IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something to ponder/discuss
11/24/15, 10:01 AM   #31
Re: Something to ponder/discuss
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Hewitt... or the new Hewitt...Larson..Had the caution not come out Sunday night he was taking the Eldora high line to the front and the win...Damn water bottle.

1 member likes this post: short track scott
11/24/15, 10:56 AM   #32
kart31rac

Chris Windom

11/24/15, 11:02 AM   #33
miledirt

Clauson or Chris Bell

11/24/15, 1:44 PM   #34
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Billy "The Kid" Pauch

11/24/15, 1:49 PM   #35
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Yes, I am serious, Jim. I have no idea when Sammy last drove a wingless car, but my line of thinking is a good sprint car driver is a good sprint car driver - wings or not. I think guys like Sammy, Schatz, Saldana, Shaffer, Dale Blaney, Stevie Smith, Kerry Madsen, etc., would be top shelf in a non-wing car with a little practice. Don't forget Haud won the Mopar Million.
I've seen wingless guys do well with wings, but can't think of any predominantly winged drivers doing well wingless... its harder

11/24/15, 2:03 PM   #36
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I've seen wingless guys do well with wings, but can't think of any predominantly winged drivers doing well wingless... its harder
Interesting. Clearly not what I have seen throughout my racing body of work. I think you have it backwards and the record books would tell you so.

Sammy last ran a non wing car in the mid-2000's for Jeff Walker. He ran it at Eldora and Osky. He was quite competitive too.

Almost 10 years removed from non wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWzja7OnhQ
Last edited by Kart#51; 11/24/15 at 2:15 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, i love dirt track racing, mc/rider
11/25/15, 1:07 AM   #37
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard 05 View Post
Hewitt... or the new Hewitt...Larson..Had the caution not come out Sunday night he was taking the Eldora high line to the front and the win...Damn water bottle.
It was weird the way the commentators mentioned Larson was closing on the leader a second a lap, then suddenly the caution came out. Larson had a bad restart and that was that.

Only nascar race I paid attention to start to finish. Going to take all Winter to get over it.

Here's to green flags and elbows up coming early next Spring!!!

11/25/15, 1:57 AM   #38
flagboy55

I can't believe I didn't throw in the greatest sprint car driver of all time, the king Steve Kinser. I'm pretty sure in his prime you would have to beat him!

1 member likes this post: Jbaldwin
11/25/15, 4:39 AM   #39
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
Interesting. Clearly not what I have seen throughout my racing body of work. I think you have it backwards and the record books would tell you so.

Sammy last ran a non wing car in the mid-2000's for Jeff Walker. He ran it at Eldora and Osky. He was quite competitive too.

Almost 10 years removed from non wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWzja7OnhQ
I've only been following sprint cars 5 yrs., can't comment on the good ole days. In the last few years, Larson, Rico, Bacon, & Bell have won in winged cars. What primarily winged driver has won in wingless?

11/25/15, 8:06 AM   #40
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I've only been following sprint cars 5 yrs., can't comment on the good ole days. In the last few years, Larson, Rico, Bacon, & Bell have won in winged cars. What primarily winged driver has won in wingless?
You make a good point, Jim. Very few drivers these days flip flop between the two, and the ones you mention are right up at the top.

Without hijacking the thread too much, I am going with my gut feeling on certain winged drivers running non-wing and having success. A lot of it also has to do with what equipment they are running. For example, I think if you took a couple of WoO heavy hitters like Schatz or Swindell, put them in a Paul Hazen prepared non-winger and turned them loose for Indiana Sprint Week, they would take home some serious silverware.

However, it is a pipe dream. It is not going to happen.

But yes..... the drivers presently who flip flop pretty much came from/started with non-wing. No one has tried going back regularly from starting in wing. I think it might be because non-wing is quite regional vice wing, which is more national. There is more opportunity to blend in with the latter going from place to place. With non-wing you are a tad more limited and more likely to venture out and across, whereas with wings, you stay with status quo and the numbers - if that makes sense.

Me, I will never underestimate what some of the WoO and All Star guys could do if they tried non-wing for a while. On the other side, I'd like to see what Dave Darland could have done with a wing had he gone that way. The sky might have been the limit.

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something to ponder/discuss