IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something to ponder/discuss
11/25/15, 9:50 AM   #41
tqracer65

Choice seems easy. Indy to Knoxville kokomo Perris Eldora. Bryan Clauson

4 members like this post: PIT CART, racefan20, scottyCbus, Speedsme61x
11/25/15, 12:40 PM   #42
Re: Something to ponder/discuss
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I've only been following sprint cars 5 yrs., can't comment on the good ole days. In the last few years, Larson, Rico, Bacon, & Bell have won in winged cars. What primarily winged driver has won in wingless?
There hasn't been much crossover in the last 10 years. IMO, it has nothing to do with one car being harder to drive than another. They are talented racers and will figure it out with laps. Talent always rises to the top. You used to see it much more, but not these days. Its pretty much a money game for these drivers. A lot of them are under contracts and make salaries and race for a % of the nightly winnings for 60-100 race nights a year on a greater purse on a nightly basis than than non wing stuff.
The risk is greater than the reward for them.

The aforementioned drivers are still young and trying to make their way. Clearly they are all very talented and I would add Thorson to the mix as well.

I think Larson would race radio flyer wagons if he could and he would win at that. Rico has dabbled in the non wing stuff at Calistoga and has won 3 of the 4 races, I think. I have yet to see Bell in a non wing car. Bacon would prefer the wing and wants to put a deal together to run a full time wing deal, but its just not materialized so he runs the 69 to put food on the table weekly.
For the younger guys its about making it to the next level for others its about paying the bills.

To answer the initial question. Larson. The first time I saw him race I knew he was special. He has a moxy about him not many have and it shows. He reminds me of the guy that just retired. I remember watching him 30 years ago when he was age 13. You knew he was special right away.
Last edited by Kart#51; 11/25/15 at 12:46 PM.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, v8j
11/26/15, 1:40 AM   #43
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
I've only been following sprint cars 5 yrs., can't comment on the good ole days. In the last few years, Larson, Rico, Bacon, & Bell have won in winged cars. What primarily winged driver has won in wingless?
Are you kidding? I really hope you are pulling our collective leg. All of those guys came from winged cars to wingless, as well as Ballou and Gardner. Where do you think they learned to run a sprint car so hard?

2 members like this post: fish, The Fanthom
11/26/15, 3:01 PM   #44
LocalYokel

Given the criteria, if BC has already been selected, and while hes a little old, I'd pick Dave Darland. He's had sucess at points in his career at I beleive every division mentioned (not sure if Daves ever ran a winged pavement sprint?).

11/27/15, 2:04 AM   #45
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Are you kidding? I really hope you are pulling our collective leg. All of those guys came from winged cars to wingless, as well as Ballou and Gardner. Where do you think they learned to run a sprint car so hard?
No, not kidding. Like I said I've only been watching about 5 yrs.

11/27/15, 2:51 AM   #46
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
Interesting. Clearly not what I have seen throughout my racing body of work. I think you have it backwards and the record books would tell you so.

Sammy last ran a non wing car in the mid-2000's for Jeff Walker. He ran it at Eldora and Osky. He was quite competitive too.

Almost 10 years removed from non wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWzja7OnhQ
Great video stuff, 51! Thanx!

And thanx for the history class today with respect to Sammy!

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
11/27/15, 9:23 AM   #47
glittleton

I'd flip a coin between Christopher Bell and Rico - but would be happy with Clausen or Larson.

11/27/15, 8:17 PM   #48
stoney

Quote:
you're joking, right? I'm a sammy fan, but when was the last time he drove wingless???
look what happend at eldora when shane took the wing off!

11/28/15, 2:06 AM   #49
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
look what happend at eldora when shane took the wing off!
What happened? I take it he won?
Never said it was impossible

11/28/15, 6:31 PM   #50
Kart#51

xx
Last edited by Kart#51; 11/28/15 at 6:33 PM.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something to ponder/discuss