IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Do updates keep you away?
5/23/14, 2:50 PM   #1
Do updates keep you away?
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Having a debate here at Bloomington. Do live updates keep you from coming to the track?

1 member likes this post: dirt in ur beer
5/23/14, 2:54 PM   #2
Re: Do updates keep you away?
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Having a debate here at Bloomington. Do live updates keep you from coming to the track?
Not when I'm 1200 miles away

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE, Josh Kinser, luckybuc97, PJ Wright
5/23/14, 2:56 PM   #3
4th turn fan

I can't see, smell, hear, taste ( dust ) the action by ready updates. They are helpful if I can't make it .

5/23/14, 3:01 PM   #4
Copperhead

Absolutely not. Lack of money keeps me away! I try to go when I can, but being a racer too makes it hard to be a spectator often. Updates are great when you can't be there, but no substitute for actually being there.

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
5/23/14, 3:27 PM   #5
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Not at all ! When I'm at knoxville I'm checking race monitor or twitter for outlaws or USAC . When I'm at a USAC show I'm checking knoxvilles App . Nothing better than being at the races with a beautiful woman and checking what's going on at the races u couldn't make it to .

5/23/14, 3:31 PM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
My health prevents me from attending races now but the simple fact that people are debating on whether or not live updates lowers attendance shows me that people don't have a clue where the fans come from. People are following Indiana racing from all over the country/world.

Only 40% of the web traffic to IOW is from Indiana. I posted more detailed info at some point last year.

If someone told me they thought live updates lowered the attendance to a track. I'd have one response to them. You're an idiot.

5/23/14, 3:31 PM   #7
Avon Open Wheel fan

Nothing beats being at the track. I do not even feel TV keeps me from going to a race. It comes down to if I can afford to go and just finding the time to go sometimes.

I would like to see more live internet coverage I think most fans would be willing to pay to watch a race and it would bring in extra revenue to the local tracks.

Updates are nice to keep us fans who can not attend every race in the loop. If anything I think it helps more than it hurts. Keep the updates a coming.

www.illinimidgets.com

5/23/14, 3:36 PM   #8
fish

Live updates have absolutely no bearing as to if I attend a race or not.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/23/14, 3:39 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Absolutely not, I make what I can make. I can honestly say the days of more than once a month 400 mi round trip races are over for the short term but i try to make at least one race a week.

As was posted, There is no perspective in updates. Only whats happening, No sounds, no WOW, how'd he do that? or OMG I hope he's oks. Same with a filmed race, I can't get the rumble in my body that 900hp ground pounders are putting down on the track when Im there. Sure its nice to be able to see what happened later, But its past tense, not live, you probably knew what happened before you watched it. etc.

NOTHING LIKE BEING AT THE TRACK, NOTHING. You could watch NHRA drag racing for decades and finally go to a track with Top Fuel and Nitro. When that concussion hits from the exhaust of them cars. YOU'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE and you think HOLY *$*## WOW. I've been missing the WHOLE EXPERIENCE.

I think the fact that mostly it helps people who either have to work or live far away is the best thing about updates. keeping track of some of their favorite drivers so they know how he's been doing when they can get to the track.

Some of these drivers I don't even know, Especially Waynesfield and Paragon and some of Bloomingtons. Hearing names and descriptions of what they've done, Helps me, when I finally do get to their track or they come to mine.

Theres many on this board who travel far more than me and attend many more races. I can say I logged 20,000 miles mostly in Indiana running back and fourth between home and the tracks last year. Hit about 40 shows. ENJOYED EVERY ONE! Hit all but Paragon and Haubstadt at some point last year, many two or three times. and the home track about 12+
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/23/14 at 3:42 PM.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, Mud Packer, PJ Wright
5/23/14, 3:43 PM   #10
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Updates n televised races only soothe the withdrawals ! Dirt and burnt methanol r the only true fix for my addiction !

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Do updates keep you away?