IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Thoughts
8/26/20, 8:53 PM   #1
Smackdown Thoughts
flagboy55

Well due to factors that are a fallout of the Wuhan Virus, looks like I will be absent from this wonderful event. I want to wish all of you in attendance nothing but the best, and we’ll be keeping an eye on you via Floracing. I have yet to see the entry list but sure was excited to see Damion Gardner coming out. Sounds like some other west coast talent may be on the way as well. As much as I love our Indiana tracks I’m still troubled by the fact that some are running against it, when the support class is non wing sprint cars. Oh well, I guess it don’t matter with the restrictions on attendance.
One thing I could do without is King of the Hill, gimmick best saved for racing that needs it, which Smackdown definitely does not. Going to be interesting. My money will be on the Topp #4. Who’s your pick?

4 members like this post: Hubie, oppweld, spicoli, tirespinner
8/27/20, 12:02 AM   #2
Re: Smackdown Thoughts
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I have yet to see the entry list but sure was excited to see Damion Gardner coming out. Sounds like some other west coast talent may be on the way as well
Entry list was put out Tuesday. All the names are in the linked story, and you can add a few more to it starting Thursday. Expecting a car count in the low to mid-50 range!

http://usacracing.com/component/k2/i...x-race-preview

8/27/20, 10:08 AM   #3
flagboy55

Thanks Richie. Also Yeleyfan if you’re going I’m sorry I won’t get you that Scottish Ale I promised, but I haven’t forgot and I certainly will down the road. Let me know when you’re heading this way for future events

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/27/20, 11:35 AM   #4
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

"As much as I love our Indiana tracks I’m still troubled by the fact that some are running against it." What does this have to do with other tracks running their regular programs? Just because the smackdown is running maybe other racers don't want or care to run there and are happy to race @ their usual Friday or Saturday night tracks.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

8/27/20, 1:07 PM   #5
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
"As much as I love our Indiana tracks I’m still troubled by the fact that some are running against it." What does this have to do with other tracks running their regular programs? Just because the smackdown is running maybe other racers don't want or care to run there and are happy to race @ their usual Friday or Saturday night tracks.
Its not a surprise Dan, last year they were complaining that the Indiana tracks were running against the Cornbelt nationals hundreds of miles away.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/28/20, 1:01 PM   #6
flagboy55

Well dirtfan I’m of the belief that non wing sprint cars, specifically USAC is the best racing on the planet. I don’t like that it takes such a backseat to sprints with aero. Then it becomes a redundant theme that we hate to lose our drivers to wings. Well they simply have bigger payouts because they’re more popular. I’ve given up that non wing will ever be more popular than wings but I certainly think it can gain ground. Big events help this cause because more people pay attention. Example MATT Weaver is a columnist that writes primarily nascar and stock car racing. He over the last few years he has written and I believe may have attended Knoxville. I wonder if he even knows Smackdown exists? I’ve said before that Smackdown could become our National’s, but with shallow thinking that’s often displayed towards wingless racing, it’s probably not going to happen. Personally I don’t care if it grows or not I love it the way it is, but don’t whine when we lose another exciting talent to greener pastures

4 members like this post: duel, FALCONEDDIE, Hubie, tirespinner
8/29/20, 3:28 PM   #7
flagboy55

Couple more thoughts. How about that Kyle Cummins. Most of us already knew he’s a bada$$ but man is he proving it. Kokomo track crew once again showing they’re never afraid of hard work to get the job done providing a fine surface in the face of adversity. I think it’s really cool that Bill analog is here also, and Jake Swanson continues to impress. Sure wish I was there with those of you in attendance, please tip one for me!

8/29/20, 6:23 PM   #8
treecitytornado

Bill Balog, is strutting his stuff as an IRA & Winged Regular!! Kyle Cummins, has proven time after time of his abilities & talents! It will be hard to beat Kyle tonight for the $11 Grand!!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/29/20, 7:45 PM   #9
dsc1600

I think it’s crazy that the biggest race at Kokomo this year isn’t Smackdown, it’s that $25k to win late model race that some promoter who rented the track is putting on.

Where is that type of investment In non-winged racing?

4 members like this post: grumpy racer, jim goerge, jonboat15, PIT CART
8/30/20, 2:33 AM   #10
BigWheel7

Race Count This Year: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I think it’s crazy that the biggest race at Kokomo this year isn’t Smackdown, it’s that $25k to win late model race that some promoter who rented the track is putting on.

Where is that type of investment In non-winged racing?
Or the fact the BOSS portion ended up with a bigger car count. Still perplexed by that.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Thoughts