IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > new bloomington promoter?
2/23/12, 12:05 PM   #51
Re: new bloomington promoter?
Shawn Harper

Sounds like the same thing happening here, that happened to the Warsaw track.

2 members like this post: K9Racer, LittleRube
2/23/12, 2:09 PM   #52
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Seems like the houses keep getting closer and closer to the track

2/23/12, 2:53 PM   #53
Hotshoe65s

If the city ever tried to shut the track down, the track could probably fight it in court and win. I'm sure there is something that says if an establishment has been there long enough than it can not be forced to shut down over. It has sort of been grandfathered in. The people that moved in the same area as the track subconsciously accepted the track being there and the noise that goes along with it. The track was there first.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/23/12, 3:54 PM   #54
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s View Post
If the city ever tried to shut the track down, the track could probably fight it in court and win. I'm sure there is something that says if an establishment has been there long enough than it can not be forced to shut down over. It has sort of been grandfathered in. The people that moved in the same area as the track subconsciously accepted the track being there and the noise that goes along with it. The track was there first.

Posted via Mobile Device
Nope, ask the folks in Warsaw and many other shuttered tracks around the country, that arguement doesnt fly.

---------- Post added at 2:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallsracing View Post
Seems like the houses keep getting closer and closer to the track
Right now its surrounded on all sides but the south side. There is plenty of room to build across the street from the entrance and it wouldnt surprise me to see houses sprouting up there before too long.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: K9Racer
2/23/12, 4:05 PM   #55
Danny Burton

Similar deal here with the airport. Out on the north side and housing creeps ever closer to the airport.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/23/12, 4:43 PM   #56
burris7555

It would make no sense in my opinion for them to ever close Bloomington Speedway down. They could more than likely never build any housing due to the soil being impacted from the years and years of racing. (motor oil, gas, anything petroleum based)

The clean up and removal of the dirt would by far out way the the revenue that the track brings in weekly to the south side of Bloomington.

Thats my opinion though.

I don't think the race track is in city limits either for those who qestioned that....

2/23/12, 4:45 PM   #57
fasterthanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
That's precisely the reason you've always saw Mike promote the slogan "Racing since 1923"

2/23/12, 5:03 PM   #58
ajb6

It's not a matter of the rich people being against it. Everything would be fine if we only raced bicycles on it, and planted some trees in the corners or the infield. As far as the noise issue goes, that's where the curfew comes into play. I think it's midnight, that we're not supposed to race after. That's not usually an issue though. I think Mike has communicated with the "neighbors", and has tried to keep them as happy as possible.

I don't think there is any danger of it being shut down. What I've always heard is if it ever sits idle, then it might be hard to win the fight to start racing there again. I don't see that happening.

Back to the rumor side of things. Obviously, at some point there will be a new promoter. Whether it's now, or Mike keeps it for another 15 years, and a change is made then. As long as the place stays up and running, that's all that matters. We've lost too many short tracks all over the country.

And, Troy that was a cool article last weekend. Enjoyed reading it.
Last edited by ajb6; 2/23/12 at 5:07 PM.

2/23/12, 6:16 PM   #59
aXe

What is that told Saying, Been There done That!
You will have to go down to the 3rd or 4th article to see My take on closing tracks when You click on the link below.
aXe

http://www.openwheelracers3.com/News___Stories.html

2/23/12, 6:41 PM   #60
scott bradley1x

The property to the south of Bloomington speedway on the other side of fairifax road is in a flood plain .

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > new bloomington promoter?