IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
7/1/22, 7:57 AM   #1
Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I look at some of these feature lengths and wonder, Why do they allow this? Do they think it's helping the product? The sooner a show is over the more will go back and buy t shirts etc. Some of these features lasting a hour,

Seriously. So and so has a flat, So he gets two minutes. Just as he comes back another has a flat and pulls in, so he gets two minutes. Add in a fuel stop because of all this has made those cars that never stop reach the fuel window under yellow.

At least make it a work only under red and if your not back by the time the lineup is right. You're done.

What say you? Both fan and competitor? Drama or action?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/1/22 at 8:00 AM.

5 members like this post: 3R, Bostonian, cornerthree, throb, trannyman
7/1/22, 8:10 AM   #2
Eric Smith

I think it adds both drama and action. The drama that something happened, then the drama of will they be able to get it fixed in time, then the drama of how far will they be able to advance when they restart in the back. There's action of getting to/from the work area, the action in the work area, then the action when they try to advance as far as they can.

I think most people at the races are there for the aforementioned action and drama, not necessarily to buy tshirts. So I think most fans would rather have the action and drama that work areas provide over the extra 2 minutes to buy tshirts.

Sometimes I get sick of yellows and work areas too, but overall I think the good outweighs the bad.

7/1/22, 8:51 AM   #3
Re: Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
opnwhlmnd

So we are going to tell the team "We know Hoosier sold you a defective tire but too bad you get to finish 22nd tonight."

So it's an extra 16 minutes added to the race if say eight cars need repairs I can live with that. Have to keep teams on the road and a fair chance to earn as many points/money as they can each night.

Personally I find it pretty amazing some teams can replace a whole front axle assembly in 2 minutes.

5 members like this post: CRA91, dsc1600, nathans1012, Pancho Stapp, PIT CART
7/1/22, 9:26 AM   #4
Midget98

I'm with you completely Charles. Both as a former competitor and now as a spectator, I hate all of the delays in the show for this sort of stuff. Stuff happens and sometimes you get a flat or break something. If you fix it and get back out before the green that's one thing, but all of this extra time or two minutes for this and two minutes for that is just a waste of time for the fans and tthe rest of the competitors.

7/1/22, 9:56 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
So we are going to tell the team "We know Hoosier sold you a defective tire but too bad you get to finish 22nd tonight."

So it's an extra 16 minutes added to the race if say eight cars need repairs I can live with that. Have to keep teams on the road and a fair chance to earn as many points/money as they can each night.

Personally I find it pretty amazing some teams can replace a whole front axle assembly in 2 minutes.

Ya know, I get the points racer wanting to finish as high as possible. But most time's all it ads is cost to the teams and time on the night.

We used to start racing at 830 and be done at 10-10:30. It was two spins, You're out and if you broke. including a tire. You're done.

7/1/22, 12:32 PM   #6
Will Shunk

I came up when you broke, bent, or had a flat, you finished down the lineup. The drama was could you erase the point loss next race. I wish we could limit responses to this post to those under the age of 40. They are the future of our sport. Do they like the show to move along at a natural pace or do they prefer the artificial lengthening of the night with "work area drama" opportunities throughout a feature race. Their opinion carries so much weight on this question as they are more prone to stream racing. PS. Not a controversy, but a legit issue for many older fans if the nights continue to get too long, whose drive home is hours+, vs streaming live/on demand. Ultimately, fan attendance will decide which is the better choice.
Last edited by Will Shunk; 7/1/22 at 12:34 PM.

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, PIT CART
7/1/22, 12:53 PM   #7
Steve Wendel

I'm completely over work areas period!

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/1/22, 1:02 PM   #8
Jonr

I also hate work areas. It completely ruins the flow of the show. It makes sense to have them for a red flag, but not for a yellow.

7/1/22, 1:11 PM   #9
kendirt

Have you thought about putting starters on them?

That too would move the show along.

7/1/22, 1:20 PM   #10
spicoli

How about we leave the work area like it is and have a show with less than eight classes?
Or, how about we start on time?
Or, how about we move the show along, like maybe no intermission when it's 10 o'clock at night?
When Ray Toft ran Wilmot, in all classes, if you were not lined up in the chute by the white flag of the race before you, you started on the tail.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.