him. One time at East Bay, during the World of Outlaws we met him. He had talked a couple of guys from Daytona into going to East Bay by telling them it was just a little past Orlando.
He always managed to get around without a license, one way or another.
I also had the opportunity of working on the restoration of his Dad's midget race car. His Dad was a great driver in his day.

R.I.P. Boston Bob!!
falconeddie

2 members like this post: IndyBound, luckybuc97
3/5/13, 2:45 AM   #14
Gasman fan 50

Bob at one time did have a drivers license but a DUI fixed that. Met Bob at a Baylands Outlaw show, Ascot Park, PRI, and Manzy. We hooked up for several years for the three hour ride to the Gold Cups Race of Champions in Chico California. He be two days early for the Calistoga show, Thursday night drink night at Hotel 6.

Gave Bob the real wild west coastal ride, long the coastline most visitors never get. I think I scared him.
Called him at work once Bob who? Oh, Bobby!
Ten years?

RIP BOBBY.

3/5/13, 8:56 AM   #15
Jerry Spencer

Man ten years, sure does not seem like that long.

Jerry #66j
stida.com/HalfMoon

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Boston Bob