IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You could make the argument
11/15/15, 2:36 PM   #21
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider20 View Post
Schatz....hands down. Numbers don't lie.
I am sure I will get jumped on for this, but IMO the level of competition Schatz went up against was less then what Ballou, Clauson or Short had to race against. Schatz is a great driver with great equipment, but the level of competition on the WOO tour this year was not at great as in previous years.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, oppweld
11/15/15, 2:42 PM   #22
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS2683 View Post
I am sure I will get jumped on for this, but IMO the level of competition Schatz went up against was less then what Ballou, Clauson or Short had to race against. Schatz is a great driver with great equipment, but the level of competition on the WOO tour this year was not at great as in previous years.
That's tough to call. Shane Stewart was pretty quick this season and the KKR duo of Sweet and Pittman was always tough. Where I think Schatz' talent really stands out is at knoxville. You get everyone there. It's the best of the best, but nobody can beat him. That drive from the B in I think 2013 was amazing.

1 member likes this post: kellenhomburg
11/15/15, 9:33 PM   #23
flagboy55

A lot of great posts on this thread. If I said who's the best wing racer right now it would be Schatz hands down. If I said non wing I would vote for Robert. But I said sprint car racer which in my world includes both, and also excludes the 2 I've just mentioned from my intent. Apparently a lot of folks don't care about the other one but I love em both and love driver crossover. I was there when woo went both ways and boy I wish it was still that way. Anyway Clauson (Charles I know how to spell his name but my phone keeps telling me I'm wrong, but I changed it for ya) wins in both, and I love that. And I can't agree with Mr Funk more that his ambitious schedule next year will draw a lot of attention and I believe a lot of wins, and even more illustrate my point

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Racer1039
11/15/15, 9:50 PM   #24
Re: You could make the argument
old time Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
That is what the team made, but what did they spend? Donnie flies to most races. I would guess Ballou spent less than they did, by a lot. As for USAC being a regional series, I have a hard time calling a series that starts in Florida, ends in California and Arizona, goes to Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin regional. Sure, they don't travel as much as the Outlaws, but I would say they are more national than anyone else. I also think the it may be as hard to win a USAC race as it is an Outlaw race, minus Donnie Schatz. They got beat by locals a few times this year.
Starting to sound like South Dakota might be added to the list of states next year!!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, jim goerge
11/15/15, 10:11 PM   #25
flagboy55

I sure hope the big show at badlands produces more crossover

11/15/15, 10:42 PM   #26
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
That's tough to call. Shane Stewart was pretty quick this season and the KKR duo of Sweet and Pittman was always tough. Where I think Schatz' talent really stands out is at knoxville. You get everyone there. It's the best of the best, but nobody can beat him. That drive from the B in I think 2013 was amazing.
Oh yea, that run from the back was amazing. Actually had me wondering "Maybe I should stop going, I'll never see anything better".... but I started going to more wingless, no Knoxville for me this past summer... Kokomo Smackdown instead!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
11/15/15, 10:44 PM   #27
revjimk

Tho he hasn't done much sprint car stuff recently, you have to consider Kyle Larson too
Hear he's gonna be at Turkey Nite.... wish I could stay!

2 members like this post: fish, flagboy55
11/15/15, 10:46 PM   #28
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Please Folks. CLAUSON with a O for Oval Nationals Winner
Oops....I have a friend who spells it with an "e"..... excuuuuuse me!

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/15/15, 10:52 PM   #29
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mcghee View Post
Everyone needs to download the race monitor app, then you can see the live lap times of a race! Take into account it was a 40 lap race and luck wasn't the determining factor!! Remember its the car that takes the checkers 1st not who leads lap 1..
Usually I discount the luck factor in sports myself. If your opponent screws up, you outperformed him. That applies to KT Jr. who wrecked on his own. But not to TMez, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time thru no fault of his own.
Not to discredit Clauson at all, by the way. He beat a great field of drivers, was out of practice with wingless cars, & I was happy to see him win after engine blew the nite before. Driving to Phoenix & back all nite to get a new one? Amazing, sounds like one of those "good ole days" stories....

11/15/15, 11:16 PM   #30
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Oh yea, that run from the back was amazing. Actually had me wondering "Maybe I should stop going, I'll never see anything better".... but I started going to more wingless, no Knoxville for me this past summer... Kokomo Smackdown instead!
Yeah I have to admit I grew up as a kid going to the weekly wing shows at Tri State Speedway, so I've always been a little partial to wings, but I love both. I was fortunate enough to attend both the Smackdown and the Knoxville Nats this year. I'll readily admit the non wing cars put on better shows. I go to Kokomo every Sunday that I can, but I love the speed of the wing cars. I make sure I get a pit pass every time I go to Eldora for a WoO show just to go watch hot laps down there, and that experience makes me feel as if I've got my money's worth. Back to the topic though, I'm just really glad to be around to see the likes of Ballou, Schatz, Clauson, Darland, Abreu, etc (I could make a scroll with this list ha).

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You could make the argument