IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kenny Dobson - Bob Sargent - Illinois input?
5/11/20, 12:39 PM   #1
Kenny Dobson - Bob Sargent - Illinois input?
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

I was hoping 1 or both (of the best modern day promoters) might share what they can about the real information about opening up Illinois racing venues and the realties of the remaining 2020 season in Illinois. Thank You in advance.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

3 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, racenut69
5/11/20, 1:31 PM   #2
Re: Kenny Dobson - Bob Sargent - Illinois input?
chathamracefan

I'm not a promoter but live in the state. As of now, based on the governor's edict, I think the earliest crowds of 50 could gather is late June. He is also saying no events until there is either a vaccine, therapeutic treatment or some period of no new cases.

Seems this year is in dire straits at the moment. Not even scheduled to allow restaurants to start reopening for inside service until late June. IMO, the feds are going to be getting involved in Illinois at some point. Just a hunch on my part.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, skids59
5/11/20, 1:46 PM   #3
axman897

When you start looking at the guidelines handed down and how difficult they would be to reach, racing looks like it will be difficult in IL. The good news is that testing metrics are looking better and hospitalizations are dropping. Even the Chicago Tribune had a rather pointed article about the phased reopening plan. Something has to change. I have a feeling it will be sooner than later.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Indy1808, skids59
5/11/20, 2:43 PM   #4
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman897 View Post
Even the Chicago Tribune had a rather pointed article about the phased reopening plan.
The governor was quick to take a pointed shot at the Chicago Tribune Editorial Staff in retaliation for publishing that editorial article.

You just get the strange feeling the governor of Illinois is in some weird, perverse way enjoying the power he's being allowed to wield over the people of the state. Downstate in particular since he doesn't really give a dam about that area of the state and will never need our votes to be re-elected and I'm sure he knows he's nearly universally despised south of I 80 which adds to his satisfaction.

It really would be enlightening if we knew what the state and local officials are saying to Sarge and K. Dobson in reference to racing events.

5/11/20, 3:31 PM   #5
Joe Schaub

The "governor" of Illinois is simply acting like a kid that was bullied in school and now getting a chance to return that bullying.

Hate to post such a politically charged post, but this governor is killing everything below I-80 and west of I-39.

5/11/20, 4:12 PM   #6
kdobson

I'm going to stay out of the right/wrong ******** part and going to try to just speak for our situation at Jacksonville. Know that many of the Illinois track promoters communicate regularly and have been working together in both our strategy, lobbying and brainstorming. I'd rather not name names or the way it's being done, but suffice it to say that other promoters have created a system of regular contact and sharing of information over here in Illinois that should be a good thing in handling not only the present challenges, but those we as tracks are likely to face in future years as the State looks for additional revenue sources. Although I doubt he replies, know that Bob is a big part of that engagement.

Each venue has its own line of communication to State officials at varying levels and of different parties. We have been trying to harness those to have a coherent voice to all of those channels. Those contacts extend to the highest reaches of the Administration, and I'm comfortable that those doing the communicating are being heard. What comes of being heard is another story. It will likely be an evolution, but arming those folks with facts can do nothing but move our industry closer to opening than doing nothing.

We at Jacksonville continue to assist in those efforts, but each track has very unique circumstances on how hard/far they wish to push. Several track promoters in Illinois rely on the sport to put food on the table. They are the ones that are forced to make the hardest decisions and rightfully need to be as aggressive as possible. Others, like us, have less personal pressure to make something happen due our racing business being a little more hobby and a little less business. Being a fairgrounds track with a cooperative fair board when it comes to rent at times like this helps as well. There's also some truth to the fact that I've been dealing with these same issues in my day job in trying to keep 16 retail stores in Illinois open - and that's what puts the food on my table and to an extent has needed my primary 24/7 attention during this craziness.

In Jacksonville, like other towns, we have our own unique circumstances. Our Mayor is a personal best friend and great supporter of the race track that has to go out on limbs to support us even during normal times. During our last Outlaw show we were watching together and suddenly he was taking calls as to why there was a race on a Wednesday night during the school year from some neighbors. While we have great community support, in years past the race track has at times become a political issue the neighbors want to raise. We've worked hard in recent years to be good citizens with a 'community first' attitude hoping even the naysayers will see us helping an organization they support or finding some good coming out of the fact there is noise on Fridays.

I mention that because Jacksonville is also a town that is uniquely dependent on the State of Illinois for jobs. Our little town has a State Prison, the Illinois School for the Deaf, Illinois School for the Visually Impaired, a Community College branch, a big empty State Hospital grounds the State needs to do something with etc. My personal belief and the sound public policy belief of those in our town is that the Administration is likely keeping score on which communities "go rogue". Being a firm historically Republican area that relies so heavily on State resources during a Democratic administration that has a "cause" puts us in a tough spot. So far our Mayor and officials have tried to play by the rules for the most part - and we've elected not to step outside of the box given all of the above.

Personally, I think the Governor is in a position where in the near future he's going to have to create windows for more activity - even if not a full retreat and waiving of the white flag. But I also believe that we won't see people sitting shoulder to shoulder in our grandstand until we've seen it happen at bigger venues with more political/economic pull than a little race track. I'm very interested to see where things go with College Football, Wrigley Field etc. over the coming weeks.

There are certainly some tracks in Illinois that can have a viable event with social distancing in their grandstands. I expect/hope that they will have that opportunity within a month or two. We are a small venue and would have to get very creative to have significant events with social distancing requirements. So while we work with and pull for the other tracks in Illinois to have opportunities to open the doors for events and fans ASAP, we know that our timeline is going to be slightly behind theirs - although not too far. We still fully expect to have events this year at Jacksonville one way or another. We just aren't sure what the rules will be when we do it.

Finally, there's a major sponsorship component to all of this that I'm sure the racers are feeling as well. All tracks do it differently, but I try to wait and invoice sponsorships really close to our opening day - otherwise I have a tendency to piss some of it away on non-essential stuff if I see the bank account balance healthy in the winter. This stuff all happened when we were just sending out invoices - which creates another hill to take into account. That won't slow us down, but does figure into the math on what you can blow on an experiment.

Sorry to be so long. I hit the Quick Reply button, but it didn't keep this quick. I'm optimistic and planning to race and watch races in Illinois in the coming months. I think we will see some in Illinois in June somehow. I hope that by July Jacksonville and the rest can join in. Of course this is going to take some changes to the Governor's existing 5 stage plan - but I'm confident that can/will happen with communication and advocacy. You'll notice the Governor recently keeps talking about how this can all end with a treatment - which he doesn't define. If the death rate falls through better treatment/management he can declare victory and let us move on even if we aren't all the way to zero. I see him taking that escape route at some point if his plan sets us measurably behind similar states and becomes politically unbearable.

And please dont' tell your promoters to "Grow A Set". They have a set. They might just have reasons to be a little more selective about when to use them.
Last edited by kdobson; 5/11/20 at 5:31 PM.

5/11/20, 5:01 PM   #7
ISF

As usual you spell things out in clear and concise terms and language. This is why you're such a highly regarded segment of the racing scene in Illinois.

Whenever you again host a racing event at J-ville, if possible, we will either be there in person or support it in any way that is available to us as a fan.

Thank you sir.

5/11/20, 7:46 PM   #8
axman897

Thank you for your insight and opinion on this issue. I wish you nothing but the best for this year and future years. Cheers!

4 members like this post: dirt330, Hustlin-Hoosier, ISF, WinglessLovers
5/11/20, 9:13 PM   #9
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Thank you so much for taking away from your time & giving your input, Kenny.
That's why I started this in hopes you would reply.
As with any issue just like Sgt. Joe Friday said "Just the facts Ma'am.".
lt's really all I want are the facts. Unfortunately these days that's getting harder and harder to do.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
Last edited by Indy1808; 5/11/20 at 10:03 PM. Reason: corrections

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
5/11/20, 11:49 PM   #10
opnwhlmnd

Kenny Dobson,

I used to race sprint cars at Jacksonville every Friday night from 1990 to middle 2000s had to step away from the driving part of the sport when the wife died unexpectedly to raise my son. I haven't been back to Jacksonville in many years but I will show up for your first show. Thanks for all you do. We appreciate it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kenny Dobson - Bob Sargent - Illinois input?