IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #1 1/12/11 11:23 PM
Chick Hale, a true midwest racing legend passed away Tuesday. He was one incredible racer, and a true gentleman.RIP Chick
11 Likes: Charles Nungester, EBookerFan, FishBurger, jim goerge, mod4s, pavement#23, rdzsprint, Speedwrench, wallbanger II, worm
spade (Offline)
  #2 1/13/11 12:27 PM
I worked for Chick back in 1959 & 60. There were times we raced 6 times a week and he held down a full time job. He could get more out of nothing, used parts and cast offs than could ever be imagined. A genuine nice guy with a heart of gold. RIP old buddy.
FishBurger (Offline)
  #3 1/13/11 3:50 PM
Chick and Audie Schwartz were the first two I recall seeing race with a wing in the "modified" class at Lawrenceburg in the early 60's.

R.I.P. to this racer of the first order.
hacksaw (Offline)
  #4 1/13/11 4:29 PM
Sorry to hear of the passing of Chick. He was a great person and always a pleasure to chat with him at the track. He had a lot of great stories and memories. Saw him race a lot at old Whitewater Valley Speedway with Dick Debolt and Red Harvey.
snoopy (Offline)
  #5 1/13/11 4:37 PM
First time I saw him was at IRP. He went out of turn three in a woodbury modified. Everybody held their breath until a red helmet appeared over the wall. Sure could go around Eldora in anything. RIP
EldoraMark (Offline)
  #6 1/13/11 9:23 PM
Watch him race since I was a kid.
Set with him at a DARF Banquet and was amazed of the old racing stories. Could of listen to him for hours.

R.I.P Chick
nonwing (Offline)
  #7 1/15/11 3:14 PM
I grew up going to Eldora with our family sprint car and from 1966 - 1976 I will always remember watching Chick Hale almost dominating everything he raced at Eldora. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, but he was a great racer.
smith19 (Offline)
  #8 1/15/11 4:37 PM
hey hacksaw, was debolt in the rueben bros. #22.

CHRIS SMITH
hacksaw (Offline)
  #9 1/16/11 10:30 AM
Can't remember
cecil98 (Offline)
  #10 1/16/11 2:26 PM
Originally Posted by FishBurger:
Chick and Audie Schwartz were the first two I recall seeing race with a wing in the "modified" class at Lawrenceburg in the early 60's.

R.I.P. to this racer of the first order.
Marv add a guy by the name of Jim Cushman to that group that first ran a wing at the Burg in the early 60's. He drove and aluminum colored (unpainted) modified with the number "0".

RIP Chick Hale........