IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drivers paying for pit pass?
5/23/16, 11:21 PM   #21
Re: Drivers paying for pit pass?
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post

So Wayne, if you were to race at our track and you send me a contract saying your drivers get in free, I'm going to evaluate it based on less revenue. So if 33 drivers are racing and you say all drivers get in free and the purse is $3,000.. that's the same as saying all drivers buy a pit pass and our purse is $4,000 assuming the class is not going to enhance the front gate over an alternative class. There is no free lunch in this business. Again, math is math.
and that is all part of the negotiations...There is ABSOLUTELY no free lunches ...It's like this weeks purse is $500 to win and $200 to start 1 pit pass per car or It could have been $1500 to win and 75.00 to start and 1 pass....both $5000.00 purses which is what was negotiated up front...kinda like a car salesman....the #'s can read anyway you want to push the pencil but the bottom line is still the same in the end..

when it is all said and done racers do what they want or need the same with tracks and promoters....I do this so my racers feel appreciated. Sure I can add $25.00 to every position and it will still be the same but every racer has to commit to racing this weekend by Tues. or they do not get a pass....This lets me send to the promoter (track) a list of who and how many are coming and use it as a promoting tool. If a racer commits and does not come than that racer loses out on the pit pass the next race.

This day and time is not the norm of what has been going on for years...Today you have to think OUTSIDE the box....promoters/tracks/racers ALL need to help save our sport 'cause unless you have been under a rock for the last few years it is hurting on a weekly bases....good luck to all and forever live DIRT TRACK RACING....go support the track of your choice this weekend

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

5/24/16, 12:30 AM   #22
kdobson

A couple other examples of where the "entertainment" actually pays to do the entertaining: (Misc cut and pastes from the internet - no claim to the validity, but if it's on the net it must be true!)

NASCAR: Teams pay a $4,300 “entry and inspection fee” to have their primary car approved for competition during a NASCAR weekend. If an inspected/approved car is wrecked beyond repair, the team must pay another $4,300 to have the backup car inspected and approved for competition. A “post-entry” fee of $5,675 applies if a team files an entry less than two weeks before the race date.
-----------------------

Indy 500: The entry fee is $12,000, plus another $2,000 for the electronics package.

-----------------------

THE KENTUCKY DERBY. For three-year-olds, with an entry fee of $25,000 each and a starting fee of $25,000 each. A minimum $500 jockey mount fee will apply to starters that finish beyond third place. Supplemental nominations may be made upon payment of $200,000 and in accordance with the rules set forth herein.

-----------------
Pro Golf: Except at the highest levels, professional golfers must pay entry fees to play in tournaments. It may seem counterintuitive, but a player at the top of golf’s food chain often doesn’t have to pay an entry fee, because expenses for high-profile tournaments are covered by sponsors and TV networks. Entry fees often increase as you move down golf’s ladder of success, in part because the fees fund the tournament’s prize pool.

----------------
Gentlemen's Clubs: Most strip clubs do not pay strippers to dance: It’s the other way around, strippers pay to dance at strip clubs. This is confirmed by Menagerii who said it’s a myth that the dancers are paid by the hour. Strippers pay the club a flat fee per shift to dance.

Not that it's right or wrong for drivers to buy a pit pass... but paying to play is not that uncommon.
Last edited by kdobson; 5/24/16 at 12:31 AM.

1 member likes this post: fish
5/24/16, 9:17 AM   #23
bsmith8

Allstars use to give a team 4 pit passes with every pre entry fee paid if you were a member. 1 for driver 1 for owner and 2 for crew members. I raced with the AWOL Series back in the day and they gave 2 pit passes with every pre entry . This has been many many moons ago.

1 member likes this post: welder
5/24/16, 10:09 AM   #24
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
A couple other examples of where the "entertainment" actually pays to do the entertaining: (Misc cut and pastes from the internet - no claim to the validity, but if it's on the net it must be true!)

NASCAR: Teams pay a $4,300 “entry and inspection fee” to have their primary car approved for competition during a NASCAR weekend. If an inspected/approved car is wrecked beyond repair, the team must pay another $4,300 to have the backup car inspected and approved for competition. A “post-entry” fee of $5,675 applies if a team files an entry less than two weeks before the race date.
-----------------------

Indy 500: The entry fee is $12,000, plus another $2,000 for the electronics package.

-----------------------

THE KENTUCKY DERBY. For three-year-olds, with an entry fee of $25,000 each and a starting fee of $25,000 each. A minimum $500 jockey mount fee will apply to starters that finish beyond third place. Supplemental nominations may be made upon payment of $200,000 and in accordance with the rules set forth herein.

-----------------
Pro Golf: Except at the highest levels, professional golfers must pay entry fees to play in tournaments. It may seem counterintuitive, but a player at the top of golf’s food chain often doesn’t have to pay an entry fee, because expenses for high-profile tournaments are covered by sponsors and TV networks. Entry fees often increase as you move down golf’s ladder of success, in part because the fees fund the tournament’s prize pool.

----------------
Gentlemen's Clubs: Most strip clubs do not pay strippers to dance: It’s the other way around, strippers pay to dance at strip clubs. This is confirmed by Menagerii who said it’s a myth that the dancers are paid by the hour. Strippers pay the club a flat fee per shift to dance.

Not that it's right or wrong for drivers to buy a pit pass... but paying to play is not that uncommon.
so now you are speaking about people that have millions upon millions of $$$....and as far as the strippers go I don't patronize them and would prefer they had.....(well that is my own thoughts).....

I am 100% speaking of the average working man and family that does not have a multi $$$$ income or sponsor that will do whatever it takes to race...most of my racers pay back tracks in forms of advertising prior to an event by talking cars to businesses and display the day before or morning prior...a month ago a track asked to have a few cars in a parade....we did...handed out our business cards for the series and ask the track if they would take 5.00 off per card...handed out 92 and they collected back 54 ... most had 2 or more people ..I would say that is a win win situation for both...and I got the cards back..asked if I could pay the track back 5.00 but hell no...Missy said it was the biggest crowd in 3 years....OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!

5/24/16, 10:11 AM   #25
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith8 View Post
Allstars use to give a team 4 pit passes with every pre entry fee paid if you were a member. 1 for driver 1 for owner and 2 for crew members. I raced with the AWOL Series back in the day and they gave 2 pit passes with every pre entry . This has been many many moons ago.
George was a good guy!!!!!!!!! So was Bridgett and Bert

1 member likes this post: bsmith8
5/24/16, 1:32 PM   #26
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlingar View Post
actually i don't mind paying for a pit pass. having an ambulance on standby, some insurance,a safety crew to haul you out or put out the fire, and a track to race on. i am not there to entertain just to race a bunch of other guys crowd or not. i agree with the earlier post about not owning a track tough way to make a living
Sad part is,some of these tracks are going to emt on site.No ambulance.now that's crazy!!

5/24/16, 1:39 PM   #27
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman View Post
Sad part is,some of these tracks are going to emt on site.No ambulance.now that's crazy!!
I agree that is why an ambulance is negotiated in our contract....We do not race in Fl. much and that is part of the reason....here is a story from the NYTimes the other day

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/sp...rner.html?_r=1

5/24/16, 1:51 PM   #28
trannyman

We'll,it's going on right here on In.

5/24/16, 2:53 PM   #29
hoscalecody

The no pit pass fee for Driver would help us a ton most of you don't know us but we are a very low budget race team and it's sad to say but there has be a good amount of races we have missed do to not having money for even 2 pit passes and when we go to the races its just me and my dad no crew except us and a few times we couldn't race because we didn't have the extra $25-$35 for pit pass fee we've had money for 1 but not the 2nd. 3 or so weeks ago I got a message from a friend of mine asking if I want to ride with him to race with Wayne's series in South Carolina we was told free ride wouldn't even have to help with gas and we was having problems finding money to actually have gas to get to my friends house and money 1 pit pass for my dad. If we had to pay that extra pit pass for me We couldn't have went even though we was getting a free ride as long as we got to the friends house but we found enough money to go and pay for Entry fee and 1 pit pass got down there did ok but about 30 minutes to a hour before the A main I got sick it was probably do to heat, me eating and not much sleep I couldn't even stand up really so I had to miss the A main and in the drivers meeting they said if we don't start the A main we don't get the start fee which was ok we understood that we won't start A we won't get money. Wayne nice enough and I still can't thank enough for doing this because he didn't have to we still got the Start fee without starting the A main which helped us a quite a bit and helped us help with gas money for my friend.

Also on Ambulance side it should be like Limaland and Waynesfield here in Ohio if there is no ambulance the track is red flagged and won't race till there is one a Emt can only do so much without equipment that's in the ambulance, plus if there is a wreck and someone has life threatening injuries they might have to wait 30 or so minutes for a ambulance to get there if there isn't one available or anywhere close so that 30 or so minutes. If there was a ambulance it could be taking the person to the ER where there is surgeons to help said person. With no ambulance its a lose, lose situation and personally if there isn't a ambulance we won't race and if we get to the track and there isn't a ambulance I guess we just wasted money to get to the track.

5/24/16, 3:12 PM   #30
t_inmyface

Well i am sure this will ruffle some feathers. But the way i see it...racing is a privilege. I see so many people dumping every dime they have to race and other priorities in life get pushed to the side. If it is an issue to pay a pitpass fee for people then racing probably isnt the best hobby for that person. The more racers the better but knowing when to say when is the most important part. This is nothing against the original post or anything like that by the way. Just my opinion. Its a pay to play world we live in. Hammer down.

4 members like this post: fish, RickyBobby, trannyman, xoxide
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drivers paying for pit pass?