IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich
7/21/11, 1:41 PM   #11
Re: 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
D.J. died When How?
DJ died 3 or 4 years. Not sure of the cause of death.

7/21/11, 3:14 PM   #12
CROSSED FLAGS

Every since i was hired as the flagman at Salem, I pause at the entrance to the pits and say a quick thanks to Rapid Rich every event for the great memories.

7/21/11, 3:45 PM   #13
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I'll never forget that night. My mother and I were sitting on the aisle that led up to the announcers booth and I vividly remember Gary Lee and Larry Rice coming by us on their way up to the booth.
When the feature began, Rich was in a class of his own. I remember that someone contacted the guardrail on the backstretch and they had to stop the race for repairs; then there was a power outage.
After the restart, Rich continued to dominate. He was so far ahead that I had momentarily shifted my focus to second place Jeff Gordon, whom Rich was not far from lapping.
I was really not aware of the crash until a lady sitting behind us made a comment that his helmet had come off. I then observed that the front axle assembly had traveled more than halfway from the fourth turn to the start-finish line. The right side of the car did not appear to have much damage, though. Rollie Beale walked over to the car and I could tell by his reaction that Rich was probably beyond help.
I recorded the race on my VCR and had it set to turn off at 10:06PM. The accident occurred at 9:59PM and the broadcast showed Rich being transported out of the track just as the VCR shut off.
Also, USAC car owner, Glen Neibel, was thought to have suffered a heart attack that evening, and he was transported from the track. It turned out to be a gastrointestinal upset.
I had trouble remembering Glen's name at first, but I believe that he was the person transported. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have the book "NO TIME FOR YESTERDAY RICH VOGLER: HIS LIFE 1950-1990" By John Sawyer. Very interesting read. Don't know as it is still available as publisher Carl Hungness is out of business.
While USAC sprint car racing is still immensely exciting and entertaining, it lost an element that is irreplaceable with the passing of Richard Frank Vogler.

7 members like this post: fish, John P Huss, leonhaupt, Mud Packer, racefan20, Seadog
7/21/11, 4:59 PM   #14
John P Huss

I was at my parents house watching ESPN that night in the
basement. Very sad night for me for sure. Rich was in a class
of his own and a hero of mine. I'll never forget when he crashed
out in the Indy 500 and flew his plane to run a midget race in
Sun Prairie at Angell Park Speedway. Believe it was 1987.
Hard to believe it's been 21 year's.
Best Regards,
John

1 member likes this post: jdull99
7/21/11, 5:15 PM   #15
streihawk8

I Think of Rich every day. 2 weeks ago my son Rich, wore one of Rich's uniforms he had used while racing for my Dad and Mom, at the Battle of the Brickyard in Indy for the .25 midget races. The site of seeing him in his namesakes uniform was kind of overwhelming, I was very proud. Then to see him win the heavy aa race just a few hours before my Dad passed away finished off a week of mixed emotions. RIP Rich and Big Jim!

7/21/11, 5:44 PM   #16
midgy

Rich was my favorite driver. I was at the Kings Royal and my Dad pulled me to the side and told me of the awful news. It was probably one of the hardest things he ever had to do. I will never forget the races I saw him compete in, winning many of those. RIP Rapid Rich. You and Big Jim have a lot of catching up to do.

1 member likes this post: Vukie
7/22/11, 4:10 AM   #17
jdull99

I almost always think "what would Vogler do" in every race I try to run! Wish I could have some of his results.

Any1 know the details about that Indy to Sun Prairie trip? What midget did he run? Did they already plan on having it there b4 the early 500 retirement???

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)

7/22/11, 5:40 AM   #18
coxie bowman

When ever Vogler showed up at the track, it didn't take a PHI BETA CAPPA to figure out that the price of admission was worth watching him.
I drove from Lansing to Glen Ellen on a weeknight to buy some fuel injectors from Don when I first met Rich. He was just getting started, probably had one race under him. Little did one know how much of an accomplished driver he was going to be. R.I.P.

DO's post on this thread was on the money.

7/23/11, 1:20 PM   #19
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROSSED FLAGS View Post
Every since i was hired as the flagman at Salem, I pause at the entrance to the pits and say a quick thanks to Rapid Rich every event for the great memories.
You aren't the only one...

For years after one could see certain people take a breath walking in right there. Over the years it has become like MacElreath's tree at Winchester-something we walk past as life goes on.

To me there is a difference between remembering and never forgetting. I remember Rich that night at Salem, but I never forget the exciting racing and amazing life he lived.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
7/23/11, 3:26 PM   #20
John P Huss

Jason- Rich had planned on running the KFC midget at Sun
Prairie unless he won the 500 that year. The car was in the
pits before he got there. Believe the owner at that time
was Jonathan Byrd. He owned many KFC's and eventually
sold out to open the Byrd Cafeteria's. That's a day I'll
never forget!
Best Regards,
John

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich