IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hot lapping/Qualifying
6/17/13, 11:48 AM   #1
Hot lapping/Qualifying
Jerry Spencer

Maybe Josh and some of the top drivers we know are doing it wrong so I am going to ask your opinion.

Last night Josh was putting room between him and the car in front of him, the radio was telling the drivers to give plenty of room and spread out, coming to the green most drivers hold off standing on the gas to spread things out a little more to give themselves a clear track for as long as possible (holding back within reason)

Coming to the green should you pass bunching things up standing on the gas or keep the distance between cars until the flag is waiving. again at a reasonable pace

If I remember right the firled green is to pick up speed and when waiving the green for the designated car starts the clock and in my opinion passing/racing is ok.

The drivers we talked to last night thought that the clear path for as long as possible was the way to do it as you are looking for that good lap in the clear, kinda like the single car used to be.

Thank you

Jerry #66j
stida.com/HalfMoon/Colescotts Mobil-1

6/17/13, 12:25 PM   #2
Re: Hot lapping/Qualifying
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Jerry,

I realize that this is a drivers question, but isn't this discussed in the drivers meeting? Kokomo is one of the few weekly tracks that group qualifys so I would think that they would discuss how it should be done. Are there any other tracks that group qualify that maybe I am not aware of?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
6/17/13, 12:31 PM   #3
BrandonT30

I personally hate group qualifying but the single car qualfying takes a while and drys out the track. On special events single car qualfying is good but not every week. My 2 cents

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Spi-nex
6/17/13, 3:43 PM   #4
19racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
Maybe Josh and some of the top drivers we know are doing it wrong so I am going to ask your opinion.

Last night Josh was putting room between him and the car in front of him, the radio was telling the drivers to give plenty of room and spread out, coming to the green most drivers hold off standing on the gas to spread things out a little more to give themselves a clear track for as long as possible (holding back within reason)

Coming to the green should you pass bunching things up standing on the gas or keep the distance between cars until the flag is waiving. again at a reasonable pace

If I remember right the firled green is to pick up speed and when waiving the green for the designated car starts the clock and in my opinion passing/racing is ok.

The drivers we talked to last night thought that the clear path for as long as possible was the way to do it as you are looking for that good lap in the clear, kinda like the single car used to be.

Thank you

Jerry #66j
stida.com/HalfMoon/Colescotts Mobil-1
Not sure if this is the answer your looking for. Here is what I here on the raceceiver that I wear. Ok gentleman spread out,give yourself room 4 laps, going green on the 66 of spencer in turn 1. Wind them up going green green green. That's a example of what's said before every hotlap/group qualifying

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: fish, Indy1808, Jerry Spencer, jim goerge
6/17/13, 4:02 PM   #5
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

I hear the same thing as 19 on my headset but will ad that they want you spread out
#1 to give plenty of room to get it running up to speed and
2nd, and most important to see that each individual Transponder is hitting and recording so its not a waste or can bring a car in if its not hitting to get it right & try again.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

6/17/13, 4:16 PM   #6
19racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
I hear the same thing as 19 on my headset but will ad that they want you spread out
#1 to give plenty of room to get it running up to speed and
2nd, and most important to see that each individual Transponder is hitting and recording so its not a waste or can bring a car in if its not hitting to get it right & try again.
They try to check transponders during wheel pack. Sometimes there not on the car or installed correctly or could just be weak. They do make sure they all hit before we go green

Posted via Mobile Device

6/17/13, 5:21 PM   #7
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I would think that if you aren't smart enough to realize you should spread out in this situation you aren't smart enough to be driving a race car.

6/17/13, 5:32 PM   #8
BrandonT30

The biggest problem I see as a fan is to many cars on track for qualifying making it hard to get the drivers spread out evenly.

6/17/13, 5:41 PM   #9
coondog

Here's a scenario that happens every week. Lets say im in turn 3 and they are telling us on the radio they are going green on the 66 in the middle of the back straight. There are cars on the front straight that aren't going. I know I have a complete lap before I'm taking the green. So I'm going to wait until the track is clear in front of me. Group qualifying is selfish. Nobody wants to be the one to gas it up. In my opinion, they should not pick out a car to go green on. Just get everyone up to speed, then pick the car. Last night, I may have gotten 2 good laps in.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/17/13, 11:02 PM   #10
Sandy Lowe

I know this is something we need to get better at if we start using the practice times at Lawrenceburg. Sometimes we go green on a car and they are not much faster than an idle when they cross the loop to start the session. We also need to be better at making sure every session gets the same number of laps and we don't cut a group short because of a caution.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hot lapping/Qualifying