IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bunker Hill Speedway????
1/28/09, 9:33 AM   #1
Bunker Hill Speedway????
indyracefan

Is there a chance this track could reopen? i know they raced a few times in 2008 then closed very suddenly.Do u guys think its a track worth saving? Do they have a new website? I would like to see it reopen i hate to see any track close up for good

1/28/09, 1:53 PM   #2
Re: Bunker Hill Speedway????
worm

I think it is one of the fastest tracks in Indiana the only bad thing noone has had the money to fix it up. From what i have heard the guy who owns it is a shadey one who knows would be great to see someone that had commitment and some money to fix it up. With the right promoter would be great place!
i would say NO it will not :thumbsdown:

Just my thoughts.

1/28/09, 3:06 PM   #3
Joe Kidd

Does anyone remember the sprint car driver that got hurt at Bunkerhill pretty bad when they first opened? It was a paved track at the time and was probably one of the first races there, if not the first. He flipped it pretty much down the front straight and may have even caught fire. He has been on my mind for years and was wondering how he was doing.

1/28/09, 3:57 PM   #4
ajb6

My dad, Dan Bowlen, got burnt there bad Labor Day weekend 1967 if thats what your thinking of. Sunday afternoon race that paid $35.00 to win. He raced for several years after that accident & won alot of races, 20 in 1973, & track championships @ Paragon in 1972 & 1973. Even sat on the front row @ The Little 500 in 1970, driving for Jerry Shields. Orville Yeadon, Shag Burroughs, & a modified driver from either Kokomo or Peru, pulled him out of the car. If anyone would happen to know who that modified driver was, please post it. I know he got burnt helping, so did Orville. Shag arranged for the purse money to be donated from the sprint & late model feature. That was $700. The next weekend @ Paragon they raised $500. If it wasn't for those guys helping, he wouldn't have made it.
Last edited by ajb6; 1/28/09 at 4:03 PM.

1/28/09, 4:06 PM   #5
Joe Kidd

That was him A.J. I'm glad to hear that he went on to race and win. I was only 9 years old at the time. And remember it was an afternoon race. It was a horrific accident and stayed with me for all these years. I wish I knew who the modified driver was. Thanks again and am glad your dad was able to go on and race again and win.

1/28/09, 8:04 PM   #6
Melmo

WOW, JoeKidd now lets add this up you were 9 back in 1967!!! So that would only mean one thing your a seenile old fart!!! :kookoo Now that make a lot of sense on a lot of things!!!

But my understanding was there was a couple of people that lived next to the track that started a bunch of Sh1t and that's why it was shut down!!! :thumbsdown:
Last edited by Melmo; 1/28/09 at 8:08 PM.

1/28/09, 10:00 PM   #7
worm

I doubt that was it melmo the guy next door races a mod. at gas city and has raced for years. I think the big thing is noone can work with the owner.

1/29/09, 7:44 AM   #8
snoopy

I was there and watched the wreck from the pits with a video camera. Never turned it on . Possibly the other driver was Ed Stine from Etna Green and now from Arizona, I believe. If I remember correctly he ran a modified at Plymouth that night with his hands wrapped up. Not positive any more.

1/29/09, 9:18 AM   #9
psullivan

Did Bunker Hill really run in 2008? I drove by there after going to a N.D. football game in 2007 and it looked like it would take an awful lot of money to get that place in shape to race from a safety standpoint alone.

1/29/09, 9:49 AM   #10
BrianBSU23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Did Bunker Hill really run in 2008? I drove by there after going to a N.D. football game in 2007 and it looked like it would take an awful lot of money to get that place in shape to race from a safety standpoint alone.
They started the year and ran a month or two. They didn't even have enough cars to fill a heat race for any of their divisions (they had like 5 divisions).

Track safety wise the track has had some issues I think. Steve Ott a few years ago in his modified had a large rock flipped into his modified from the car in front of him. It went clear through his visor and almost cost him his eyesight if I remember the story correctly.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bunker Hill Speedway????