IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought
7/11/22, 4:33 PM   #1
Lawrenceburg thought
cmiracingvids

Please don’t chastise me here but, what if Lawrenceburg started running winged 410 sprints weekly instead of non wing?
With so many guys wanting to move up and run winged cars anyway, and the burg being right next to Ohio (winged country)I think they could stand out amongst all the other tracks in Indiana and provide a place for guys to try winged stuff before going to the All Stars or another traveling series.
I know we all love non wing, and I do over winged cars as well. But I think the burg doing something different could actually work out.
Being respectful, what’s everyone’s thoughts?

5 members like this post: Midget98, nathans1012, oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner
7/11/22, 5:29 PM   #2
Re: Lawrenceburg thought
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I look at what Circle city tried to do last year and don't think that's a option. Staab told me back in 86-87 that that winged fad would last five years tops, he was 100% right. LBurg, Bloomington went from 35-40 counts down to 8-9 cars The closest hot bed is maybe Freemont area and their car counts aren't stellar, Solid, but not stellar.

What might work is a ASCS 360 Non Wing with a spec RR.
Non ACSS heads bolt on weight. Also the D2 midgets have been great the last two times I seen them. Lucas LM indiana Speed week. Hell Tour LM's A FAST/All Star weekend.

Who knows, I don't think going from 25-30 races on a motor to ten. Going from 25 gallons of racing fuel to 40 in a night solves any problems.

3 members like this post: cornerthree, oppweld, spankytoo
7/11/22, 6:37 PM   #3
dsc1600

I don’t think weekly would work but maybe once a month bringing the FAST series or trying to get some Atomic cars might be a good change of pace.

4 members like this post: nathans1012, PIT CART, ROSCO, tirespinner
7/11/22, 8:01 PM   #4
DaleDuBois

The truth is that most people who watch the sprint cars like the non-wing sprints the best. Back in the day when WoO started watching winged sprint cars race was something new and good for that time in sprint car racing. But I think watching winged sprint cars race is not as popular as it once was. I don't hear much about the WoO like I used to hear, I also think their car count is less. For the people who watch sprint car racing, watching maybe one or two shows of winged sprint cars is enough as it is mostly the same winners with not many new winged sprint car racers. For non-winged sprint cars racing there is always new racers which is what people want to see.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/22, 9:24 PM   #5
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
The truth is that most people who watch the sprint cars like the non-wing sprints the best. Back in the day when WoO started watching winged sprint cars race was something new and good for that time in sprint car racing. But I think watching winged sprint cars race is not as popular as it once was. I don't hear much about the WoO like I used to hear, I also think their car count is less. For the people who watch sprint car racing, watching maybe one or two shows of winged sprint cars is enough as it is mostly the same winners with not many new winged sprint car racers. For non-winged sprint cars racing there is always new racers which is what people want to see.
Just out of curiosity, where are you from? What you’ve described in this post is the opposite of reality for everywhere except Indiana. No offense, but it almost sounds like someone that has never left the city of Indianapolis thinking that IndyCar is the most popular form of auto racing in the world.

On the subject of winged sprints at Lawrenceburg, I’d like to see them bring back the Hoosier Fall Classic first. See how it goes bringing back that race in addition to keeping the World of Outlaws show on Memorial Day, and possibly add a FAST series race sometime between those two shows. I know this is fantasy booking and it will never happen.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 7/11/22 at 11:04 PM.

6 members like this post: fish, L Sprint 11, nathans1012, opnwhlmnd, Russ, tirespinner
7/12/22, 1:52 AM   #6
DaleDuBois

In a reply to hoosier race fan, Indiana has maybe more racetracks than any other state. So, if you want to see sprints with wings or without wings one of these tracks will be running what you would want to see. I think any track that would be running sprint cars with wings every week would get to be boring. The most successful tracks in Indiana do not run the same class of racecars every week. There are exceptions like Lincoln Park which runs non-winged sprints every week, but they also run the 305-winged sprints some as an extra class. I started racing in the sixties with cars that I could afford like street stocks and a six-cylinder class till the IMCA mods came along. IMCA mod rules kept the engines affordable till UMP started racing mods.

7/12/22, 9:33 AM   #7
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I look at what Circle city tried to do last year and don't think that's a option. Staab told me back in 86-87 that that winged fad would last five years tops, he was 100% right. LBurg, Bloomington went from 35-40 counts down to 8-9 cars The closest hot bed is maybe Freemont area and their car counts aren't stellar, Solid, but not stellar.

What might work is a ASCS 360 Non Wing with a spec RR.
Non ACSS heads bolt on weight. Also the D2 midgets have been great the last two times I seen them. Lucas LM indiana Speed week. Hell Tour LM's A FAST/All Star weekend.

Who knows, I don't think going from 25-30 races on a motor to ten. Going from 25 gallons of racing fuel to 40 in a night solves any problems.
Speaking from experience out west, the last thing you want to do is add non wing 360s.

7/12/22, 9:39 AM   #8
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
The truth is that most people who watch the sprint cars like the non-wing sprints the best. Back in the day when WoO started watching winged sprint cars race was something new and good for that time in sprint car racing. But I think watching winged sprint cars race is not as popular as it once was. I don't hear much about the WoO like I used to hear, I also think their car count is less. In a reply to hoosier race fan, Indiana has maybe more racetracks than any other state.
Let's use Huset's for example:
World of Outlaws there three weeks ago. Attendance sold out.
USAC at Huset's this past weekend. Attendance embarrassing.

2022 winners:
WoO 15
USAC 9

2022 average car count:
WoO 36
USAC 29

2022 total purse payout so far:
WoO 2,225,075
USAC 514,910

Eldora this week for Historical Big One, Night Before King's Royal, and King's Royal will be near full capacity.
USAC there in September for the 4 Crown Nationals attendance will be at best 1/4 capacity.

Dirt ovals per state:
Kalifornia 35
Pennsylvania 33
Iowa 30
New York 27
Ohio 24
Minnesota 24
Wisconsin 23
Missouri 20
Tennesse 20
Texas 18
Nebraska 18
Indiana 17

Hate it when facts get in the way of an agenda.

7/12/22, 10:58 AM   #9
RR>LR=LTO

It’s about money. As much I hate to agree with Chuck nug he’s exactly right. Now if they wanted to pay $2500 for a weekly show and had the bankroll to give it time to catch on, it would work. I’d buy wings for my cars and race there. But the motor maintenance and fuel consumption and tire wear are too costly to race for $1400

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

7/12/22, 11:01 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Let's use Huset's for example:
World of Outlaws there three weeks ago. Attendance sold out.
USAC at Huset's this past weekend. Attendance embarrassing.

2022 winners:
WoO 15
USAC 9

2022 average car count:
WoO 36
USAC 29

2022 total purse payout so far:
WoO 2,225,075
USAC 514,910

Eldora this week for Historical Big One, Night Before King's Royal, and King's Royal will be near full capacity.
USAC there in September for the 4 Crown Nationals attendance will be at best 1/4 capacity.

Dirt ovals per state:
Kalifornia 35
Pennsylvania 33
Iowa 30
New York 27
Ohio 24
Minnesota 24
Wisconsin 23
Missouri 20
Tennesse 20
Texas 18
Nebraska 18
Indiana 17

Hate it when facts get in the way of an agenda.
Well despite half of this being apples and oranges Menusha.
What's it got to do in a Lawrenceburg thread?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought