IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why Darlabd can’t keep a ride?
8/7/19, 12:27 PM   #21
flagboy55

I know that there are all types of theories on this but my theory is it has to be more than money. Their name associated with a product sells. I wouldn’t think it would be terribly difficult for them to drum up say a 50k sponsorship for a team with their name on it. I would have to believe something like that would go a long way for some of the smaller teams to make them more consistently competitive. This opinion is just a fan perspective that sees the value that their endorsement has on a particular product
Last edited by flagboy55; 8/7/19 at 12:29 PM.

2 members like this post: grumpy racer, oppweld
8/7/19, 5:30 PM   #22
openwheelfan1

KKR has had NAPA on Sweet’s car for several years, but even though Daryn Pittman was a known commodity, they had trouble getting sponsorship for that car once Great Clips departed. TSR has had several different sponsors over the last three years on Donny Schatz’s car. The point here is that even the “name” owners can have trouble getting and keeping sponsors.

With regard to winged vs. non-winged sponsorships and costs, look at the facts. On the non-wing side, the Oval Nationals at Perris pays $25,000 on the last night. The CornBelt Nationals paid $20,000. Pretty much the rest of the non-winged features run pay $6,000 or less. On the winged side, the Kings Royal paid $175,000, Knoxville pays $150,000, Jackson paid $40,000, The Don Martin Memorial paid $25,000, the Williams Grove Open pays $25,000, and I think there are a couple more that pay close to $20,000. Yes, expenses are higher, but so is the opportunity to cover expenses.

Finally, let’s talk about exposure for the sponsor. A top tier WoO team races all over the country approx. 80 times/year. They will traverse the country twice. USAC schedule is 44 races, but the bulk of the races are in a 3-4 state region. As far as attendance, there are what, 25,000 people at Eldora for the Kings Royal? There will be approx. the same number Saturday night at Knoxville. It would probably take two years of ISW attendance to equal that attendance of these two major winged events. Again, my point being that a sponsor gets a LOT more exposure with a sponsorship of a WoO car than a USAC car

Now before I get accused of being a WoO hack, I’ll tell you I have followed USAC Sprint cars for over 50 years. I love non-winged racing!! I also enjoy winged Sprint cars and truly enjoy the Knoxville Nationals. There just aren’t a lot of sponsors lining up to sponsor a race car, and the ones that are want a quantifiable return for their investment. Racing has always been both a sport and a business, but now it is much more a business and less of a sport.

8/7/19, 7:58 PM   #23
flagboy55

All of what you said is very well documented. The chase for sponsors is circular, no one keeps anyone forever. And before I get accused of being a USAC hack, anyone of those guys could probably write a check for 50 grand to a non wing team and not really miss it. Even if there is no money involved, even you can see the value of their endorsement. Seems one of them or any other of the “graduates “ of USAC could talk up the series that ultimately was their springboard to success.

4 members like this post: duel, Hotrod, jdull99, oppweld
8/7/19, 10:03 PM   #24
Re: Why Darlabd can’t keep a ride?
duel

Dave is one of the last that won on pavement and dirt with usac sprints. Sprints are all dirt now in usac and they are successful with it. I think they are doing well. Competition is really tough with a whole lot of young talent. It is a treasure to see him still racing at the top class in sprint car racing. $$$$ for a ride and would never count him out for more wins in usac still.

8/8/19, 10:31 AM   #25
Harleyburns16

o
Last edited by Harleyburns16; 8/21/19 at 10:16 AM. Reason: delet

3 members like this post: Al Pierce, Longtime sprinter, tirespinner
8/8/19, 3:46 PM   #26
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
So where are the owners and sponsors of yesteryear? Chevy Performance, Turbines, Freightliner, Indiana Underground, Terre Haute Bank whatever its name was, whose fault is it? USAC? Can Smoke or Young Money twist some arms and bring some money back? Or will the federal government raise tax rates and suck away the money that could have supported racing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indiana underground owner died, Don Smith from terre Haute First national bank died, Turbines inc guy stopped racing, it's no ones fault even though seems like everyone wants to blame USAC foe everything

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
8/8/19, 3:52 PM   #27
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

"Turbines inc guy stopped racing" Jim Mills happens to be his name. We can add the late Bill Biddle from Hannig Construction of Terre Haute, he fielded the #26 & #62 with the late Jack French as the crew chief.
Let's not forget Kenny Carmichael Jr & Sr, #92c & 92.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
Last edited by Dirtfan; 8/8/19 at 4:02 PM.

8/8/19, 4:11 PM   #28
Non wing lover

It would help usac if they had a TV contract that help get exposure for the series I always the thunder series years ago on espn

5 members like this post: Bdarland, duel, Hotrod, jdull99, tirespinner
8/8/19, 6:40 PM   #29
bighd0522

I think I heard Bobby Allen say on open red podcast that every time he rolls car out at a race track is $500.00 per car, maybe the non wing series with the committed full timers could come up with something like this. Especially since purses are mediocre.
Last edited by bighd0522; 8/8/19 at 6:58 PM.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
8/9/19, 9:14 AM   #30
k41l

Here is why. Car owners gone since early 2000’s

Britt tool 2 cars
Hannig construction 2-4 cars
Turbines 3 cars
Edison
Roudebusch
Booe brothers multiple cars
Law brothers

I know there were lots more but these were right off the top of my head. All cars with real drivers not rent a ride (I think anyway)

3 members like this post: Bdarland, dirtnonwingfan, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why Darlabd can’t keep a ride?