IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Spindles for SIX-PIN/SPLINED??
9/17/13, 10:49 AM   #1
Spindles for SIX-PIN/SPLINED??
hath27

I am looking to build a spare front-end for my sprint car. I have the older style splined hubs. I just picked up a spare set of hubs, bearings, seals. I just need a set of spindles.

Are the "long-nose" spindles that BR Motorsports sells the correct spindle for the Splined hubs?

Anyone have a used set they want to sell???

9/24/13, 5:47 PM   #2
Re: Spindles for SIX-PIN/SPLINED??
darnall

I have splined fronts on my car....and I am 99% sure that I have short snout spindles on the car and long spindles on my spare front end...I think they made the splined front hubs 2 different ways, one to fit short and one to fit long.

My car is an attic dweller that a buddy of mine pulled out of the rafters and let me run this year. It was a winged car so I bought a used 52" front axle and swapped over all the front end parts, and we found another older heavier 52" axle in the attic that I built for a spare... we went thru what seemed like 15 sets of spindles, steering arms and splined hubs to find enough stuff that was compatible with each other and that wasn't rusted up in the bearing races so bad it was un-useable..I really don't remember what we ended up piecing together for my spare front end but I am sure as hell that there were 2 different length sizes of these splined hubs.

Are your extra hubs the same length as the ones on the car? If so measure them, let me know what the measurement is, and I will compare to mine to help you figure out which you have. Again, I am pretty sure they made those hubs to fit both types of spindles so we need to determine which ones yours work on.

10/10/13, 10:53 AM   #3
hath27

Just an update to this dilemna: I found a deal on some six-pin hub/spindles that had the pressure plates/threads on them, so I picked them up.
What I found was indeed they are the long-nose spindles. But as you indicated, they made splined hubs for both styles of spindles. I now have one set of splined-hubs that uses the long nose spindle, and another set of splined-hubs that use ???? Its a much shorter hub than the hub for the long-nose spindle.

The inner bearing is the same bearing for both hubs, but the outer bearing on the "short" hub is much bigger. Almost the same diameter as the inner in fact.

I see that some direct mount hubs use a stepped spindle. Is this the spindle that I need for these "short" splined-hubs???

10/10/13, 11:37 AM   #4
TQ29m

Yes, you're right, it is confusing. Sounds like what you now have is a pair of hubs, for the short, straight snouts, that use the same size inner and outer bearings. Get out your Speedway catalog, and do some research, or go to MPD's web site, or Winters, Sander, anyone that makes the hubs and spindles, and get your yardstick out and do some measuring, and make SURE what you have is what you want to use, you've taken a long detour to get where you want to be, now do the research you should have done to start with. Bob!

10/10/13, 12:21 PM   #5
hath27

No, the short hubs use a slightly smaller outer bearing than the inner bearing. I just dont know if thats the same bearing I.D. as the stepped tube spindle, or is it another "off-the-wall" nostalgic spindle that no one sells anymore?

10/10/13, 12:32 PM   #6
TQ29m

Those must be really old, I do remember several years back, see a few of those combinations, I guess they did it so you wouldn't assemble them wrong, and you might still run across a pr of spindles that have that style snout, or modify a newer pr, it shouldn't be a big deal to turn the outer end of the spud for the smaller brg, if you have the races, you could get a part number off them, and match up the brg, but then, you might just buy new sets, and sell yours, then you'd know what you have. Bob

10/10/13, 12:44 PM   #7
TQ29m

MPD has the "stubby" on their web site, last items on the page, that's what they called them when they first started making them, part # SKU14000SHTS. Bob

10/12/13, 8:32 PM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

Basically there are 3 different styles of spindles.(Actually a few more as there are variations that look similar, but have different spacing on steering arm bolts.

-Tapered long nose: Uses a large inner bearing and a small outer bearing. Found on older knock-off style hubs. Ones that used knock-offs or single wheel nuts. Typically uses a 3.75 Steering arm Spacing.

-Stepped Bearing: Often found on pavement cars. Used for Six Pin and Splined Hubs mostly, but Sander and DMI still offer Direct Mount Hubs to fit them. Uses 3.75 Steering arm Spacing.

-Shortie Style: Uses Same Bearing inner and outer. Lighter Unit made for dirt sprint. Has 3.25 Spacing on steering arms. Typically has lower steering arm bolt holes missing. Often referred to as a midget style spindle, but uses the bigger sprint car king pin.

10/14/13, 9:34 AM   #9
hath27

Thank you for the knowledgable reply!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Spindles for SIX-PIN/SPLINED??