IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite ISW Moment/Memory
7/8/14, 4:41 PM   #31
SPD 37

July 15th, 2010...

Brady Short wins ISW at Brownstown!! What a great race!!

SPD 37

7/8/14, 5:07 PM   #32
Re: Favorite ISW Moment/Memory
Jerry Shaw

Most impressive ISW performance: To me it was JJ Yeley at Terre Haute, in the Stanton car. Fast qualifier. Started 6th. Had the lead and was checking out, by the time they were on the backstretch, after taking the green. He then just demolished the field! At one point he had lapped every car, except I think Shane Cottle and was bearing down on him, when a yellow came out. Otherwise, he would have lapped the entire field!!

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7/8/14, 5:29 PM   #33
BrentTFunk

Too many to single out one. A lot of good memories.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
7/8/14, 7:02 PM   #34
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I don't remember the year but I'm sitting at Kamp just enjoying a night of ISW racing. I hear this guy a couple rows behind me say.... Well, Bill Gardner is up here somewhere.

I assumed the comment was made to get my attention so I turned around and there sit Danny Burton, talking to someone on the phone. They were asking him for a live update because Indiana Open Wheel was down.

Danny saw me in front of him and said, IOW is down right now. I laughed and said well I don't think I can do anything about it here.

I went home that evening to find out the hosting company had shut IOW down because it was getting to much traffic for the amount of money I was paying for their service.

I spent the next few days moving IOW to a new host and new servers because I found out just how popular Indiana Sprint Week was becoming around the country.

7/8/14, 7:17 PM   #35
PJ Wright

Bloomington 2000. My first ever traditional sprint car race. After the first hot lap session, I was a fan for life. Two out of the first four qualifiers flipped and I told my wife; "these guys are CRAZY !" (she agreed). All night long, every time I saw trouble developing, I'd elbow her and point. She returned the favor when she spotted Kasey Kahne headed straight for the water truck. Jay Drake dominated and lapped just about everybody, but it didn't matter. I was HOOKED!
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer
7/8/14, 7:31 PM   #36
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I believe it was '99 The night after Pletch won Terre Haute at the old Burg.

Can't remember who was the other but two cars, Yelley and another car were coming off four side by side for the checker and Jay Drake Split em for the win. My Dad swore Yelley won, But i seen what happened and indeed Drake pulled it off in the 67 Kunz car.

7/8/14, 8:15 PM   #37
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
I don't remember the year but I'm sitting at Kamp just enjoying a night of ISW racing. I hear this guy a couple rows behind me say.... Well, Bill Gardner is up here somewhere.

I assumed the comment was made to get my attention so I turned around and there sit Danny Burton, talking to someone on the phone. They were asking him for a live update because Indiana Open Wheel was down.

Danny saw me in front of him and said, IOW is down right now. I laughed and said well I don't think I can do anything about it here.

I went home that evening to find out the hosting company had shut IOW down because it was getting to much traffic for the amount of money I was paying for their service.

I spent the next few days moving IOW to a new host and new servers because I found out just how popular Indiana Sprint Week was becoming around the country.
I thought that was Lawrenceburg. But I trust your memory better than mine. Given the geography, Kamp's makes sense. After you said, in effect, oh well, I had quite a chuckle myself.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

7/8/14, 9:48 PM   #38
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Haubstat I believe it was either 2009 or 2010 BC and Levi showed up tied qualified like 9 & 10 I think they both won their heats setting up a winner take all feature. They both got to 1st and 2nd and for the last 10 laps went at it like it was .... well for a Indiana Sprint Week Title. The last 5 laps was the first time I had heard the crowd over the sound of the engines. Levi won BC finished 2nd but it was the hardest that I had seen 2 drivers race for a win & a championship to this day. I will never forget walking on the front straight away emotionally drained from the week, from the race, but yet I knew how special it was to be a part of that night.
2009. That was my favorite too. Actually that's my favorite race I've seen to this day. I've never seen two guys want something so bad and fight so hard for it - especially Bryan. That was my first trip to Haubstadt. I took two carloads of people back with me the next year!

1 member likes this post: rclaridge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite ISW Moment/Memory